Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys just wondering. is installing a carbon Fibre hood will defect your vehicle? Because was thinking of getting the Hasemi Carbon Fibre hood.

Cheers
Yun

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Having a carbon fiber hood on your car should have no effect on it at all. It is just a cosmetic panel that has the same function as the stock hood. The only difference is if it has openings in it to allow for air flow then it will provide extra cooling of the engine which is a good thing. I have a few openings in my hood and I run my car in all types of weather including rain and snow and I have not had any problems.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Zxrage
Unfortunately db350z is referring to Australian Design Rules and the enforcement of the rules here in the Police State of Victoria we have very strict laws to what you can and can't do to your late model cars, not unlike your Cali CARB rules but we also have to have our car inspected by and engineer if you modify it to certify it meets ADR or it can be deem defective, we have rules on the maxium width you can increase you rims by, how low you can dump the car ie 100mm ground clearance on any part of the car etc.

db350z
As long as the new bonnet does not restrict the drivers view and is fasten to the car in the same way as the OEM one it should be fine and does not matter that it's made of carbon fibre.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
db350z - Seen lots of CF hoods about, so I don't think there would be a issue with legality of its use.

ZTRACK - have you got a certificate from APS yet?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't believe it is legal even though the hood provides no strength to the chassis. They will try to defect you as the hood *may* have different characteristics in a pedestrian frontal accident.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don't know whether the ADR has anything about hood & materials. In Europe (I think) they test cars for pedestrian impact, but that shouldn't make any difference what the material of the hood is made of but more about the angle & height of the impact area.

I would check with your insurance company whether they have any thoughts on affecting your policy?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why are we calling them hoods now?

Anyway I'm not sure if they're legal or not but one reason they may not be is that they won't crumple the way the stock one would as part of the front crumple zone. In fact real carbon fibre usually fractures into nice sharp edges.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Sorry about that, I didn't realize all that is involved with modding your Z in Australia. I guess that means you guys really have to do your homework before you change anything.

Not to get off the subject... I would have to admit that the laws are much more relaxed in the states, but there are certain things here and there that must pass an inspection every 2 years, unless you change it back to stock just to pass. Good luck with your mods, hopefully they will be legal.

As for the term "hoods", I guess I started that, but I do know that you traditionally refer to them as bonnets. Are there any other different words you guys have for your cars like, doors, trunks, seats, etc? Hope everyone is doing well over there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah RIZKY - that's my understanding of it also.

Chop up a pedestrian and blow your 3rd party, you could loose your house!

FRIZZ

·
Registered
303 Posts
Any "structural" changes to our cars need to come with an engineers certificate.

Once you have that you can go postal and run over anyone without losing the house!...hmmm... maybe not!

Seriously though, alot can be done but it'll cost. Bigtime! You have to indemnify yourself of any fault so as to prevent the insurance companies from screwing you. Simple as that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
zuffy

If we apply the ADR rules to the full letter of the rulings, 90% of the guy's cars on this forum and indeed the general motorist out there would not be technically illegal, ie; you have changed the suspension on your car, do you have an engineer's certificate for that mod, it technically has not been tested on that car to comply with ADR. I know they are technically superior springs and shocks but the car now does not comply with it's orginal ADR certificate, only genuine parts or accessories comply.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
We are thinking about this one too much, i did a search on the net and couldnt find anything on crashes with aftermarket bonnets. Surely there would be some horror story on the net if this was the case.

Im all for sticking to AD Rules but I put this in the same category as body kits. You could slice a pedestrian into pieces with an aftermarket front bar or spolier as well couldnt you? Maybe we should stop running over pedestrians.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Nah, I like them more when they are on bicycles!
They can share my piece of road as long as they show me their $700.00 worth of rego papers!
Then I might not try to run them off the road.
Might invest in a Carbon Fibre hood now!!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
mchpman

I agreed, bull bars make a real mesh of any pedestrians are they illegal, no!! go figure.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Originally posted by ZTRACK@Jan 7 2005, 04:16 PM
zuffy

If we apply the ADR rules to the full letter of the rulings, 90% of the guy's cars on this forum and indeed the general motorist out there would not be technically illegal, ie; you have changed the suspension on your car, do you have an engineer's certificate for that mod, it technically has not been tested on that car to comply with ADR. I know they are technically superior springs and shocks but the car now does not comply with it's orginal ADR certificate, only genuine parts  or accessories comply.

The RTA rules allow "minor" modification of a street car to allow for "individualisation".

Things they don't allow are "structural" changes. Like converting to FI or changing every panel to carbon fibre. Nearly every mod can be legal with an engineer cert. They just want to indemnify themselves beyond the basic rules set.

As for shocks and springs. The rules dictate what is legal. The new shocks don't need to be ADR tested. As an example of an item they require to be tested.... look at your CATs. Replacing them with a more efficient unit that is non certified is illegal, go figure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Onther thing to think about is new pedestrian safety regulation. CF is much harder to deform than Aluminium, so if you impact pedestrian youre more likely to cause serious injury.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Originally posted by mickyboy@Jan 7 2005, 04:34 PM
Nah, I like them more when they are on bicycles!
They can share my piece of road as long as they show me their $700.00 worth of rego papers!
Then I might not try to run them off the road.
Might invest in a Carbon Fibre hood now!!!!

I hope/think you're joking but...

I cycle although I'm into MTBing but I still ride on the road if I need to. Don't blame the cyclists, blame the RTA for not building bicycle friendly roads.

Yes some of the cyclists are morons just like like there are moronic drivers or any other group you wish to name.

Swerving at cyclists is stupid. I've had it done to me by people who thought it was funny. In return I've kicked cars, smashed taillights and in one case the rear windscreen. They didn't think that was so funny.

Oh and if you're paying $700 in rego you're being ripped off.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Roads are for cars! I don't mind sharing the road with bike riders, but I do mind when some riders think that they can take a whole lane or even worse two of them ride side by side, that pisses me off.

Yes I have hit a bike rider at 90 km/h on a highway. The fu## just rode straight across an exit, and I could not avoid hitting him. He flew for about 30 metres!

If riders pay, then I will share!

Anyway, enough stealing this thread. Sorry db350z

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
So who was liable for the damage to your car?

I don't enjoy sharing the road with slow moving cyclists (especially the pack riders that want to take one of two highway lanes in peak hour traffic. They cause massive delays behind then and the road is totally clear once you get passed them - pisses me off big time). Cyclists should be forced to take out rego (only a minor cost as they are afterall users of the roads that currently only motorists pay for) and also should be forced to take out CTP insurance to pay for any damage they cause as a result of their negligence. Then I would not be so pissed off at having to share the roads with cyclists.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts