Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to purchase a pair of aftermarket headlights. The only problem is; the passenger headlight seems brighter and dimmer. Let me explain.

10ft from a white wall the passenger side is significantly dimmer than the drivers side, but 100ft and on, the passenger side is significantly brighter.

I thought this could be an adjustment issue. When I adjust the lights (up and down) the passenger side shows no sign of brighter or dimmer due to a tilt problem if any, it just moves up

and down. Note: it is not the light itself, as the high beam in the passenger headlight does exactly the same as the low beam.

These are the HID equipped lights.

What could be the problem?

I tried 10ft and then 2 or 3 feet, see images.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
+1 with Jinxxy. Might be the angle you're looking. You could try switching the bulbs around, and or the ballast. The aim might be of horizontally. This would change the center focus an possibly the spread pattern. Had an old pair of Hellas on my AE86 and Toyota truck that had a very sharp cutoff pattern the left side of the beam was lower than the right. This prevented the oncoming vehicles from being blinded by the glare from my headlights.

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have interchanged the lights and the ballasts work fine. again, i am getting the same results using the opposite bulb. I will get pictures of the car in the dark.

thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here are the pictures with arrows to show what I am referring to. notice how the right side/passenger side seems to be a bit dimmer.

this shows up close and from a distance as seen in the pictures. these pictures were took from the left and right side of the car.

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/...comparison2.jpg
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/...comparison3.jpg
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/.../comparison.jpg

i have contacted the manufacture and he agrees with you guys that it might be an adjustment issue. I could believe that if both lights were of the same intensity, but one is clearly dimmer than the other.

I am beginning to think it is the assembly itself, as the high beam is affected also.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Are those LEDs in the housing? I couldn't tell. As for the difference in angle or brightness or whatever, it almost looks like there's an imperfection in the ballast or the plastic housing which might be affecting the light. :dunno:

BTW, what color is that? It almost looks pink.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, this whole light was a total disaster. the lights were ordered as a pair with a color temp of my choice. i chose 10000K (blue) instead i got 12000K (purple) error 1 :doh:

yes, those are LEDs

I will probably remove that light and, if I can return that light assembly and get a new assembly and the proper lights. I have adjusted and adjusted and the intensity is not going change.

I agree SmoothZ, I can't visibly see on the housing any defects, but the actual projector lens might have a defect. I have to keep reminding myself, these are aftermarket assemblies not OEM. error 2 :doh:

On a side note, I thought that the lens was dirty. I cleaned it with alcohol > no change, washed it > no change, waxed it > no change. So it could very well be the projector lens itself.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Well, at least it was worth the try to be different. I've not heard a lot about these types of lights for the Z, but that doesn't mean anything. I haven't been shopping for new lights, so I don't know much about the aftermarket ones.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You pay more, but STAY with OEM. EX) these lights were halogen type, converted over to HID. Guess what, my car came equipped with OEM HID. (don't ask what happened to the OEM lights, long LONG, story), these halogen type headlights will NOT plug into my car harness.

I had to locate on the car wire harness what each of the 8 wires went to, then splice into those - the side marker light, the running light, the HID lights and the high beam x2.

Lesson learned: STAY OEM.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
QUOTE (beetlespin @ Nov 14 2009, 03:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=586593
Lesson learned: STAY OEM.
Check that. :thumbsup: Stay OEM.

I hope you get this all sorted out. Sounds frustrating to say the least. I'm glad that the headlights made me happy and never attracted my modding bug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts