Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which type of cams give the most preformance?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
If I had to pick one set...JWT. That is, if you plan on going F/I...if not, for sure Tomei 268's.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am going with the HKS SC as of right now. Why do I need to use the JWT cams only if I go FI?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
The Tomei 268's are going to be pretty radical/extreme for an F/I setup, as you want better low-end to make up for the spool time of the turbo. Since you are getting a supercharger, it doesn't make much of a difference. JWT cams are getting about 40rwhp with a turbo setup, not sure with superchargers. FYI, the HKS is only for stock Z's, if you want to mod the exhaust or cats or headers or etc. you can't tune for it so it will not run as efficient, you would then need to buy an HKS F-Con V-Pro.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/quote]
OK, I didn't know that. That just made me rethink my FI decision.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Mar 14 2005, 06:03 PM
The Tomei 268's are going to be pretty radical/extreme for an F/I setup, as you want better low-end to make up for the spool time of the turbo. Since you are getting a supercharger, it doesn't make much of a difference. JWT cams are getting about 40rwhp with a turbo setup, not sure with superchargers. FYI, the HKS is only for stock Z's, if you want to mod the exhaust or cats or headers or etc. you can't tune for it so it will not run as efficient, you would then need to buy an HKS F-Con V-Pro.
[snapback]82462[/snapback]​

I can't believe how expensive these are...would it be worth it? I wonder how much of a difference it would be? I can't find the info readily available.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Dave, when was that guy wanting a response? I can probably write something up tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Jul 30 2005, 11:37 PM
Dave, when was that guy wanting a response? I can probably write something up tomorrow.
[snapback]139602[/snapback]​

It doesn't have to be immediate, so tomorrow or the next day is fine. Thanks!

So is this a DIY project? I've always been skeptical of myself when it comes to opening up the engine and doing stuff like cams. Does it really improve HP and torque that much (since we're on topic)?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ+Jul 30 2005, 11:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Jul 30 2005, 11:37 PM

So is this a DIY project? I've always been skeptical of myself when it comes to opening up the engine and doing stuff like cams. Does it really improve HP and torque that much (since we're on topic)?
[snapback]139603[/snapback]​

Cool.

It is a DIY project...quite a bit advanced though. Yep, around 20rwhp with N/A and twice that for F/I.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT+Jul 30 2005, 11:50 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2005, 11:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Jul 30 2005, 11:37 PM

[snapback]139603[/snapback]​

Cool.

It is a DIY project...quite a bit advanced though. Yep, around 20rwhp with N/A and twice that for F/I.
[snapback]139608[/snapback]​

Does the head have to come off the engine to install cams in the Z? When I installed a Schrick cam in my bimmer I had to pull the head. I also installed upgraded valve springs and stem seals, and it was a bitch of a job because the shape of the head made it very difficult to use a valve spring compressor. What's the procedure like with the VQ? Do the cams lift out or do you have to disassemble the front of the car and slide them out if you don't want to pull the head off?

·
Registered
92 Posts
JWT is more top end power while nismo is low,mid,top end power.. Id go for either nismo or JWT.. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts