Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I figured it was time to ask this question. I used to have a 2003 350Z a few years ago And it used to make this weird rattling noise when I would mash the gas. Well here recently I Purchased a 2004 350 Z and ironically it makes the same exact noise and from the same location as the 2003 I had. The noise is almost the sound of a rattle spray paint can. And it literally only does it when I mash the gas mostly when the RPMs are low. I’m sure it does it when the RPMs are high but I probably just can’t hear it because of engine noise. I’m assuming something is loose or worn out. has anyone else heard of or had this problem? It’s a very unique noise and ironic that it happened on both of the Z’s that I owned just thought someone may know where to start

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
You seem to be describing detonation if it happens at low RPM and you go to WOT (wide open throttle). What grade of gas are you using in your VQ35DE?

Detonation is when the engine suffers from pre-ignition of the air fuel mixture during combustion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run 93. If I run anything less it smells like rotten eggs. But yea I’m not sure I explained it well enough for an accurate description. Pretty much imagine someone shaking a rattle can every time you hit the gas. I’m looked for loose parts but can’t seem to come up with anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
It still sounds like detonation from your description. The early Z33s ('03-05) models were not known for having any strange sounds like this, but it's now 16-17 years old and it's likely various drivetrain components wearing out. How many miles are on your '04 Z?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Under 75K is not high mileage for aa Z. My '03 Z has over 100K and still runs strong. One way to check for detonation is to test acceleration from a low speed in a higher gear. Let's say you're on a road with a 40 MPH speed limit. Wait until you're clear of traffic and let your speed drop to 30-35 MPH and shift up to fifth gear before dropping the clutch and accelerating. If you hear that same sound, it's likely detonation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So that definitely may be what the problem is. Sound seems to be much worse when in higher gear at low speeds. If I’m already running premium fuel what are other this that could be causing it? Or I just I should ask what other ways could I fix it.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Understand that when you run the Z at low speeds in a higher gear, you're putting a lot of load on the reciprocating drivetrain parts. I usually never let the revs drop below 2K in second through sixth gear, and use my heel/toe and rev match skills to downshift. It takes stress off the engine and reduces clutch and syncro wear. Try not to "lug" your VQ35DE in normal driving, and use your shifting skills to keep it in the power zone.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Thought about this thread a bit more today, and wondered if my answers make sense to you? There really are NO technical answers to running the Z in too low a gear. That holds true for just about any manual transmission car/truck/SUV out there (unless you've got something with massive torque, like a Hellfire V8).

If you're used to driving an automatic, you really can't drive a manual the same way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts