Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with the 6mt noticed that you can shift into neutral really easy without engaging the clutch (not like power shifting)? Most all MT I have owned including a z32 would not do this, wtf I didnt or dont do it on purpose just happended twice on accident. Is this normal or is somthing wack? :helpsmilie:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
It is really easy to shift into neutral, but only if you have your foot touching the gas or have just lifted off of it. If you are decelerating, it will not pop out of gear. I find it makes driving much easier to be able to pull it out of gear and into neutral when I take my foot off the gas instead of having to push in the clutch every time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Any MT will do this. As long as there is minimal load on the tranny, the shifter can be placed into neutral wo clutch use. You can also shift gears without using the clutch if your rev matches are perfect (like mine) hehe

·
Registered
798 Posts
Never happened to me before but now I am tempted to try..... :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Drove "Large Cars" for a long time...usually used clutch only when coming to a stop or on an incline.

RPM's are the key, my son. :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Any MT will do this. As long as there is minimal load on the tranny, the shifter can be placed into neutral wo clutch use. You can also shift gears without using the clutch if your rev matches are perfect (like mine) hehe
:OMG: Can someone learn me that? :lol: I need to know that trick. :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Be happy to, Dave. Next May!

"Large Cars" don't have synchros. You either learn how to "rpm shift" or find another gig. :irock:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
On second thought - try this: If you're in fourth gear - keep your hand on the stick and while you're on the gas sense the resistance if you try and move the lever into neutral. Then - keeping your hand on the stick - gently lift off the gas and see if the lever doesn't easily move into neutral (while you're lifting). Here comes the tricky part. If you can match the rpms that the engine will be in when you try to put it in fifth gear - it should fall in easily. I recommend practicing this on someone else's car for a couple of weeks. Same thing holds for downshifting, too. :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Hmm....I'll try it when I can remember. Otherwise, you and Chris will have to show me how at Zdayz.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
PPS - this is a finesse deal. Every tranny is a little different - and it depends to a great deal how fast the engine "falls off" rpms when you lift. Smooth and gentle is the key. SmoothZ!

When you shift 5 times to reach 25 mph in a large car, you learn this technique rather quickly. :irock:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
We know why you're "yawning," its because you haven't mapped out a list of modifcations to ponder over.

Don't deny it. It's the truth!

How about putting a Hemi in the 35? :irock:

(that should crank him up)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If I could "actually do this?"

Now, Illz - be nice.

And - bring some large denominations to ZDayZ. :rolf2:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts