Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been furiously looking all over the net, papers etc for a TRACK model. i've finally found one(within my price range) and i might be interested if everything goes well. i havent seen the car yet, but i will soon. the TRACK has 45,000kms on it and by the looks of pictures, it seems okay, but the final flesh shall reveal more.

what should i look out for when buyin a TRACK with high km etc ? are brake pads in need of replacing ? also, what should i be offering the guy ?

hrmm theres not alot of Z for sale in NSW atm. theres a few bargins over in QLD and VIC.

Also, would i be able to get some advice on pricing ? if a Z is advertised for $50,000 (both Dealer and Private), whats the cheapest i can bargin it down to ? i know it all depends on the person, but whats a reasonable amount without making the seller cringe ? i honestly dont want to waste any1's time or mine if theres no deal going on.

If you know of any1 whos selling a Silver or Pewter TRACK soon, can u please let me know ?

Any help would be great

cheers

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Also, would i be able to get some advice on pricing ? if a Z is advertised for $50,000 (both Dealer and Private), whats the cheapest i can bargin it down to ?
MAYBE a couple of thousands like 45K....

what should i look out for when buyin a TRACK with high km etc ?
tire feathirg with 03's

·
Registered
655 Posts
Things to look for:

* check the front tires for odd/unever tire wear

* check the transmission. the shifter can be notchy but it shouldn't be resistant to moving into a gear

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if the shifter has problems, would nissan fix it ? also, whats this clicking noise from the back wheel or tranny about ?

thnx guys

any1 else ?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Paintwork should be in very good condition except for the front bumber which should have may pits in the paintwork (this is normal for all Z's).

Check the oil level in the car - if low, then the owner probably paid no attention to the engine or the engine is drinking a lot of oil which has happened in a couple of Aussie Z's. Also, if check for oil leak on the ground where the current owner parks the car at home.

Check the air filter - it should have been replaced or at least cleaned at its 40,000km service. If it is black, then the filter has not been replaced and indicates poor serviceing by the existing owner.

Check all fluid levels under the bonnet to indicate proper servicing.

Check the brake rotors. At 45,000km, I suspect that the front rotors should have been replaced. If they are the original rotors, check the outer edge of the rotor. If there is an edge of 1mm or more, then the rotors are technically in need of replacement. OEM brembo rotors are very expensive - approx $1000 each from Nissan, but 1/3 that price for quality aftermarket rotors. If worn, you have good leverage to negotiate on price.

Check wear rate of brake pads. Again the OEM pads are very expensive.

At 45,000km, the tyres should have been replaced. Check tyres of even wear on the inside / middle / outside of tread pattern. If tread is uneven across the tyre, this indicates an alignment problem which is easily and inexpensively fixed, but the tyres may be shagged. Again another point to negotiate on.

When you drive the car, the shifter should change up and down into each gear without hesitation or noises whether changing gears slowly or quickly. If there are any grinding noises, then the synchos or gear box itself is stuffed - walk away if you don't want trouble or reduce the price and get Nissan to fix it under warranty.

Check all functions and buttons work inside the cabin.

Check for rattles - general driving on Sydney's shitty roads will reveal rattles. If there are no rattles, then it's a miracle.

Ask the owner if he has been involved in any crashes and check for crash damage - ie front bumper in immaculate condition and the driver does not tell you it was repainted.

Your best bet is to get a mechanic to check the car for you if you are not certain. You could try taking the car to Peter Pilkington at Sports Car International at Rushcutter's Bay as he knows the Z inside out.

Alternatively, get the NRMA to check the car for you or if you know another Z owner get them to help you check out the car. Deppending on where you are (ie near my area) I'd be happy to help you look over the car.

BTW, 45,000km is not high km - 245,000km is high mileage.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paintwork should be in very good condition except for the front bumber which should have may pits in the paintwork (this is normal for all Z's).

Check the oil level in the car - if low, then the owner probably paid no attention to the engine or the engine is drinking a lot of oil which has happened in a couple of Aussie Z's. Also, if check for oil leak on the ground where the current owner parks the car at home.

Check the air filter - it should have been replaced or at least cleaned at its 40,000km service. If it is black, then the filter has not been replaced and indicates poor serviceing by the existing owner.

Check all fluid levels under the bonnet to indicate proper servicing.

Check the brake rotors. At 45,000km, I suspect that the front rotors should have been replaced. If they are the original rotors, check the outer edge of the rotor. If there is an edge of 1mm or more, then the rotors are technically in need of replacement. OEM brembo rotors are very expensive - approx $1000 each from Nissan, but 1/3 that price for quality aftermarket rotors. If worn, you have good leverage to negotiate on price.

Check wear rate of brake pads. Again the OEM pads are very expensive.

At 45,000km, the tyres should have been replaced. Check tyres of even wear on the inside / middle / outside of tread pattern. If tread is uneven across the tyre, this indicates an alignment problem which is easily and inexpensively fixed, but the tyres may be shagged. Again another point to negotiate on.

When you drive the car, the shifter should change up and down into each gear without hesitation or noises whether changing gears slowly or quickly. If there are any grinding noises, then the synchos or gear box itself is stuffed - walk away if you don't want trouble or reduce the price and get Nissan to fix it under warranty.

Check all functions and buttons work inside the cabin.

Check for rattles - general driving on Sydney's shitty roads will reveal rattles. If there are no rattles, then it's a miracle.

Ask the owner if he has been involved in any crashes and check for crash damage - ie front bumper in immaculate condition and the driver does not tell you it was repainted.

Your best bet is to get a mechanic to check the car for you if you are not certain. You could try taking the car to Peter Pilkington at Sports Car International at Rushcutter's Bay as he knows the Z inside out.

Alternatively, get the NRMA to check the car for you or if you know another Z owner get them to help you check out the car. Deppending on where you are (ie near my area) I'd be happy to help you look over the car.

BTW, 45,000km is not high km - 245,000km is high mileage.

Best of luck.
thnx for the info.

oh question, do u have a pic of worn rotors ? coz im not sure what u mean by "1mm edge", is it like a slanted 1mm edge ?
also, how much would peter charge to get the car inspected ?

cheers

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
No I don't have a digital camera to take a picture for you.

Rotor wear 101:
To understand what I mean about rotor wear, firstly look at the rotor directly side on, that is the face of the rotor. Now place the nail of your index finger on the rotor face near the middle of the rotor (when the rotor is cold). Run your nail out towards the outer diameter edge of the rotor. If your nail does not catch at the outer edge of the rotor, then the rotor is brand new with no wear. If your nail does catch, then at the point that it catches, check the depth from the edge down to the rotor face. If this is greater than 1mm, then the rotor is technically out of spec and needs replacing.

I hope that helps.

I cannot tell you how much Peter will charge for an inspection, other than he will probably be a lot cheaper than NRMA.
His number is 9328 6588.

·
Registered
258 Posts
clicking noise from the rear axle - i had that one and was fixed under a TSB for it.. also passenger window motor went which apparently happens all the time too..
3rd gear would grind and be hella notchy sometimes..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Price wise i don't see any reason why you should be paying anything over $47,000 inc on roads.

I picked up mine 2-3 months ago from a Honda dealer for $47,000.00 inc on roads. It involved quite a bit of haggling. So basically i paid a bit over 45k for the car with 23k on the clock. Brakes pads were at 75% NO ROTOR WEAR original tyres all round with plenty of meat at the rear (more than the front) not i single mark inside and out

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Price wise i don't see any reason why you should be paying anything over $47,000 inc on roads.

I picked up mine 2-3 months ago from a Honda dealer for $47,000.00 inc on roads. It involved quite a bit of haggling. So basically i paid a bit over 45k for the car with 23k on the clock. Brakes pads were at 75% NO ROTOR WEAR original tyres all round with plenty of meat at the rear (more than the front) not i single mark inside and out
was this the one located at Yarra honda in Melbourne ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts