Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own several mustang's.....I could always redline 1st and then slam second gear...Eveytime I try this in my Z.....I grind the sh!t out of 2nd or miss it. Anyone else have this problem ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Originally posted by koppenj1@Aug 22 2005, 10:00 AM
I used to own several mustang's.....I could always redline 1st and then slam second gear...Eveytime I try this in my Z.....I grind the sh!t out of 2nd or miss it. Anyone else have this problem ?
[snapback]147923[/snapback]​

Same here, feels like it's locked out on the way to second, double clutch and all.

Peace,

Dean

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
You may be having problems because the Z has whats called a close-ratio 6-speed gearbox, while the mustang your used to 'banging' has whats called a sloppy gated dumptruck gearbox.

Hehe. Sorry to be harsh, but I'll let ya in on a little secret I found out while learning the Z, and applies to any sports car. Powershifting, like you're trying to accomplish can be done two ways:

1 - by pausing on the clutch release long enough to get that jolt, or bang, and inducing wheelspin (which doesn't help your times much).

or, 2 - by keeping the right foot on the gas, and SIMULTANEOUSLY and smoothly pulling the clutch out quickly, not just dropping it out from under itself. That is the correct and less damaging way to make a quick shift. It will save the tranny from the shock associated with "chirping gears". You will probably still get wheelspin, but it will be far less exaggerated.

This is the method you want if you are looking to impress the ladies by your timeslips, not by the rubber you left on the pavement.

Happy shifting! :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well this could also be error on my part(can't drive LOL) I am still in the break in period so I haven't done this alot... I guess I should keep trying and if problem continues ...its under warrenty!!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Drive it like you stole it!

:lol: I don't have any problem slamming into 2nd or 3rd. I can get it to chirp in third.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I have the same problem at redline getting it into second. Grinds every time. It's fine at 6,250 though, so I have to shift then.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
If I break them loose in 1st, I have no problem peeling through 2nd and 3rd.

I remember 2nd being a little tough to get into at a high rpm out of 1st, but after 5000 miles or so, it went away. Gearbox is made of silk now..

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
One could always replace the fluid with more high performance tranny fluid...in fact, that might be one of my winter projects.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i knew i wasn't that bad of a driver.....Out of the guys having problems slamming second , how many have less than 5000 miles? maybe it is part of the break in? or maybe after 5000 miles you learn how to shift the Z properly!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I can smoke first gear and rip the **** out of second and get a nice one out of third. Even got a chirp from fourth.

What's the problem?

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I have over 29k on mine now. It doesn't get better.

Let me know if they fix it for you and what you told them to get it done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SCDOO 2, are you talking about your Z or that Lambo! lol....are you stock?..... I am taking my Z in for a "idle learn" idle off a little..and also the second gear issue . I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

chirping 4th gear ....I wish my Z was that tight!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by koppenj1@Aug 25 2005, 08:07 AM
SCDOO 2, are you talking about your Z or that Lambo! lol....are you stock?..... I am taking my Z in for a "idle  learn" idle off a little..and also the second gear issue . I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

[snapback]149263[/snapback]​

it's all in the driving.. if you drive properly then anyone with a stock z can chirp 4th.. just practice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
right now getting my car to hit 2nd is my main concern....but i did not know that about a stock Z being able to do that(chirp 4th). I will continue work on my shifting

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Originally posted by koppenj1@Aug 25 2005, 10:07 AM
SCDOO 2, are you talking about your Z or that Lambo! lol....are you stock?..... I am taking my Z in for a "idle  learn" idle off a little..and also the second gear issue . I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

[snapback]149263[/snapback]​

All the standards I have driven, 68 Camaro, 82 200sx, 86 1/2 Hardbody, both Z's. The only one that really would not do it was my 85 4x4 Nissan truck.

I could shift my 86 1/2 without the clutch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SCDOO2, your right..and I apologize for being sceptical...I did it myself last night.....It was around 73 degrees and no traffic ..so I decided to run through the gears and sure enough..I chirped 4th. The thing I was doing wrong was trying to drive the Z like a mustang. If you want to properly shift and get the most performance from the Z you must feather clutch it. The throttle and clutch must slide .....well you guys know what I mean. I had the stupid grin : )......Thank you

BTW..I did not have a problem slamming second driving it correctly! :clap:

My Z is that tight after all :irock:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts