Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a carbon fiber hood for his G35 and it has gotten hazy somehow. I don't know who made it or if he did something to make it hazy, I just need to help him get it out. He may have tried waxing it and left the wax on too long or something, but it looks pretty bad. Anyone have ideas? I was thinking I would start with NXT? Help please.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What could I do about that? Sorry, I don't know much about carbon fiber. I'm not sure what the problem is, but he's dropping it off with me tomorrow to work on it. I think he did wax it and the wax dried on there, but I'm not possitive of that. I'm hoping that if I just wax the **** out of it, it will go away...

·
Registered
315 Posts
if it's not the resin, that's a good thing. try taking a claybar to it. If the clay doesn't do anything, neither will the wax.

·
Registered
12 Posts
noo dont clay or wax the hood.

the haze is a buildup of poor resin be it gel or clear coating. it's normal for wet layup cf hoods.

there's really not much you can do at this point. just see if there's a warranty avail. if the haze is exposing you go get a 3m rubbing combound and work with it. but if the haze if between the bottom fiberglass can top coat, then your really out of luck, it's just cheap resin that developed small bubbles from heat and cold.

thats all there is to it.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what should I do guys? Try claying and waxing or just go ahead and tell him that he's screwed either way?

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I can't see clay hurting it any, it's pretty much a mess now huh? Try it on a small area first. I think a rubbing compound would work if it's on the top layer like prof.Kan said, but try it on an inconspicuous area first, and then tell your friend he is in no way shape or form allowed near your Z w/ any detailing products whatsoever....Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HAHA! I'm the only one that touches my Z. Well, I hope clay works and hopefully he won't have to buy another hood. So if clay doesn't work, they try 3M rubbing compound on it?

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Couldn't hurt, hey if it's inside the layers of resin, it's crap anyways, if it's on the top and clay doesn't work, I would try compound, but start w/ a very fine compound and work to more agressive compounds.

Have you been to autopia.org? I'd go and ask the detailing guru's over there if you want more info....a thought...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Check with Daking too, he does some CF work and might know what the problem is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts