Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Brickyard vs Interlagos Fire

20K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  KShep 
#1 ·
Okay... this weekend at the Triangle Z Club/Triad Z Club show, I was finally able to sally up the BY next to a new IF Z. Unfortunately, the dealership had moved another Z in the way of the coupe, but I was able to put my car directly next to a drop top IF Z for comparison. Shots follow.

The quick and dirty... the colors look strickingly similar in only two instances. Indirect, high afternoon daylight and in the shade, both have similar appearances. In all other lighting (low level light, low light, direct light, blah, blah, blah... they are very different).

First up, some pics of just the IF roadster. (apologies if these don't look as clear as I describe, I'm having or resize to meet forum requirements.

In this photo, panels nearly parallel with the sunlight appear very brickyard-ish, but the areas where sunlight is reflecting strongly take on a coppery-brown hue (note back of car)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
As you move around so that you catch more of the reflected sunlight, the coppery brown transition to more of a baby-sh!t brown.... not my words, I believe Bryan coined that. In any case, I tried to capture this with the camera, but really couldn't get it perfectly. Here you can see the how the color changed by me moving the camera angle 45 degrees toward the front of the car.

Attachments

#6 ·
To answer the question above, I rolled my BY along side the roadster and took some shots.

This is late afternoon light. You can see the similarity in color, but the BY has a distinctly darker/redder hue. Again, the only way I can describe the IF is that it is more 'coppery'.

Attachments

#9 ·
at this angle, you can see where the lower black metal flake content of the IF results in a more "purple" appearance than the BY. The BY is, again, clearly darker looking in this light. Where the whole area behind the wheel on the IF roadster appears radiant purple, only the line precisely where the sun is hitting appears so on the BY.

Attachments

#16 ·
My conclusions...

I believe the two colors use the same base color. The similarity in certain light is too close for it not to be the same.

The real difference is in the metal flake. Not only is there a difference in metal flake color (Brickyard has a large content of black metal flake vs IF's large content of copper metal flake), but IMO Brickyard has more flake and a coarser grain of metal flake. This is most evident in the close up pic I posted of the taillights taken from the door angled toward the back of the car (3rd and 4th posts in this thread). The color and amount of metal flake is clearest for both cars in that pic.

I cannot overstate, tho, the baby-sh!t brown effect you get with IF. It doesn't show up well in any of my pics, but I heard lots of folks comment on how 'brown' the IF looked. I've heard BY called a lot of things, but never brown.

Anywho... hope that helps anyone trying to discern the difference between these two colors.

#19 ·
well from far away they look the same
but up close yes, the interlagos fire looks like brown
I wish I could have captured the baby sh!t brown effect. It really appears that way from a distance also. Like BY, it all depends on the angle and intensity of light hitting it. I can see it being mistaken for BY, but it won't take an expert to notice the difference if the lighting is right, either.

#21 ·
THANKS for taking full advantage of that rare situation and capturing some very cool pics. It was actually pretty interesting to see these 2 similar colors sitting side by side. Although, I would imagine the best personal assessment one could make is viewing it as you did – in person. I’ve been a huge BY fan (it was my original color choice until I was informed that it was discontinued mid-year), but the new IF is certainly a very good color as well. I can honestly say that I like them both. :clap:

Now, I’d like to see Nissan possibly create something in a 'dark' Forest Green color that also changes its hue in the bright sunlight. NIce!
:shiftdrive:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.