Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if carbon fibre bonnets are illegal in brisbane? im thinking of getting the veilside one from ebay. EBAY

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sam:

Some top quality CF bonnet with vents actually come with the rain collectors/covers... so you can easily bolt them on when it rains... not a big deal there!

I do really like the Hasemi Motorsport CF hood though...

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Murray:

This is the one:

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.hasemi-ms.com/z_bon.jpg');}" />

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.hasemi-ms.com/z_fr.jpg');}" />

The full kit is nice and clean too!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i asked the seller if they were illegal and he said that they are but he said he will install it for free. does anyone know what sort of fines i might get if i get caught with it?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
imo u can only pull off the vented race style bonnets if u have an equally OTP bodykit and rims, but each to their own.........and do post pics

i personally would buy a CF bonnet that looks the same as stock

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
alan:

I THINK the CF bonnet might still be legal in Victoria though as long as the standard bonnet latch is still working with the hook on the bonnet (can lock the hood in place)... That's why many insurance companies accept those CF bonnets... car insurance never got declined with those bonnets installed when those cars involed in accidents though... but don't take my words because I am not 100% sure as well.

And if you really want to say what's legal and what illegal... I think whatever you replace on the car aftermarket (if not from the car manufacturer) are mostly "technically" illegal though... (that's just what I was told by many car traders).

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
The laws are different from state to state, so you're best off finding out from your local Motor Registry / Traffic Authority / Whatever.

In NSW, there are only a handful of modifications you can make to your car that are "user certifiable" for legality. Everything else has to be inspected and approved by an RTA-ratified automotive engineer.

Fibre bonnets (carbon or glass) tend to be illegal in NSW. Most of them are just a single piece, without a supporting skeleton that you see on OEM bonnets. Without that support they're not legal.

There may be other factors (like the fact that some of them, in an accident, will snap at their mounting points and fly through the windshield, decapitating the occupants) that go against their favour. That they don't bend, only shatter, when loaded up also means they're not particularly "safe".

There are some pedestrian impact laws in Australia, but they haven't stopped people from selling dangerously engineered (for the hittee, not hitter) bull bars on 4WDs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts