Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we are having this discussion on exhausts....

I notice that no one in Oz seems to be doing anything with their cats. (ie Replacing with more free flowing units rather than test pipes) It was my understanding that the units on our cars were rather restrictive. Apart from any legal issues (which doesn't seem to stop most people) why not? Any comments both for & against.

Tks

Jag

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Honestly beyond all legal reasons I dont see why not many people in OZ dont. The stock cats are the most restrictive parts of our exhaust. You cant go wrong with going with test pipes (except that they are a little raspy), or especially high flow cats.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think there are a couple of cars with high flow cats (or at least one)
Hopefully they may chime in.

I know removing the cats (test pipes) is illegal, but replacing with high flow types would probably be ok.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
[/quote]

I believe that here in the states it is illegal regardless to take your stock cats off unless there is a problem with them. Not sure what the law is in the OZ.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
there is some cats that are illegal. I'm following the restirction law in USA would be almost similar in OZ. The SMOG test is sounded pretty similar. Therefore i'm following their law.

There is a Couple of Cats that Passed the SMOG test (smelling), and Visual.
1. RT highflow cats( don't think u can get them anymore, suffering lot's of problem)
2. Crawford Highflow cats (best to nothing, this is what i'm using currently no raspy at all)
3. Kinetix high flow (Always have some fitment issue, yet the cheapest)

There is some more cats, but i couldn't remember them. All test pipe or Resonated test pipe won't pass the SMOG test in USA.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nobody wants the legal issues for a few kw gain i guess!

It would make sense to do it if you convert to FI as you'll need to certify the car anyway. But not for the small mods we have done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts