Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya pplz,

As you may know I have been in the hunt for a 350Z and have finally settled on one. :)

I am currently doing some work in Newcastle, but will be back in Sydney for the weekend. Does anyone wanna meet up for a drive? I am planning on going through the Old Pacific Hwy on friday arvo "to bypass the traffic" ;) hehehe. I am going to be heading back to Melbourne soon too (that's where I live) so would be great to put some faces to the names on the board.

When I had the Type R, I knew just about everyone from the Honda Sporta Car Club from QLD, NSW and Vic!!!! :)

I am hoping to get to Wakefield before I go back to Melbourne too and see if I can slaughter my ITR time there ;)

Iggy

·
Registered
562 Posts
Depends on time and location, but I'm up for it. And for once my car is clean and shinny since I didn't do any road trips :)

So is it going to be a meet, drive or a cruise?

By the way, how are you enjoying your car?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I say a meet up and a small cruise? Sat morning I play soccer and Sunday nights I play tennis, so those times are out. An early start on Sunday perhaps for a cruise up the old pacific? (as you can tell, I love that road!) Nothing too fast, as Sunday's police field day out there usually.

As for how I am enjoying the car? I am bloody loving it!!! :D It has a hitech already, and the sound and accelartion is great. The torque is fantastic (coming from a VTEC engine!) and in fact I have to really re-adjust as I am finding myself switching to 1st when I really don't need to jerk the car a bit, cause I had to do that in my ITR.

Also, I am quite fond of the VDC (in the rain). This morning it was pissing down on my way to Newcastle and I found it so easy to drive despite very greasy roads. The VDC would kick in a little to stop a small wheel-spin here and there, but didn't annoy me. In the dry it does get the in way if you want to "drop a patch" ;)

I test drove the Z 2 years ago, when they first came out and didn't like it. That was straight from an ITR to a Z. I felt it just ran out of steam at the high revs and either needed more revs or something else. Well that something else is the hitech exaust IMHO. For me, that made the difference in buying vs not buying (I went for a ride with David before decided on teh Z over the S2000).

Anyway, I love it. :)

Iggy

[/quote]

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Congrats on the 350Z Iggy! Good to see that you've got all the details sorted and finaly got the car.

I am hoping to get to Wakefield before I go back to Melbourne too and see if I can slaughter my ITR time there ;)

I think you HAVE to go to Wakefield while you're up there and see how you not only like the car there, but also how you go.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's an event on on 16th of May, but I don't think I can make it there. I will check the calendar to see if there is anything early June (I think I will still be here!). My target is low 1:13s on first time out. Even on stock tyres, I should be getting near there considering my time in the ITR was basically without 2nd gear! (if you recall I had all sorts of problems with 2nd and 3rd gears).

As for the drive on Sunday, I might be able to get a few guys from the S2000 club to join us if you like... Wayne's supercharged S2000 is good fun! :)

[/quote]

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
My target is low 1:13s on first time out. Even on stock tyres, I should be getting near there considering my time in the ITR was basically without 2nd gear.

Yeah, you did very low 1:15s with the IT-R and the RE540s then ... right? 1:13 would put you just over a second slower then the Warren Full's time from BFYB ... far from impossible, but you've got your work cut out for you ... you better get out there :) I'm sure some of the Sydney guys will chime in let you know what times they've managed so far.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Congrats on the buy. Depending on the details, I will bring my car out for some street driving.

I've got a dyno night to attend this weekend (my car won't be going on the rollers but I'm hanging out with fellow Nissan enthusiasts) but, let me know.

As for a 1:13 on Wakefield, its definitely achievable but it will take work. How many times have you done Wakefield? Pulling 1:15's in a Type-R is a pretty good effort (was it heavily modified?), so I don't doubt that you're quick. However, the Z is a very different beast to drive and unless you're used to big, RWD cars it will take time to adjust your driving style.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a 1.15.05 at Wakefield ... could've done better if I could switch 2nd to 3rd without hassles. :)

I've been to Wakefield about 4/5 times... can't remember. It's a great track to learn a car, as it's so safe.

The ITR had RE540 tyres (on their 10th track day), and discs/pads upgrade (DBA slotted/RB74 from RaceBrakes). Other than that it was stock.

I totally agree with you that the Z will take time to get used to... which is why I am so keen on Wakefield, sa it's such a great track to do that. However, I did something like 16-18 track days/weekends in my ITR over a 2 year period, so I hope that will help my transition ;) I am by no means the fastest driver out there, I just like to set challanging targets ;)

You don't want to know what my target for Phillip Island is ;) hehehe

The one for Winton is easy - beat DavidM :nana:

[/quote]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, details so far: 8am start on Sunday morning for a medium paced run up the old pacific hwy.

At the current standing, we're looking at:
Iggy
Wayne (Supercharged S2000)
[Wayne's mate in 350Z Anniv.]
[Wayne's cousin in Cooper S]
[Scathing]
KY350
Nuff

[] are yet to be confirmed :)

I'll see what other interest I can dig up on the S2000 forum.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Guys - I have just been reminded that Sunday is Mother's day, and I have already booked and paid for lunch. So I will probably have to miss the meeting, unless it is a quick get together.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Oh wait!

The NSCC has a morning drive on this Sunday. Unfortunately its "members only" so I'd probably get in a lot of trouble if I invited you guys. :(

Torn....which one to go to? The NSCC boys are great for a drive but it'd be nice to catch up with you guys too!

Put me down as a maybe.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Originally posted by Iggy_Type_R@May 2 2005, 03:44 PM
I've been to Wakefield about 4/5 times... can't remember. It's a great track to learn a car, as it's so safe.

The ITR had RE540 tyres (on their 10th track day), and discs/pads upgrade (DBA slotted/RB74 from RaceBrakes). Other than that it was stock.

If you're pulling 1:15 on semi slicks and uprated brakes on a track as technical as Wakefield in a lightweight corner carver like a DC2R or DC5R then I'd say you'll struggle to pull 1:13's in a dead stock Z33.

The Brembos should be OK in this weather (I've been out on the track with a guy on Michelin Pilots and I believe stock pads, and he never faded) but if you're trying hard the RE040s will go after 3 laps and won't provide anywhere near the grip of semi slicks. Its also easier to push a FWD car to its limits, and you had experience in the car, whereas managing the weight transfer in a very heavy RWD car is a learning experience.

I look forward to be proven wrong though, when you post 1:13's for us.

Also, if you're going to be up for a few weeks longer and you have a L2S, you can always take a shot at Eastern Creek on the 13th. The walls are a little closer in some spots, but there's still plenty of runoff where it counts and the track is far smoother and flowing so it suits our cars more than Wakefield.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[/quote]

I don't expect it to run for more than 3 hours, so say start 8am, finish 11 to 11:30am. Besides, you can always turm back onto the freeway and head back at 11 if we're running behind schedule! :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[/quote]

As you rightly pointed out, it will tkae time getting used to a heavier RWD car... and there are walls. And that is just a bad combination! I've never been to EC, so perhaps after I get back on Phillip Island and Winton and get back in the groove of things, I'll head over to EC. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Eastern Creek is an easier track to drive near the limit. Wakefield is very technical, and it took me a long time to feel comfortable on the track. Eastern Creek was piss-easy in comparison. It took me far less time to get up to speed, and I didn't feel like I was fighting the car as much while I was getting to know the track.

Anyway, good luck. Sunday I'm probably out, but if you keep the details updated here I might come along.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I will be there.

I had the NSCC breakfast date wrong.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Have we got a meeting point yet?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[/quote]
Correction, Waitara Maccas. gimme a buzz on 0411 884057 and we'll discuss.

My mate in the superscharged S2000 is in Crows Nest, and I am coming from Dover Heights. Are you anywerhe on the way/nearby?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'll not be able to make it to the meet since I'm going to be moving from the CBD out into the burbs. But at least now I'll have a LUG :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts