Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3.58 final drive ratio isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I am into acceleration, not going 150 mph. I have seen the 3.91 ring and pinion gears, for next to 900 bucks! Anyway instead of paying 1200 for a cat back exhaust or 300 for a cold air kit, I'd rather swap rear end ratios and have the blinding acceleration I'm looking for. I know what it will do to my top end and my I know it will shorten my gears between shifts. I'm staying non FI so I will be fine.

I'm curious what other Nissans use the same center chunk. I'm guessing the Armada does. Anything else. I know the Xterra and the Frontier have a solid rear axle but the center chunk could still be the same. Nissan parts department at 4 different dealerships have been no help.

I'd like to be able to find a third member (center chunk) with somewhere around a 3.91 ratio from the factory. That way all I'd need to do is pull the axles and swap thirds.

Thanks in advance guys.

Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand where it is and how to make the swap. Thanks for the wlecome.

What I'm asking is what rear end does the Z have? And is there any other Nissans that have the same center chunk? I can't set up ring and pinion gears, but I could pull the axles and swap the third members.

I am almost 100% sure the Armada rear end is the same but the ratio is way too low at 2.92. The Nissan Parts counter at 4 different dealerships have been clueless, no help.

Anyone know their Nissan rear ends?

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
yeah, but I don't think any NISSAN rear diff is going to have the gearing you want.

My advice, if you want a different ratio, is to just buy the parts from 350EVO. Or buy an additional "center" section as you are calling it.

I don't have any clue what other rear diff would be swappable.

The Stock Z has a 3.5xx rear end. Most N/A users go to 3.917.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, the Armada is obviously out.

The only other Nissan/Infinity cars that even have power at the rear are:
350Z auto a manual (different ratios)
G35 Coupe (same gearing as Z's I think)
G35 sedan (probably a mild final drive)
Frontier (truck-based rear diff may not be compatible with car-based)
Xterra (same as above)
Murano (this is car based, but not sure on rear diff)

You might try an older 300ZX or 300ZXTT diff. I know the diff housing is different, but the ring an pinion sizes might be the same. I could be worth hunting around a junk yard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by peptidbond@Jun 27 2005, 12:07 PM
Well, the Armada is obviously out.

The only other Nissan/Infinity cars that even have power at the rear are:
350Z auto a manual (different ratios)
G35 Coupe (same gearing as Z's I think)
G35 sedan (probably a mild final drive)
Frontier (truck-based rear diff may not be compatible with car-based)
Xterra (same as above)
Murano (this is car based, but not sure on rear diff)

You might try an older 300ZX or 300ZXTT diff. I know the diff housing is different, but the ring an pinion sizes might be the same. I could be worth hunting around a junk yard.
[snapback]122632[/snapback]​

I was thinking truck based because it would almost definately come with limited slip. As long as the ring and pinion are the same the third member should bolt up.

I'm going to continue digging.

I'll post back if I get any answers.

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
hey whats up i was thinking about doin the same thing 900 just for a **** rear gearset is ridiculous how about the titan that is a truck and **** like most others it may come with 410 gears hehehehehe that would be fun but the titan and the armada have the same rear so might want to look into that and i think that the rear is a dana 30 but i know it is def a dana

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I believe 350EVO's final drive is from another Nissan (paticularly a Nissan that is not made anymore).

Personally, I think you'll be hard pressed to find one that will fit on the Z.

BTW, parts for the 350Z are only expensive because the Z is not as popular as the Mustang/Camaro/Firebird/etc. Things are not cheap for a market that makes up about 10% of one of those cars.

Not to mention the fact that 350EVO has NO competition for this part. They can price it wherever they want and you'll pay or you won't get it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our 3.9 final drive is a custom made gear. It is not out of another Nissan. When comparing final drives to a mustang or camaro....yes its a little more expensive.....but in retrospect it is priced very competitive for other cars that 350Z is matched against. S2000, NSX, 996
Bang for the buck.....its the real deal.
Most exhaust systems out there are around the same price...and I guarantee you will feel the diff with the 3.9 over any exhaust system.
The steel market is very friendly at the moment which has had an effect on the pricing of the final drives.
Cheers
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by Dwnshift@Jul 13 2005, 10:44 AM
Our 3.9 final drive is a custom made gear. It is not out of another Nissan. When comparing final drives to a mustang or camaro....yes its a little more expensive.....but in  retrospect it is priced very competitive for other cars that 350Z is matched against. S2000, NSX, 996
Bang for the buck.....its the real deal.
Most exhaust systems out there are around the same price...and I guarantee you will feel the diff with the 3.9 over any exhaust system.
The steel market is very friendly at the moment which has had an effect on the pricing of the final drives.
Cheers
[email protected]
[snapback]131226[/snapback]​

I cannot WAIT to get my 350EVO final drive!!!

:shiftdrive:

·
Registered
3 Posts
diffs you could swap into the 350Z

Z32- limited slip diff
manual 4.11
auto/tt 3.79ish same with the J30 diffs,

the strongest of them all is the Q, but its up there with the 3.55ish crowd

with some research, and yard time, one would know for sure the mounting locations, cv coupler mountings to figure out what needs done. I usually have my local machine shop adapt the shaft to the inner flange on diff swaps.
its really not that hard to do, but will probably cost you 750 in the end.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
I believe 350EVO's final drive is from another Nissan (paticularly a Nissan that is not made anymore).

Personally, I think you'll be hard pressed to find one that will fit on the Z.

BTW, parts for the 350Z are only expensive because the Z is not as popular as the Mustang/Camaro/Firebird/etc. Things are not cheap for a market that makes up about 10% of one of those cars.

Not to mention the fact that 350EVO has NO competition for this part. They can price it wherever they want and you'll pay or you won't get it.
(In a friendly tone, as I'm an easy going guy) I'm not arguing the point that things are expensive, but under the definition of "popular" the Z line of sports cars from the 240 through the 370 are the "best selling sports car series" so I would think they have more than 10% of the market...
Nissan Z-car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
(In a friendly tone, as I'm an easy going guy) I'm not arguing the point that things are expensive, but under the definition of "popular" the Z line of sports cars from the 240 through the 370 are the "best selling sports car series" so I would think they have more than 10% of the market...
You need to consider it in context.

The series might be great selling, but parts between the S30 to Z34 aren't interchangable. And people need to manufacture for a specific car?

How many 350Z's/G35s do you see getting around vs those muscle cars mentioned (which would also platform share from the same manufacturer)? Especially if you're talking about modified ones?

The economies of scale in producing for something like the Mustang, which I gather sells like hotcakes in the US, means that the R&D costs per unit sold are far lower than for our car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts