Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2000, I put down a deposit on the reintroduction of the Z. The GM of the Nissan dealership I worked with was skeptical when I put down money on a model he hadn't even heard of. "Oh you will", was my reply and two years later (Oct 2002) I took delivery of my -03 Redline track model. Best street car I've ever owned, and what adventures we've had!

Fast forward to 2021 and an exciting new Z35 is nearing introduction in the near future. Will I put down another deposit on a new Z right away? I think not, and for a couple of reasons:

1) Paying MSRP plus ADP (additional dealer profit)- the first year production is bound to be popular, and many Nissan dealers will command MSRP at a minimum. Depending on the mix of Z35 models (and any limited production options), being the first to have a new Z may not be worth having to pay a premium.

2) Production at Nissan's Tochigi facility is almost guaranteed, The new Z35 will be subject to the best QC in the industry, but there's little doubt constant production improvements will be made along the way. Whether it's triple stamping body panels a certain way, or a slight change to an engine, body or electronic component, Nissan will seek to improve the Z along as more roll off the production line.

3) Mid-model changes- if the new Z does end up being a 2022 intro, it's a good guess that the 2025-26 Z will get some mild styling and design upgrades to keep the model up to date. If it's anything like the Z33, there could be some major changes (like the VQ35HR) that slip into the mix to make the waiting worthwhile.

4) Technology marches on, and waiting even a few years mean there could be better ancillary options available. Conversely, there may be LESS technology offered on a Z35 model that might make it more attractive (ie. less weight, complexity and expense) for purchase. People who lease might wonder what all the fuss is, but for a person like me who still wants to OWN their car, all this makes a difference.

5) Negotiation will likely be easier in later years of Z35 production. Going back to the first point, later adopters of the Z35 will have lowered demand on the model, and the buying frenzy will slacken. While there'll only so many buyers for a powerful RWD sportscar with a manual tranny, if I want to buy a new Z35, I'm counting on finding a lower price.

6) Alternatively, if I prefer an "older" Z35 model, perhaps a used '22 or '23 Z (equipped the way I want) might appear on the used market. As long as it passes a full mechanical assessment, it might make for a more attractive purchase with the inevitable depreciation added in.

7) Finally, I might hit the lottery and have more money to buy whatever I want! Actually, this last one is doubtful, as I don't waste my money on playing any lotteries! Besides, the new Z35 should be affordable anyway. No telling what the near future (5-6 years) holds for us economically, but I'm keeping my original 350Z no matter what!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Back in 2000, I put down a deposit on the reintroduction of the Z. The GM of the Nissan dealership I worked with was skeptical when I put down money on a model he hadn't even heard of. "Oh you will", was my reply and two years later (Oct 2002) I took delivery of my -03 Redline track model. Best street car I've ever owned, and what adventures we've had!

Fast forward to 2021 and an exciting new Z35 is nearing introduction in the near future. Will I put down another deposit on a new Z right away? I think not, and for a couple of reasons:

1) Paying MSRP plus ADP (additional dealer profit)- the first year production is bound to be popular, and many Nissan dealers will command MSRP at a minimum. Depending on the mix of Z35 models (and any limited production options), being the first to have a new Z may not be worth having to pay a premium.

2) Production at Nissan's Tochigi facility is almost guaranteed, The new Z35 will be subject to the best QC in the industry, but there's little doubt constant production improvements will be made along the way. Whether it's triple stamping body panels a certain way, or a slight change to an engine, body or electronic component, Nissan will seek to improve the Z along as more roll off the production line.

3) Mid-model changes- if the new Z does end up being a 2022 intro, it's a good guess that the 2025-26 Z will get some mild styling and design upgrades to keep the model up to date. If it's anything like the Z33, there could be some major changes (like the VQ35HR) that slip into the mix to make the waiting worthwhile.

4) Technology marches on, and waiting even a few years mean there could be better ancillary options available. Conversely, there may be LESS technology offered on a Z35 model that might make it more attractive (ie. less weight, complexity and expense) for purchase. People who lease might wonder what all the fuss is, but for a person like me who still wants to OWN their car, all this makes a difference.

5) Negotiation will likely be easier in later years of Z35 production. Going back to the first point, later adopters of the Z35 will have lowered demand on the model, and the buying frenzy will slacken. While there'll only so many buyers for a powerful RWD sportscar with a manual tranny, if I want to buy a new Z35, I'm counting on finding a lower price.

6) Alternatively, if I prefer an "older" Z35 model, perhaps a used '22 or '23 Z (equipped the way I want) might appear on the used market. As long as it passes a full mechanical assessment, it might make for a more attractive purchase with the inevitable depreciation added in.

7) Finally, I might hit the lottery and have more money to buy whatever I want! Actually, this last one is doubtful, as I don't waste my money on playing any lotteries! Besides, the new Z35 should be affordable anyway. No telling what the near future (5-6 years) holds for us economically, but I'm keeping my original 350Z no matter what!
(y)

·
Super Moderator
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another option to consider when we think about the new Z. When Infiniti first debuted the Q60 with the VR30DDTT, there were two FI engine specs: 300 HP and 400 HP versions were offered. What if Nissan plans to use the same strategy with the Z35 and offers a base model with less HP, cooling and performance features (smaller brakes, swaybars and aero)? Would a $35K Z sell with a lower level of performance and luxury (cloth seats, no power adjustments, basic stereo, no nav, etc.) still be a big seller?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts