Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful if you go to the Jiffy Lube in Chantilly, VA off of Rt 50 (Lee Jackson Mem Hwy). I went there today, and I was looking for the sign that gave the prices for synthetic oil but could find any. About that time I looked into the garage area and they were filling my car with oil. I immediately turned around and asked if they offered synthetic, she said yes. I then told her that they were already putting oil in my car and they never asked me if I wanted synthetic. So they drained it and put the correct stuff in...I hope.

I never saw them pour any bottles into the oil fill hole. Most places I go to and get synthetic don't keep it in the mass barrels, they have individual quarts of it.

Also, they didn't really seem to know what they were doing. Kinda just going through a step by step checklist, but not really knowing anything about cars. I probably won't be going there again. If I can't do it myself, I'll take it to someplace that has Valvoline. This place only had Mobil 1.

I know, I know, I should do my own oil changes, but we just moved and the garage is still a mess.

·
Registered
598 Posts
i never trust those types of places. i had taken my old girlfriends car to a jiffy liube and come to find out they didnt change the fliter or any of the other stuff thay are supposed to do.
mdzowner

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I had my first oil change done at nissan, and they didnt bother to put the screws back into my underbody spoiler/diffuser. This being on a brand new car with >3000 miles on it. From that day on, I do my own changes. People are retarded.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correction, not Lee Jackson Mem Hwy, it's John Mosby Hwy (RT 50)

BTW - why doesnt the edit button show up???

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I believe there is a time limit on the edit button for original posts. It's either 24 hours or a week (or any time in between). :nana:

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
thanks for the heads up. that is why i always take mine to the dealer (especially since i got free oil changes). another thing to check is to make sure these places are not reusing the cruch washer that goes on the oil drain plug. constant reuse could lead to premature failure on the seal and oil leaks.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
[/quote]

I've used the same washer for the past two changes that I did.. I think changing it every other change is a good idea. Am I right? OR does it really need to be changed every single oil change?

I've got like 11K miles on my ride FYI.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When I first got the Z I took her to Kwik Kar for her first oil change. I could not see the emchanics working on my car at Nissan and wanted to make sure that they actually pout in the type of oil that I requested.

Most of the employees are upstairs complimenting me on the Z and explaining to me why they would never buy anything else but Ford :goodtimes: (welcome to the South). I think they sent the rookie downstairs to change my oil because the next thing I hear was "uh oh". This guy thought, for a moment, that he unscrewed the wrong plug and wash emptying my transmission fluid. :headshake:

Since that day I do all the oil changes myself.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
[/quote]

I've used the same washer for the past two changes that I did.. I think changing it every other change is a good idea. Am I right? OR does it really need to be changed every single oil change?

I've got like 11K miles on my ride FYI.
<div align="right">[snapback]88857[/snapback]
[/quote]

i think you can get away with that, even though the service manual says to change it every time the drainplug is removed

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Why would you want to "get away with that?" I asked my parts guy for some washers and he gave me a handful. ????

All I can really do anymore is change my oil and air up the tires.

For Gods' sake - change your own oil!

One of my colleagues took his S-10 to Chevy for an oil change. The now retired changer didn't fully tighten the filter. It came off - engine gone.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts