Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I think this forum is awesome. It looks great. It's informative. And it makes me want to go out and buy a Z. I've had that urge since about June 2005. So it's been about 7 months since and I still have managed to stop myself from buying one. Way back in 2005, I went to dealerships around So. Cal and I was thinking about getting an 05 base model Z, and they wanted 28.5k OTD for one. I just don't feel comfortable being stuck for 5 years paying off a car, especially when I read alot of posts that say people are selling because they lack the funds.

Right now, I'm driving a 91 Toyota Supra turbo that's about to take a crap pretty soon. My brother asked me if I wanted to keep the car when it dies, or drop in a new engine. I'd also want to get a new paint job. But then I'm worried that it might also run into engine problems again like all other cars do when they get another engine. Does anyone have any experience with restoring an old car? I'm no mechanic either, so if I have problems with an old car, I'd have to do tons of research just to troubleshoot the problems.

I've wanted a Z for a while now. It's just real sexy lookin. What's a newbie to do?

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
ooo well you do owna 91 supra and if your up for a new look i say go for the 350z IMO. i don't see no point in dropping any money in the supra if you ask me. like you said if you have problems with it, where do you get yout answers from then?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
The '91 Supras were great cars for their time, and I still like the way they look. The 7MGTE engine they are fitted with are good to about 400-450 rwhp, then the head gasket starts bailing like a flea from a burning dog. But if you're not too handy with turning your own wrenches, then I'd recommend stepping up to a new (or newer) car. Maintenance increases with age. It's a fact of life.

The Z is indeed sexy. And stock v. stock it will out perform your current means of transpo. But only you can answer if it'll be worth 5 years of payments.

Good Luck,
Ronin Z

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright.. well I been thinking and I'm leaning toward a Z. I found a 2006 used 350z base model in silverstone for 25994 before TTL. The car only has 130 miles on it. You guys think this is a good price? Or would it just be better to buy brand new because of the finance rates?

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I would question why it's used and only 150 miles on it? :dunno: Sounds sketchy....was it a test model? I'd steer away from buying a test model which was most likely beaten on really good...you sounded like you are concerned about not being able to afford it. You should look into how much it is going to be for you to be insured to drive it before you make a decision, esp if you are under 25....new car, male (I assume) under 25 = $$$ for the insurance. It's not cheap to insure. :dunno:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the story was one of the salesman at the dealership sold it to a friend but something happened, and it was returned to the dealership. Salesman said there was nothing wrong with the car. It is still under the same warranty and everything. Anyway, about the financing, I don't wanna pay high rates. That's why I'm using my dad to get lower rates especially on insurance ;). Anyway, the salesman just called me back and he said 5 grand down and 455/month. Doesn't sound too bad. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Well the story was one of the salesman at the dealership sold it to a friend but something happened, and it was returned to the dealership. Salesman said there was nothing wrong with the car. It is still under the same warranty and everything. Anyway, about the financing, I don't wanna pay high rates. That's why I'm using my dad to get lower rates especially on insurance ;). Anyway, the salesman just called me back and he said 5 grand down and 455/month. Doesn't sound too bad. What do you guys think?
I think that's too much. Besides, never ever give them money down. That actually doesn't go towards the loan, it goes into the dealers' pockets. You're better off talking them down in price even more, keeping the cash, then using it to pay the tax, title and registration first and maybe pay the car notes a couple of months in advance. Just my 2psi...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, I've been shopping around. Nissan of Garden Grove calls me, tells me they can get me into a Z with 5 grand down and around 400 a month. If they could do that, I'll finally get the Z I've wanted for months now. But then, I remembered the Good/Bad Dealerships thread. I read that Nissan of GG lies to you, so I'm not gonna get my hopes up. Is it worth it to go check it out?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Alright, I've been shopping around. Nissan of Garden Grove calls me, tells me they can get me into a Z with 5 grand down and around 400 a month. If they could do that, I'll finally get the Z I've wanted for months now. But then, I remembered the Good/Bad Dealerships thread. I read that Nissan of GG lies to you, so I'm not gonna get my hopes up. Is it worth it to go check it out?
I wouldn't do it. I never put money down. Keep shopping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts