Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some money to spend and I wanted to go for a good catback system for my car. Im still fairly new to the 350z world so I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out:

1) What is proven to be better on our cars x-pipe, h-pipe, Y-pipe?

2) Why do I see some pics with 350zs with only one tip on the rear bumper side? I thought a dual dual catback is the way to go?

3) What comes stock on the 350z (h-pipe or y-pipe) ? Would an X-pipe make the catback sound louder?

4) what is the best exhaust/catback system in your opinion? please give me a link.

5) I assume all catbacks simply bolt on? how does that work for x-pipes ? anything needs to be welded?

6) Requirements:

- the Cats are staying
- need something that would sound like the car is got some balls (agressive)
- 1 exhaust tip on each side is a must
- exhaust tips must look cool
- not buying a catback that sounds like a fart can, dont care if it makes 100hp. lol.
- must be a good quality well known catback - im probably buying something expensive. (if im doing it once im doing it right).

6) Findings so far:
So far I found a vid of a blue 350z with a Topspeed Pro N1 exhaust and it sounded cool (dunno if it has cats or headers though?). I have no idea whats really good out there. I'd appreciate some feedback.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you are going to want the car to sound like it has balls then I suggest you thinking over the cats issue. High Flow Cats will give you a good performance increase and sound great. I have the Crawford high flow cats and im very pleased. They are not nasty loud like some other ones are out there. If you want I can see if I can get you a Video clip so you can hear it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hey dude. Let your fingers do the walking & do some searches!
You will find what ur are looking for hopefully. If you don't, then ask a zillion questions!

·
Registered
281 Posts
[/quote]
Agreed, if you want it to sound aggressive, I would change the stock cats, I have the RT Cats w/the Japtrix Y-Pipe, B-Pipe and the stock canister right now. It sounds pretty quiet at idle but when you step on it the Cats are what bring it to life not the Y and B Pipes. I have the Pro 1 exhaust sitting in my garage right now, I got a great deal on it a few weeks ago but now I'm thinking it might be too loud. It starts after the Y-pipe, meaning you would either have to use the stock Y or get another aftermarket one. If you want my Pro 1 just shoot me a PM...Good luck w/whatever direction you go in

·
Registered
57 Posts
How much do you wanna spend? There are a ton of aftermarket exhausts for the car. Exhaust is anyway from $500.00 (borla single pipe) to $2250.00(amuse R1 titan) The amuse is so much because its all titanium it weighs in at 19lbs which is way less than the stock 64lbs. if you want volume you are def. change the cats to high flow at least. Nismo's S-tune system is beautiful chrome tastefull sized tips good volume increase as well as perfect fittment. Stillens exhaust is also very nice dual side by side mufflers and similar tips to the nismo. Stillen is about $1000.00, nismo bout $800-900. Injen i feel would be to "kiddish" for you and i like the borla true dual but it is very common. So but spending a little more you can get something no one else has. I have a place that can give you a good deal on injen and borla if you want. stillen has to be bought from stillen and nismo from nissan or some other site.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
1) What is proven to be better on our cars x-pipe, h-pipe, Y-pipe?
I believe all the true-duals are H-Pipe.. I have not seen any X-pipes, but since you have money to spend why not go custom?

2) Why do I see some pics with 350zs with only one tip on the rear bumper side? I thought a dual dual catback is the way to go?
Any single tips you see are custom jobs, or aftermarket single pipes.

3) What comes stock on the 350z (h-pipe or y-pipe) ? Would an X-pipe make the catback sound louder?
Y-pipe comes stock

4) what is the best exhaust/catback system in your opinion? please give me a link.
There are too many out there, sorry that our product reviews is down right now, because it has almost all of them listed.. I will see about getting it back up soon.

5) I assume all catbacks simply bolt on? how does that work for x-pipes ? anything needs to be welded?
The stock exhaust is broken up like this:

ENGINE---HEADERS---CATS---Y-PIPE--EXAUST

You can replace any single piece or all of it at once. Some exhausts go all the way up to the CATS, while others just go to the Y-Pipe.

6) Requirements:

- the Cats are staying
- need something that would sound like the car is got some balls (agressive)
- 1 exhaust tip on each side is a must
- exhaust tips must look cool
- not buying a catback that sounds like a fart can, dont care if it makes 100hp. lol.
- must be a good quality well known catback - im probably buying something expensive. (if im doing it once im doing it right).
-I would drop the Cats, or get high flow cats
-remove cats :)
-most exhausts have the dual tip look (but not all are dual exhausts!
-they all sound different
-most of the exhausts for the Z are high quality.. stay away from Ebay knockoffs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the replies folks :cheers:

[/quote]

jmcmorante, if you could really do that i would REALLY appreciate it. Well thanks for the response. Im now considering them.

1) How much did you pay for those hi flo cats that you bought?

-----------

[/quote]

Ok well thanks for letting me know. PM is on its way.

------------

toykilla, thanks for the detailed reply. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.

-------

Guys, new questions :) :
1) whats the loudest catback?
2) Which catback is the best in performance?
3) The main reason I didnt want to mess with the stock cats is because I noticed deleting the cats (or getting hi flow ones), "usually" increases 'noise' rather than the 'volume' of the exhaust ... I even noticed that deleting the cats (or getting high flow cats) on most cars increases the interior exhaust volume. But I still have no experience on 350z so maybe you guys could clear all that up for me?
4) The only exhaust clip i've seen so far has the Pro 1 system. What do you guys think of that system? I've heard people saying it could be too loud, should I keep the stock cats or get hi flow cats along with the Pro 1?
5)anyone got a link for a pro 1 exhaust seller?
6)Would my car throw an SES light for messing with the stock cats? If so, whats the fix?

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
[/quote]

1. not really sure on that one, and sound clpis really do not give you depth as far as how loud it is, only the tonal change.

2. IMO, i think a true dual woudl have a better HP gain than a y-pipe setup unless you are going forced induction, where you want a bit of restriction in the system. But whichever system you get the gains will be barely noticable, maybe 5-7 hp at the most.

3. yeah, deleting the cats and going to test pipes will increase the volume. high flow cats will too but not as loud as test pipes.

4. that is a tough one, since i have no experience with the pro 1 at all.

5. check out our vendor forum. i am sure one of them sells the pro 1 or you can request for one there.

6. only if you forget to rehook up the O2 sensors or you accidentaly have premature cat failure (seems this is common for Random Tech cats) where the insides of the cat just disentigrate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve350Z, thanks for the response man.

Questions still unanswered:

1) whats the loudest catback?

2) Whats the best catback out there when it comes to performance? (using stock y-pipe).

3) The only exhaust clip i've seen so far has the Pro 1 system. What do you guys think of that system? I've heard people saying it could be too loud, should I keep the stock cats or get hi flow cats along with the Pro 1?

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts