Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 370z that I drive in the summer only. I store my car in the winter and usually disconnect the battery. Problem is I didn't follow the instructions in the owner manual for the proper way of disconnecting the battery. Now the car has no power and when I try to open the door manually using the key the door will not open as the window will not roll down and it is stuck at the door panel. Anyone has an advise on how to deal with this problem. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what I did
1. Closed the windows 2. Opened the hood 3.Closed and locked all doors 4. Disconnected the negative 5. Closed the hood.

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
Offda- that method would have locked you out of the car. Never close the hood until you've verified the fix. You may need a locksmith to get back into your car. Are you certain all power has been lost? Is the red light still flashing on your dash?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if a locksmith can help. The lock on the door can open but the problem is the glass of the window stuck at the door frame.

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
By holding open the unlock button on your key remote, both door windows should retract. If this doesn't happen with your original FOB, I'd try the spare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That won't work because the battery is disconnected and no power at all to respond to the FOB. The only option I have is to manually force down the window to release it from the door frame but I am afraid it may cause damage.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
That won't work because the battery is disconnected and no power at all to respond to the FOB. The only option I have is to manually force down the window to release it from the door frame but I am afraid it may cause damage.
Not sure on the 370z but, on the 350z there is a button above the rear license plate which will open the hatch. Then, depending on your size, you can crawl in and unlock the door or open the hood from the inside. Also, not sure if this works with no battery, you can insert your key in the door and turn counterclockwise to unlock the driver's door. hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure on the 370z but, on the 350z there is a button above the rear license plate which will open the hatch. Then, depending on your size, you can crawl in and unlock the door or open the hood from the inside. Also, not sure if this works with no battery, you can insert your key in the door and turn counterclockwise to unlock the driver's door. hope this helps.
The 370 has the same but again it requires power to get activated.

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
The locksmith may help you to access the hood latch. After that, keep the hood open while you reconnect the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The locksmith may help you to access the hood latch. After that, keep the hood open while you reconnect the battery.

I think will require removing the bumper....

I found someone had the same problem on this forum long time ago and that what is the answer :

zkool
Registered

Joined Oct 14, 2002
·
15 Posts
#2 Dec 20, 2002
Re: How do you open the hood with a dead battery a

i asked this same question to my dealer. i don't know if he's right or not. it sounds feasible. anyway, he said if you push the window down gently, it will give. while pushing down on the window, you can open the door. but he said don't close the door until you get the battery charged. again, i don't know if this is a legitimate solution.

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
Forget about removing the front bumper while your hood is locked. If you've ever examined your bumper, there are five attachment points under the hood that are only accessible when the hood is open. As for the 2002 post, pushing down on the window isn't a viable option. At this point, I'd suggest you have your car towed to the dealer for repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think will require removing the bumper....

I found someone had the same problem on this forum long time ago and that what is the answer :

zkool
Registered

Joined Oct 14, 2002
·
15 Posts
#2 Dec 20, 2002
Re: How do you open the hood with a dead battery a

i asked this same question to my dealer. i don't know if he's right or not. it sounds feasible. anyway, he said if you push the window down gently, it will give. while pushing down on the window, you can open the door. but he said don't close the door until you get the battery charged. again, i don't know if this is a legitimate solution.
Thanks. Finally I got acees to my car after long winter storage and your dealer was right. Just pushed the window gently and door opened connected the battery and everything worked fine. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts