Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've been looking around for a while and narowed my next car to 2 choices... 350Z or a Lancer EVO VIII... so here is my dilemma... i run alot of 1/4 mile... actually this car probably will never seen an autocross or track, but i want a good handling car to drive for fun...

so i'm back and forth on these cars depending on the day. convince me to buy a Z cause as of now i don't think it'll be fast enought... right now i have a 12 second SRT4. and i hear the Z is a low 14 second car stock..? so that drop will be giant for me. but how fas are people running with a stock Z and what are people running with N/A modded with out getting into engine inernals..? if you could help i would apreciate it... thanks

Justin

oh i guess i could say i would also be interested in turboing or supercharging it later down the line if i get one...

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i hate to say but with both of your choices, neither of those cars are designed to be straight track 1/4. the Z is more about style and driving enjoyment than living life 1/4 at a time. basically what i am saying is stick with what you got for the track. plus 1/4 times are not a way to judge a car if it is fast or not. reason i like my Z is because even though it was not designed for a 1/4, it can hold it's own (mid 13's are attainable on a N/A Z), plus it can destroy pretty much any other car on a autocross track, stock. as for convincing you, it all comes down to what you can afford, and what you want in the car.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
if all you care about is going straight , go with a Cobra , fairly cheap to mod , fun car for 1/4 mile.. :thumbsup:

Z is for autocross , it will be waste of your money if you plan to use it on 1/4 mile track.. good luck to you..

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
[/quote]

Agreed. As with the Z the Evo is also not a 1/4 mile car either. Like Dirn said buy a Cobra and for 2k you can be in the 11's

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/quote]

Agreed. As with the Z the Evo is also not a 1/4 mile car either. Like Dirn said buy a Cobra and for 2k you can be in the 11's
<div align="right">[snapback]62716[/snapback]
[/quote]

not buying a mustang everyone has one... tired of having to race everyone all the time with the SRT4, i prooved my point with it. and the car isn't leaving the SRT is sticking around too... i just want a fun car i can whip around the country back roads with and be able to take it to the track and have fun! that is when i'm not gonna the SRT4... but i won't be happy with a car if i can't atleast run mid 13's to beat a chipped VW GTI 1.8T...

i have it down to 2 cars, i'm not considering anything else. an S2000 was in the mix but i don't think i'll be happy with it, i dunno, it's almost a chick car...

oh and thinking about buying a used Corvette Z06 but the Z, i look at it and fall in love haha... (i.e. the cars gonne be a replacement for my exgirlfriend of 5 years...)

and what aremy forced induction options if you don;t mind me asking... i know GReddy had a TT kit, i know some people have superchargers, and i will take a supercharger over turbo anyday unless it's a centrifugal type supercharger i don't particularly care for those at all...

maybe something cheaper than the $6500 the GReddy TT kit is haha i'll have to sell my VW Rabbit to get that! :OMG: (p.s. my Rabbit is a 3 time US largest VW show A1 heavy modified winner with over $20,000 invested in it)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
If you are planning to go F/I then you can have a beast on your hands. You can easily be in the low 400's at the wheels with F/I on the Z but may have to build the engine if you want more than that. Greddy makes a TT but I would go APS myself. Its the most complete turbo kit available for the Z as to date. If you want to go S/C then Vortech is your way to go.
I was running a 13.9 with just an intake on mine and with the new bolt ons I have now I should be in the mid 13's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think u better off stick with EVO 8 or STI since they both pull great G's than Z and faster than a M3 stock. When I see these carz next to my Z I simply pretend I don't see it cuz I know the Z will get toasted if I try pulling against any of 'em.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/quote]

hmm ineresting cause i had my mind set on a Z... i raced an EVO VIII in a 1/4 mile length with my SRT4, he ate me up in first gear, i hit 2nd and by the end of 2nd i was already ahead of him and in the 1/4 mile in my SRT4 i do get to 4th...

hmm... i dunno i like the options the Z comes with over the EVO though...

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Man, get the Z. I think the EVO is overrated. The Z has a reliable V6 and is super fun to drive on back country roads. You can't mistake it for a sedan, unlike the EVO. I know what it is, but most people see an ugly grocery getter.

I'm biased because I have owned Nissans before, but I somewhat dislike Mitsus and their corporate mentality. Their automotive history speaks for itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
[/quote]

'I know what it is, but most people see an ugly grocery getter.'

By the time you get home the carrots will be diced and the onions peeled but ****...What an ugly car!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]

'I know what it is, but most people see an ugly grocery getter.'

By the time you get home the carrots will be diced and the onions peeled but ****...What an ugly car!
<div align="right">[snapback]64629[/snapback]
[/quote]

:lmfao: Good one! :thumbsup: There's nothing sexy about the EVO. Not even the turbo...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well since I own a Z...i would tell you to get a Z. But I was in the same position this time last year. I couldn't decide between the 350, S2000, and evo8. I debated these cars over and over. I ended up with the 350. By the way..the S2000 is definitely not a girls car. Its about the only convertable I would consider driving. But any choice you make between those cars I believe you will be happy with. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Get the Z and throw on a Vortech supercharger. Upgrade to a 9lb pulley and get a couple of extra go-fast goodies and you'll be set. Be pushing about 400whp, and you'll have a mean looking front mount intercooler too :thumbsup:

I think the Vortech is a little more reliable than the Greddy. Not as fast, but not as expensive either.

If you get the Z, plan on spending a lot of money to make it faster. Some people with reliable TT engines have spent enough money now that they could have purchased a Porsche Turbo to begin with.

·
Registered
171 Posts
[/quote]

Such a true statement....After I finally get my Z back I will have roughly 18,000 invested into it. That includes the money spent on a new engine since I threw a rod through my block. But you wouldn't even know my Z was modified other than the exhuast tips and big front mount. Im still riding on the HORRIBLE stock tires! It costs alot to play.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Both the EVO and Z are great cars. If you're really going to mod the **** out of it, I'd suspect that you could get a little more for your mod $ with the EVO since it seems more tweaker-friendly. But the Z would be such a classier ride and if you're considering FI then both cars would be comparable. I personally dislike the EVO interior enough to make me not want the car, even though performance-wise it's a great car.

But for God's sake, please don't buy a Mustang or Camero. :vomit:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know opinions are like assholes, but i don't see this conversation going anywhere anyways, so i might at well contribute.

The Z is by far one of the very best looking cars on the road of all time, if you want to drive a ricemobile, or a freakin' fast rally car, that's awesome, but i'll be lovin' life going slower in my Z.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts