Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my first post woot. I bought my Z (triple black paint) back in Aug and here we are in Oct and I've noticed more and more paint is coming off on the front bumper.. This is really depressing the **** outta me.. so I went over to a dealership that had new roadsters in (05) and I noticed on one of them, (I was really really close to the car) it appeared like a vinyl solution has been drawn up covering 100% of the bumper up to 1/8 of the way up the hood. this car was an 03 and the original bumper was probably dinged to ****... well my question is, would these thin ?vinyl? (viels) have better road survival than the Nissan factory Paint? I asked the dealer about the cost ($595) and I found it to be reasonable if it was a better option than vinyl falling apart. From what I understood from the guy if my car loses color overtime so wouldn't the ?vinyl? Are thier any other options besides a bra?!?!?!

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
That is a 3M clear bra.. it seems to be a big hit among z owners. There are quite a few places to get them installed.

A friend of mine wasnt too happy with this.. it is not super durable, and gets chips too.. (more like dents and cuts).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a 3M clear bra.. it seems to be a big hit among z owners. There are quite a few places to get them installed.

A friend of mine wasnt too happy with this.. it is not super durable, and gets chips too.. (more like dents and cuts).
Ya!!!!! but do they show up as white specs? if they don't show up like little speckles on my bumper I think I'm goin this route.. If they do I'll just save up for some masking work and serious clear coating.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
its a trade off.. my friend ripped his while washing it.. it turned into a mess..

It also depends on who you know. You can spend 600$ on a clear bra or ~200$ to get your bumper repainted you could have it painted every year for 3 years for the same price

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha and Welcome,
I have a Llumar Clear Bra on mine. It's on the bumper, front portion of the hood, leading fender edges, and mirrors. Total installed price would have been about $700, but got this and the windows tinted with pinnacle ceramic tint for about $900. It has a lifetime warranty against cracking, peeling, bubbling or yellowing, as long as your the original owner.

I use Ultracoat Wax Protection Plus, a Polymer Urethane Wax Sealer on LadyZ and can wax right over the bra. Only thing extra I do is run the detail brush along the edges of the bra to remove the dry polish. You may want to check if you can do this with your wax.

I will be ordering headlamp shields from Griot's Garage. They're made of 40mil thick polycarbonate vinyl and have a four year guarantee, should run about $60-$70.

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
627 Posts
its a trade off.. my friend ripped his while washing it.. it turned into a mess..

It also depends on who you know. You can spend 600$ on a clear bra or ~200$ to get your bumper repainted you could have it painted every year for 3 years for the same price
With chips in the paint, I would love to find a place that will correctly repaint a bumper for 200 bones. The place I had some work done on my Z said that in order for it to look right, you would need to strip the paint before repainting, and by then, you might as well just buy a new bumper and repaint that. Nowhere near 200 bucks.....more like 1100 for front and rear.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
With chips in the paint, I would love to find a place that will correctly repaint a bumper for 200 bones. The place I had some work done on my Z said that in order for it to look right, you would need to strip the paint before repainting, and by then, you might as well just buy a new bumper and repaint that. Nowhere near 200 bucks.....more like 1100 for front and rear.

That's tough to believe. When I bought my Z there were HUGE rash marks on the front fasica :(

I didn't notice until I took it home. The dealership paid my body shop to do the work. The body shop did NOT have to strip everything away. And it looks spectacular. Bill was just north of $400. But was that much b/c of the circumstances. Normally I pay ~$300 for such repair.

I like the idea of clear bras.. (3m) but I just think the car is lighter without one! :nana:

The rock chips suck though... :punch:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
If you notice, i said "it depends on who you know" I had my front bumper, fenders, AND hood painted for 250$ :nana:

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you notice, i said "it depends on who you know" I had my front bumper, fenders, AND hood painted for 250$ :nana:
And if you notice, I said "I would love to find a place that would do it for 200 bones," so.....hook me up brutha!!! I got two bumpers I need to get repainted....they look like shite!!!!
:nana:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Has anyone approaced Nissan about this problem? I spoke to my dealer, Cherry Hill Nissan (NJ). They claim that it is not a problem and is normal. I told the service writer at the dealership that my position is that it is a defect either in the application of the factory paint, quality of the paint, or the wrong paint for the particular application. The service writer said that all automotive paint is the same, there are no diffferent levels of paint quality and that the only difference from car to car is the thickness of the application of the paint. No, really he said this. All one needs to do is go to DuPont's or PPG's website and look at the various lines of paint they manufacture. I am currently talking to Nissan Corporate about the problem and going to attempt to get them to correct the problem,

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nissan most likely wont do crap for you. Their customer service is as useful as a shirt in a strip joint. Nissan blows, i cant wait to get rid of my car once it is paid off.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
Just checked the Eastwood catalog I just got in the mail, they sell a spray-on chip protection coating. It's a 2-part urethane for "under $150".

Very interesting catalog. Mostly auto tools and supplies for painting, bodywork and detailing. Ordered the Nylon Pry Tool Set to help remove interior trim.

Once the home renovation is done sometime next year, might keep the old oven and try their Powdercoating System. Lots of colors, including translucent and iridescent. They also have a prismatic additive (to produce a chameleon like effect). Best part is they can ship this to Hawaii!

A Hui Hou

PaulO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts