Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a car alarm installed on their car yet? if so what model do you have and would you recommend it. If not what is the system missing or what do you wish it had? i am looking at the Viper 791 XV and wanted to keep my options open to others.
thx

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I had wondered what advantage over the factory 'anti-theft' there would be...

I've got that platinum warranty where they pay 1500 or something (the deductible...) if my ish gets ripped.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i would say being able to start your car and just another added security. some alarms have a kill switch but i know our cars come with the anti-theft thing with the chip in the key. i just think it is more for my own peace of mind!! Hey another mod to add to the car to

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I'm leaving the system in the Z alone. But I just got back from setting up an appointment to get the Viper 690XV installed in my Si (the 791 has remote start and dealers won't install that in a manual). DEI covers up to $2500 and has a lifetime warranty. The shop also has a lifetime warranty on their work. The appointment is on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">Cool, Jaysen. Just make sure you don't leave the car in gear! The 2-ways have an insane range, and if someone accidentally start it,
</span>

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by DiRN@Jul 28 2004, 07:20 PM
<span style="color:darkblue">Cool, Jaysen.  Just make sure you don't leave the car in gear!  The 2-ways have an insane range, and if someone accidentally start it,
</span>

i had a friend once that did that, it was some dam funny to. he got so pissed and the car was like jumping cause it was in gear hitting a parking block!!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
That's pretty funny. There were some pretty funny stories over on Club Civic. Some chick left hers in gear, and someone accidentally hit the remote starter while looking at her keys and they could all see it speed past the window on its way down the street. Haha

I'll never really cared for remote starters, and I'm getting it for $160 less. w00t!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I went with the Compustar 2WSSR. Besides the regular things most alarms do (shock sensor, kill switch, siren, blinking lights,
) It has a range of 6000 ft. Thats a little more than a mile. Of course this gets brougt down when buildngs are involved. Another little feature is the pager that comes with the alarm notifing you that you car has been tampperred with (of course if you are within the 6000 or so feet). It also has an auto start made for manuals. It senses to make sure that the car is in neutral and the parking brake is engaged. If these two requirements are not met, it will not start your car. I can start my car from my desk at work while the car is in the parking garage. Same thing at school. When I get to the car it is already nice and cool in the cockpit (summer A/C left on) or warm (winter heater left on). It also has a turbo timer built in if you have a turbo, and other little odds and ends. It is pricey though, I've seen it advertised for almost 700.
Of course if you know people things can be obtained at a much cheaper price

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
That one sounds pretty cool. I'd pay $700 for all that.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
That sounds like a pretty kick @ss alarm. The only thing that would make me reluctant is the company. Everyone I've talked to (friends and random people on forums) recommends DEI.

Jaysen, I was wondering, if you get the 791, are you (and I assume Josh) doing the install?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Compustar is relatively new but it is a good product and I would recomend it. My friend Gavino at Dynamic Audio did the install for me. I will be going over there in a few so we can begin work on my system. I can ask what he would do them for or any other alarm for that matter.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Cool. I was just wondering. I was gonna do the install myself, but I'm going for that whole insurance thing. And that $2500 if the car gets jacked would be nice too

·
Registered
187 Posts
My friend said he could the the alarm and install for $450

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Wow! That's a great price. Jaysen, unless you're set on doing the install yourself, you should jump all over that

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, is that if it's a shop, they may be under contract with the company to do the install, so he may not be able to sell you just the alarm. That was what I noticed basically everywhere I went

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Well, I picked up the Si about 45 minutes ago. The 690XV is in, and so far so good. Hopefully I'll get a nice insurance discount and never actually need the alarm :knockwood:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts