Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I have heard anecdotal evidence (i.e. I can't find you any kind of authorative document on it) that the GT-R's used by Nissan for those Nurburgring times run full slicks and non-standard boost. Of course the 180km/hr speed limiters were also removed.

So depending on your definition of "production car", the GT-Rs did not beat Porsche to the 8 minute mark.

Of course, my understanding is that in Japan its legal to run full slicks on the street and the entire Nismo catalog is available as options....so if you consider those bits to be no different to buying a Holden with the HBD brakes and that still being regarded as "OEM", then technically the GT-R's were "production cars" in their country of origin.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yeap that GTR time was on slicks, i always thought it was an R33

here's benchmark times for the ring

2002 Porsche GT2 462 HP 7 minutes 44 seconds.

2002 Porsche Turbo 420 HP 7 minutes 56 seconds.

2002 Carrera 4S 320 HP 8 minutes 16 seconds.

2002 Carrera 996-110 Coupe 320 HP 8 minutes 20 seconds.

2001 Carrera 996-110 Coupe 300 HP 8 minutes 24 seconds.

so even on slicks and with 'development' boost levels, the rwd GT2 and awd Turbo still whips it

the time for the R34 GTR Nur II spec slots in bw the Carrera 4S and Turbo.......does anyone have the actual time?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'd be interested to know what the R34 Z-Tune runs.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard anecdotal evidence (i.e. I can't find you any kind of authorative document on it) that the GT-R's used by Nissan for those Nurburgring times run full slicks and non-standard boost. Of course the 180km/hr speed limiters were also removed.

From what I've read, there was a lot more done to that car. It had a roll-cage (ie. chasis stiffening), totaly custom suspension, a lot more power, and as people have mentioned it was on slicks. That to me is a race-car, not a road car.

so if you consider those bits to be no different to buying a Holden with the HBD brakes and that still being regarded as "OEM", then technically the GT-R's were "production cars" in their country of origin.

I still say that it is unfair to compare cars on road tyres to cars on R-spec tyres, let alone slicks. Afterall, the same tyres on a different car would give you the same advantage.

Also if the GTR was on slicks, then they would not be road legal anywhere.

the time for the R34 GTR Nur II spec slots in bw the Carrera 4S and Turbo.......does anyone have the actual time?

As far as I know, there has never been an 'official' or 'independent' time time run for a R34 GTR ... I have not even seen one for R33 or R32 with closest being the 8:28.1 listed in the previously mentioned article.

I know that some of the Japanese (like Best Motorring) have had a few cars like that there but I don't think they run on a same configuration of the track as mentioned by the article (or the times poster by TPIACE).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts