Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dont have the 350z yet but I am looking into buying one. I have been reading this forum and have seen a lot of great info but I think most of the post are directed at people looking to increase boost or are looking for massive WHP gains. If I were to buy a vortech S/C kit or a APS TT kit would I be able to run these on stock internals with no addition modifications if I kept it at the boost levels from either vortech or APS. This will be a daily driven car but I definitly want to have some fun in it. So if I could get the opinions from you guys that know more about the car I would appreciate it. Thanks

I currently drive a S/C 03 Toyota Corolla.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I believe that with proper tuning, running stock boost shouldn't cause problems for stock internals. And I believe the S/C crowd has had more luck with raising the boost on stock internals than the TT crowd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what would guys recommend. The S/C or Turbo for daily driving. I am not looking for the most power, just more power and still maintain reliability and driveability.

·
Registered
498 Posts
[/quote]

You can definitately run the stock engine internals with the APS TT system and it's very safe, I'm now more confident about this than I was 12 months ago and feedback from customers across the globe has confirmed that the stock engine is durable and sensible power levels (up to approx 400 WHP). :goodtimes:

In fact all of our testing at APS over a very long time frame had been conducted with a dead stock VQ engine without any problem at all.

The main thing to keep in mind is that the engine is tuned for the fuel octane that you use on a daily basis, this way the engine is protected from possible engine detonation which is the greatest enemy of an FI engine.

let me know if you have any other questions.

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thats great to hear. From reading this site over the APS kit has had great reviews. So what does the kit cost then? I am looking at a 2003 z for right around 23-24k and would like to stay at 30,000 with FI but could go a little over that if necesary.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
You can buy a Greddy TT kit and intercooler for the amount you stated, if you found a Z for that price. However, be prepared to spend extra money on install and tuning, and the occassional surprise part that needs to be bought. All in all, you'll easily spend $10k for the complete kit, labor and parts.

·
Registered
498 Posts
[/quote]

The APS intercooled Twin Turbo system is $7490 at MSRP, if you contact the guys at MRC they will be able to assist you with any other assistance or help you may need.

I feel that the significant advantage of the APS system is the thorough engineering and testing behind the product and of course the completeness of the entire system.

All of the important/critical engineering issues pertaining to safe FI operation have been addressed in this Twin Turbo system, ultimately this amounts to much less grief/worry for the owner.

Pm me if you need any other assistance and or advice.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
You can get a greddy tt kit, cj-motorsports single pump fuel system, hks ssqv bov, hks aluminum 60mm bov flange, walbro fuel pump, and some gauges. :) That's about $9,000 TOTAL (installed and etc.). Certainly not cheap at all. :)

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Wow, all this time I thought you needed to drop compression at the very least to run FI on an NA engine.. Cant believe people are running boost on stock internals!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
Lowering compression ratio lowers the detonation threshold allowing you to run more boost before threat of detonation...more boost = more power.

·
Registered
498 Posts
[/quote]

Not really necessary today. Just have a look at the static comp ratio that many factory turbo cars are running today, with excellent intercooling and total control of the ignition timing the static comp ratios are continually being raised, all good. :cheers:

Peter

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a Vortech SC on my Z at 9lbs of boost and I am getting over 400RWHP at 1/2 the cost of a Turbo with install. The APS is an awesome turbo set up but I paid less for my Vortech with install and kept the warrenty on my car for less than the price of the APS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
[/quote]

20k miles on ATI with lots of 1/4 mile runs...mid 12's using J&S safeguard for timing retard and knock control......

Proper timing retard/control and detonation avoidance is key to running high compression stock motor with F/I...any F/I

No timing retard..motor go BOOM

·
Registered
87 Posts
[/quote]

Who did your install?

Are you going to the Z Meet on Saturday in Arlington?

I'm torn between the Vortech and the single turbo's. The Vortech looks like a simpler install for the do it yourselfer.

·
Registered
498 Posts
[/quote]

How do you keep the warranty on the car with a Vortech installed?

This is very interesting and I would love to know the answer.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
498 Posts
[/quote]

Agreed and higher fuel octane and efficient intercooling also assists reliable FI engine operation.

Peter

·
Registered
498 Posts
[/quote]

I'm not sure that's correct. If you address the fuel system and engine management thoroughly on both FI products I think you will find the install time would be very near identical.

Peter

·
Registered
470 Posts
ive got vortech right now and i am prettyu happy with it i think its much more reliable that a twin turbo specialy cause i drive it long distances frequently, id go with the supercharger

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
[/quote]

How do you keep the warranty on the car with a Vortech installed?

This is very interesting and I would love to know the answer.

Thanks

Peter
<div align="right">[snapback]97826[/snapback]
[/quote]

There are some Nissan dealerships here (very few) offering warranties if they do the installation of the superchargers.. APS may want to approach these dealers specifically if you are interested in that type of thing.. There is one local i can get you in contact with..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts