Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a carbon hood and hatch and I'll be taking my car up to anchorage, alaska in a few months. Does anybody have any experience with carbon fiber in extreme cold?

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
most people "winter" their cars and not many actually live in extreme winter conditions like in alaska. which BTW would be the last place i would ever consider owning a Z.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I imagine you're ok. Carbon fiber is used in some pretty harsh environments, including aircraft at high altitudes, where it gets very cold. Used on spacecraft too I believe. I'd be gentle with it in those conditions though, carbon is already brittle in normal temp ranges.

I applaud you for buying a RWD sports car in a snowy local. Now go get some studded tires and begin hooning it up on the ice and snow.

~Pat

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Jeez, Pat. It doesn't snow year round there. :lol: I imagine it's much like MN, and snow covers the ground about 5 months out of the year.

BTW, a question to the OP. How will you be taking the Z up to Alaska in a few months when it's going to be winter time then?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Way to go Dave, bringing those fact things into the equation :wink:. You'd make a lousy politician.

Still think carbon fibre will be fine.

~Pat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everybody. It only snows up here about 5 months out of the year, plus they keep the roads plowed really well. I have a set of Blizzak tires for the winter time. I'm going to go ahead and keep the carbon on, just being even more careful with it then before. SmoothZ it's actually going to be more than a few months, it'll be in the april time frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts