Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a simple interior DIY, but really hides those fingernail scratches on the 350Z door pull covers. Purchased from ZCF Covers (ebay vendor); they use a high quality insert and permanent adhesive. Here's the steps I took:

1. Cleaned the surfaces with 3M adhesive remover. Didn't have to disassemble anything, but that's an option.

2. Test fit the pieces to make sure you know the orientation. They're precisely cut and fit into the corners without any leeway, so you get one chance to get these inserted properly before the adhesive sets up.

3. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm-up the insert and in particular the adhesive side. Pull the backing and use a little finger pressure to bend the insert into shape.

4. The adhesive sets up quickly and cannot be slid much, so get the placement correct. I used one side to ensure I had the placement correct before allowing the insert to "pop" into place.

5. Use finger pressure from one side to another to ensure the full insert is attached firmly. Since it's cold here in Colorado, I used the heat gun once again to soften the insert slightly as I went over the inserts a second time.

Total time: 40 minutes. It's a bit blingy, but these CF inserts do a good job of covering up some worn parts and brightening the cabin a bit.

·
Super Moderator
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update- with the subfreezing temps we've had in Denver recently, I've only had the chance to drive the Z a few times. But the last time out, the thin CF trim piece that wraps around the outside barrel of the PS air vent came completely off. I could try using the heat gun to attempt reattaching it, but I fear I may have moved it too much when first applying it. The rest of the applique' continues to look good, but this is a tricky detail to the installation of this product.

·
Super Moderator
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Summer update: this has proven to be a good and durable cosmetic mod, with the exception of the thin CF strip that wraps around the door vents on both doors. They come loose and yet seem to "stick" in place when I carefully wrap them around the air vent. They still prevent fingernail scratches from appearing on the inside barrels of the door pulls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts