Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Watch out there's two of us now.
Beware the V35 invasion.
I'm interested in a CAI as well but have heard a lot negative opinions on them.
Also considering the Plenum spacer.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Steve, I have an AEM CAI on my Z, and except for the cool wooshing sound, it is a waste of money. They are a bitch to clean, and a popcharger or something that is shielded away from the engine heat but is still easy to get to for cleaning would be first choice.

As far as the best one out there, I think the new Injen design CAI might be your best bet, but do not look at it to gain power. Since it might gain 1-3 horses, just get one that is cheap, and sturdy - if you still insist on a CAI.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watch out there's two of us now.
Beware the V35 invasion.
I'm interested in a CAI as well but have heard a lot negative opinions on them.
Also considering the Plenum spacer.
Chris,
Have you got any photos of your car that you can post? How long have you had it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve, I have an AEM CAI on my Z, and except for the cool wooshing sound, it is a waste of money. They are a bitch to clean, and a popcharger or something that is shielded away from the engine heat but is still easy to get to for cleaning would be first choice.

As far as the best one out there, I think the new Injen design CAI might be your best bet, but do not look at it to gain power. Since it might gain 1-3 horses, just get one that is cheap, and sturdy - if you still insist on a CAI.
Pavel, Do you know much about either the 'nismo' or the 'JWT popcharger and Z tube' intakes?
They are the two that I have heard some strong reviews about..

·
Registered
262 Posts
i would go with the jwt pop charger w/ heat shield a solid 6.5hp gain, its under the bonnet, sounds good, and is cheap in comparison to the others.

but if was you steve i would sell my crappy skyline and buy a real car, like a z. :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Pavel, Do you know much about either the 'nismo' or the 'JWT popcharger and Z tube' intakes?
They are the two that I have heard some strong reviews about..
The Nismo is overpriced, and the JWT popcharger has strong positive reviews. As for personal experience, I've had none with either product.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the JWT, is there a kit that includes all you need for a whole new intake,
or does it come seperately? Im talking about the heat shield, Air filter, and intake tubing and so on? Have you any idea?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
With the JWT, is there a kit that includes all you need for a whole new intake,
or does it come seperately? Im talking about the heat shield, Air filter, and intake tubing and so on? Have you any idea?
I'm guessing it comes with everything you need, otherwise what else would they sell you.... a sticker? You might verify that upon ordering, but a complete package is my best guess.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would go with the jwt pop charger w/ heat shield a solid 6.5hp gain, its under the bonnet, sounds good, and is cheap in comparison to the others.

but if was you steve i would sell my crappy skyline and buy a real car, like a z. :)
Thanks aaron, I appreciate your comments. I think i might go with your suggestion, as it seems will give me the horsepower edge that i require to beat your ass on the track. haha :irock:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i went with the K&N Typhoon, but bought an inverted top K&N filter

the K&N has a duct to feed cool air into the airbox from the grille, and the filter is piss easy to remove and clean

this was my first mod. Power gains, if any, wont be noticeable, but on a cold night throttle is more responsive. On hot days though u can get heak soak, but that will happen with every CAI

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/scascone/127_2716.jpg

it comes with a CF lid for the airbox, but i leave it off since fitment isnt ideal, nor does it match my other CF bits

·
Registered
498 Posts
APS will release a true cold air inlet to suit the 350Z in the near future, this CAI system will add genuine performance to a NA 350 Z car, more info and pics in the near future. :cheers:

Peter

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet picture.
Your engine bay is looking really neat.

I noticed you've got the 'Motordyne Isothermal + Copper TB' installed in your car. Is that a new plenum and plenum spacer kit? How effective has it been in terms of performance gains??

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Sweet picture.
Your engine bay is looking really neat.

I noticed you've got the 'Motordyne Isothermal + Copper TB' installed in your car. Is that a new plenum and plenum spacer kit? How effective has it been in terms of performance gains??
it looks even neater now with the stainless steel bolt kit from Z-enterprises *cough* promo :shiftdrive:

i just have the MD isothermal parts and the copper plate which sits bw the TB and plenum. There is plenty of info about it on MD's website, but basically it prevents hot air entering the plenum. It does work, the plenum feels alot cooler after a drive, but as far as HP gains, i doubt it. I didnt bother with their spacer as its proven to make zero power on the 300hp engine, but on the 287hp engine, they work really well and make the high rpms feel less strained

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Got cheap, dodgy, CAI? I do.

Its a JWT Popcharger (ignore the Nismo sticker, its more so I just tell the cops its a factory option should I get pulled over) with a couple of bucks of air con pipe.

With the air con pipe, I noticed about half the gains I got from installing the Popcharger (i.e. nothing in terms of power or engine response, but the induction noise might be a little louder and deeper) but considering it cost me about $10 for the bits and a little bit of my time, it's not that bad.

If I ever decide to not get APS' TT kit I will probably cut a hole in the front bumper to feed the air duct (similar to the Varis air duct, but get something that doesn't narrow down as much).

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
TPIACE: did you have to remove your fount bumper to install the k&n typhoon
no way dude, its not an Injen :irock:

to install the duct, i just jacked the car up, removed the sump guard, and got underneath

there were a few fitment issues with my car since the Tyhoon is designed for the 287hp, i had to reshape the mounting bracket for the airbox basically, and our cars have a larger tow hook bolt thread, so i had to make a trip to Bunnings to buy a few new larger bolts (the air duct attaches using a bolt through the tow hook thread - which means if u track ull need to remove the air duct or find some other way to affix it)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/scas...sc/122_2237.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chris,
Have you got any photos of your car that you can post? How long have you had it?
My apologies for hijacking the thread a little
Steve here are some pics.
Bought my car from auction in Japan 5thOct and it arrived in my drive 2 days before christmas.
Email me and we can talk.
How did you get yours and what did it cost?

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sounds nice.
Any idea how 'near' this will be?
Final testing on the APS cold air intake will be completed within the next week or so. Conducting the final dyno tests today, with any luck this new APS upgrade will be released in late March 06, pics in the near future. :cheers:

Peter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts