·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead:

OK, first some pics...

This was after the "incident".

OK, so fresh, fluffy snow last night.
After shoveling my way out of my house, I knew I'd need to stop at the home depot parking lot (skidpad) before getting into work.
The section I normally play in was being plowed, so I went to a different section.
Ahhh, nice fresh unplowed lot.
I'm heading to the middle of the lot, when I see what looks like a little line in the snow.
WHAM! WHAM!
****, it was a divider that ran the whole center of the parking lot.
So, I'm picturing my chin spoiler hanging off, all mangled up.
I get out, and everything's still there. (see pics).
:headshake:

I'm guessing something's got to be screwed up, but there was nothing I could do.
So, I snapped some pics, and proceeded to decorate the parking lot with "christmas wreaths".
Had fun, but couldn't shake the feeling that I had just f'd up my car.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
:doh: That sucks... hope nothing is wrong with the car. Did the alignment seem ok when you were driving afterwards?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:doh: That sucks... hope nothing is wrong with the car. Did the alignment seem ok when you were driving afterwards?
The short drive into work after that seemed fine.
I'll have to see how it is going home.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hope your Z is not damaged.

What kind of tires are you running?

How did they perform in the snow?

How did the snow affect your VDC system?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope your Z is not damaged.

What kind of tires are you running?

How did they perform in the snow?

How did the snow affect your VDC system?
Blizzak LM22's.
Stock 225/235 sizes on the 17" wheels.
Did OK, didn't seem as good as the Dunlop WinterSport M3's I had on my GTO.

But I didn't get stuck. Even blasting through that 5 inches or snow while I was playing, it kept moving.
On the highway coming in, which was partially plowed, I took it easy, and didn't have any problems.
I only have TCS, which was off during my "maneuvers".
With it on in normal driving, it did what it was supposed to do.
I could keep an easy foot on the gas, and let the TCS worry about slipping.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Nice white wheels you got there. :wink:

Please do not attempt this stunt at home.

·
Registered
450 Posts
you have more guts than I do. I was glad it didn't start to snow until around midnight. I broke out the Jeep and let the Z sleep in. :zzz:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so was it a curb or something that you hit?
Instead of concrete parking blocks, this lot has one long maybe 3 foot wide strip.
When I got out and looked at it, it was just lower than the chin of my car.
Any higher, and my bumper would've been toast.

I can't believe I freakin' did that.
I've still got a sick feeling in my gut.

SON--OF--A--BITCH!!

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Instead of concrete parking blocks, this lot has one long maybe 3 foot wide strip.
When I got out and looked at it, it was just lower than the chin of my car.
Any higher, and my bumper would've been toast.
I can't believe I freakin' did that.
I've still got a sick feeling in my gut.

SON--OF--A--BITCH!!

ahhh.. gotcha. Good to hear all is well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took it to my garage, and they put it up on the lift.

Maybe nicked a metal cover under there , but otherwise, not a scratch.

WHEW!!!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Whew. Glad it turned out okay. :irock:

Reminds me of my snowmobiling days in CT. La - de - dah - 70-80 mph - la - de - dah - log in the way - airborne. :rolf2:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Years ago, our local storeowner had paid a contractor with a relatively small plow to clear his large strip mall parking lot. That past summer several storeowners had that parking lot repaved. I couldn’t wait to whip around on that smooth surface. :irock:

Apparently a snow-plow guy had started some clearing, but did NOT do a complete job. Either he was obviously unaware of the actual lot layout or he just got plain unlucky. He managed to break a couple of those long concrete blocks loose and deposit them in the main aisle. I assume that after he found himself banging into concrete a few times, he just never finished up the job. (He may have broken his plow.)

Any way, with the plow-guy no longer there or even in the way, Frank decided to play a little bit. It was very early and still dark that morning, but I thought, “Wow, I’ve got the whole parking lot to myself.” So I proceeded to rip into the lot, whipping left and right. It was everything that I had waited for each year. It was a lot of fun until ........... WHAM!!! :doh:

It didn’t take very long before I struck one of those partially hidden 6 foot long concrete parking dividers. I never even saw that **** thing. Combined with the diagonal impact and frigid weather, the lip right off my front spoiler broke right off and it also completely destroyed my right front wheel. :xZ!o:

Since I was only a mile and a half from my house, I decided to head back with my flashers switched in the ON position. My RX-7 eventually limped its way home and back into the garage. So, for less than 10 minutes of real fun, it cost me just under a $1,000.00 to fix. I never really did get to replace the front spoiler. :helpsmilie:

I don’t think I’ll be trying out that particular fun anytime soon with my Z. :headshake:

·
Registered
163 Posts
An empty snow covered parking lot is an excellent learning course. It's the perfect way to learn to control your vehicle on slick surfaces.

There are a lot of people that don't grasp the simple concept of turning the wheel into the skid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Frank.

Makes me feel better I'm not the only one.

Luckily someone was watching out for my Z.
I hit that thing square on, drove right over it, and somehow, didn't scratch a thing.
I could have easily smacked it sideways, while sliding around, and it would've been a different story.
I'm going to go back when the snow melts and measure the height of that thing.
Then we'll all know the true ground clearance of our Z's.

When I had it up on the lift later, the mechanic said it was my early christmas present that nothing was touched.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks, Frank.

Makes me feel better I'm not the only one.

Luckily someone was watching out for my Z.
I hit that thing square on, drove right over it, and somehow, didn't scratch a thing.
I could have easily smacked it sideways, while sliding around, and it would've been a different story.
I'm going to go back when the snow melts and measure the height of that thing.
Then we'll all know the true ground clearance of our Z's.

When I had it up on the lift later, the mechanic said it was my early christmas present that nothing was touched.
Thankfully it was the early Christmas present that you needed to hear, for sure. :clap:
Who needs one of those ugly incidents to start off the new year? :OMG:
I'm very glad that it all worked out for you quite nicely. :shiftdrive:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts