Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how long this has been out, but Darren from Intense Motorsports informed me of this so I though I would share. I think the weight savings is around 40 lbs?

[attachmentid=6478]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Good find, the only option right now is haggling with Fiberimages or saving more money to get a Varis.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think none of the CF hatches out there are 100% CF throughout except Amuse (I think that's the name). The rest are fiberglass with CF overlay.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Also, if you plan on going for CF hatch, you might as well replace the glass (a lot of weight) for plexi. I think there might be fitment issues of putting the stock rear window in the hatch so the plexi custom fix would save more time, too.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, but the amuse is very high priced. and fiberglass is still heavier than the steel one we have now

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
No, the Varis is real CF, that's why it is so expensive, they also have a kevlar version ;o . I agree about the window. I wish F-A-L would get on the ball and make 350Z and G35 owners a lightweight window set.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Nice that would look awesome on SB!

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amuse already makes carbon doors.. they are the real deal dry carbon but cost something like 3k

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thats a little more than i thought! and even better there is no no pictures so you have NO IDEA what you are getting :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd like to know how much weight would be saved if all the body panels were dry CF. The only problem with the door I'd think is safety. If you get hit right in the door, with enough force, it will shatter. I hope Amuse did safety testing on the doors. Anyone know if they did?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
cf doors are not made for normall street driving and anywhere you buy them they will be dubbed as show only. Noone puts on cf doors on a daily driven car. If you were to have a collision with cf doors, kiss your ass goodbye!
<div align="right">[snapback]70561[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've wondered about that before. The IRL and F1 cars have a CF shell, which i'm 99% sure is dry-carbon, and those are stronger than steel. I wonder if the same applies to dry carbon fiber doors.

·
Registered
806 Posts
[/quote]
cf doors are not made for normall street driving and anywhere you buy them they will be dubbed as show only. Noone puts on cf doors on a daily driven car. If you were to have a collision with cf doors, kiss your ass goodbye!
[/quote]

The only street car that I know of that is mostly aluminum body panels with CF doors is the Ferrari Challenge Stradale. I still wouldn't trust it in a car accident.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
[/quote]
I've wondered about that before. The IRL and F1 cars have a CF shell, which i'm 99% sure is dry-carbon, and those are stronger than steel. I wonder if the same applies to dry carbon fiber doors.
<div align="right">[snapback]70563[/snapback]
[/quote]
Bump to an answer. And, can anyone confirm this is dry-carbon and not wet? If it's wet we aren't going to see hardly any weight loss.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im sure this is wet for the price... you WILL see weight loss, it was confirmed ~40lb weight loss on wet carbon hatches months ago... our stock hatch is extremely heavy. It only seems light because of the gas shocks that help you open it..

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
With stock everything else (shocks, window, wiper, etc.) it still has 40lbs loss?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am not up to date on the details.. that was just what was quoted months ago.. I havnt really followed it closely. But our hatch is STEEL i *think*? Not Aluminum like our front hood.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts