Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time. Time to replace the stock dusty break pads for some new, hopefully less dusty and better performing ones. Any suggestions and knowlege on the subject will be greatly apreciated. The car is non Brembro.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I went with Hawk pads. Brake dust is very little and are virtually squeak free.
+1 Mine squeek every once in a while, but usually I can't even hear the squeeking.

I have stock pads on the rears, and my fronts now dust less than the rears.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hawk pads are great, I am running them on all 4 corners. No problems w/ squeeking and you will not have that awful brake dust anymore!!!! :) You can get Hawk pads at Pepboys too, which most people don't know...just FYI
Do they stop your Z much better than the stock pads did?

Do they reuire any warmup, or do they stop the same initially?

Did you install the HPS?

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Do they stop your Z much better than the stock pads did?

Do they reuire any warmup, or do they stop the same initially?

Did you install the HPS?
Bite is MUCH better, and yes I got the HPS...I swapped mine out at 3250 miles :)

stock pad on left, new hawk on right........do you still wonder why there is so much freaking dust? :ahhh:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Thanks, I guess that makes up my mind. Any suggestions for aftermarket rotors?
Well if you are going to do rotors too, why not go for a stage I upgrade, you can get a nice package for less than buying the components separately. Stage I you will get: good brake fluid (mostly synthetic), stainless brake lines, pads and rotors. Just a suggestion. Check out our vendors and see what type of packages they can offer you a deal on. Stoptech, Stillen, you name it, they have it. :wavey: Happy modding!

·
Registered
14 Posts
HPS are great for the street, low dust, quiet and good performance.

I have the Stop Tech stage 2 kit with slotted rotors, stainless lines and race fluid.

One word of WARNING. I don't recommend them on the track. You can ask jinxxycat, she was there when I glazed my HPS's at Beaver Run and had a little off track excursion. I'm switching to NISMO's in hopes they will be a better dual purpose pad.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just ordered the Stoptech Stage2 slotted from Z1 Auto yesterday. Paid extra to upgrade from the Axxis pads to the Hawk HPS.

Nothing like DYI mods during the winter to gear up for spring!

·
Registered
284 Posts
HAWK HPS, here too. Dust is almost 0, squeels a little esp, in the summer? Not enough to annoy though. I have Brembo's and when I did the pads I upgraded to the Brembo slotted rotors as well. That may also help with the dust thing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I haven't had to replace the pads on the Z (since they are new, and the car is new to me).
However, in the past, I've had great luck with Bendix Titanium. Squeek free and hardly any dust. I did this on my Ford SVT, and the braking power was much better than the stock pads. Did the same upgrade on an Accord, with the same results. Oh, and a Grand Prix GTP.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm leaning toward NAPA's premium brake pads (NON CERAMIC).

The stock set up is ok, but with my experience on all of my cars I got the most stopping power out of these period and they saved my ass in my honda.

honda experience 10X bette than stock.

plus they are cheap, but you will have brake dust. and if you want it quiet dont use shims. ive done this for years. I'm not suggesting these for performance but for budget. and they are deffinatly way better than stock. In fact my buddy has his own shop and every nissan we put them on performed enough to put a grin on my face. even the 300zx we put them on. I guess when the time comes i'll be the first one to try them on my 350z.

but if you want a pure performance brand there are alot of other brands to check out.

************oh by the way i use dot 5 brake fluid and you get 80 extra degrees of boilover play so fade will be almost non existant and you will not warp rotors.****************

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hey pulps do you have the hotchkis springs on as well???? it says tvs in you're signature as well. just wondering because all the pice ive seen do not look as low as your'es. Do you have an 05?? I have the same car as you even the same color.

thanks.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just received a set of EBC Greenstuff pads and slotted rotors for my Z, I'll post my thoughts on them once I get them on and bedded in. It should be in the next few weeks. I would do it sooner but I want to paint my calipers because they are all chipped up.

I have them on my 72 Mini and the are absolutely great for street/mountain driving. On that car the dust is very low and they warm up quickly. That car is way over braked though, 8.5" vented/slotted rotors with 4 pot calipers in the front and aluminum brake drums in the back.

Chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts