Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever has done this process of upgrading their cams, can you please share your thoughts and experiences, pricing, vendor, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Aug 1 2005, 10:43 AM
Whoever has done this process of upgrading their cams, can you please share your thoughts and experiences, pricing, vendor, etc?  Thanks!
[snapback]139949[/snapback]​

What about Jim Wolf while you're at it?:

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_....asp?PartID=443

Still seems like a lot of $ for 15 HP.... :xZ!o:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:OMG: Good god! Those are spendy! Not worth the work unless one is doing everything else.

Basically, a local guy I know has a Maxima. He is requesting info from people who have used/upgraded with either for personal opinions. I'll ask him about JWT, but I think he wants to stick with the 2 I mentioned.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by Zach@Aug 1 2005, 02:02 PM
almost $100 per HP - wow that is a lot.

~Z~
[snapback]140107[/snapback]​

I've got the nismo's and love them. The car definately idles differently the power was good, but of course I'll admit not worth the $. But I was thinking long-term when I got them, and I'm expecting some good gains when I am ready to go FI. But if your just gonna stick n/a, i'd say that the gain may not be justifiable for the price you'll undoubedtly shell out.

Even with the nismo's the car will stall once in a while from depressing the clutch quickly, and sometimes the car will be tempremental to starting up after it's been warmed up. Usually i'll just floor the gas when i'm firing it up after it's warm and it's not wanting to play nice. I've got a stock flywheel and clutch so I imagine a lightened flywheel will only exemplify the stalling problem from pushing in the clutch fast, but when I get around to aftermarket clutch/fly I"m gonna do the JWT idle fix.

The car was also bumped up to 750 rpm idle as otherwise the car was really rough back at stock idle for the '03.

Now if you add something that can tune the cam's N/A, say like the very soon to be released TurboXS UTEC, then I would say that you can get even more performance out of a solid tune w/ the cams. I like the cams, but if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't bother spending the 2k+ to do cams, and just of opted for putting that money towards the APS TT tuner kit.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Dave

I put the Nismo cams in prior to supercharging. It's hard to define what I gained with them since I did several NA mods at once, but I believe it helped most with high RPM power. They seem to like working with the Crawford Headers a lot.

If I were doing cams today, I'd definitely go for the JWT ones. Comparable to the Nismos, IMO, but with better lift. The Tomeis are a bit too hairy unless you are wanting to build strong NA.

I never had any problem on my car with it stalling using the Nismos after I had the idle bumped up 150-200rpm. Also, I should note, I stayed with a mild grind because I knew I would go FI. If you plan to go FI, I recommend the same. Most of the agressive cams available are really not FI friendly as the valve durations overlap too much for a boosted motor.

That said, it is a PITA install. The cams themselves are expensive. The bang for the buck is not great. I'd only recommend doing cams if you plan to do a LOT of other mods. Cams on this car, by themselves, do not produce huge gains. In concert with other mods (intake, exhaust, FI, etc), they are the difference in making more power than the average modded car.

Not sure what all you have done to your car yet, but if I were doing things all over again these would be the things I'd do first (based on my experience with the current car and how they affected the 'joy of driving' it):

1 - Crawford Headers + Crawford Cats + Borla Exhaust
2 - Lightweight Flywheel (JUN or JWT)
3 - FI

For me, those were the three items which made an immediate, positive impact on the driving experience... especially the lightweight flywheel. I cannot believe how much it changed the character of my car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love my nismo cams.. i noticed a big diff after my header and cats installed! Highly recommend.. Ur going to get sh*ty idle but jus ask ur nissan dealer to bump up ur idle to 850-900!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts