Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up the car tomorrow and just thought about break in.

How long is it?

How strict is it?

What would any of you suggest after breaking in yours?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Verbatim the manual advises the following for the first 1200 miles:

-Avoid driving long periods at constant speed, either fast or slow, Do not run the engine over 4,000 rpm.
-Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear.
-Avoid quick starts.
-Avoid hard braking as much as possible.
-Do not tow a trailer for the first 500 miles.

OK if you are unfamiliar with the mechanics of automobiles or concerned in any way about your warranty, follow the manual.

Unfortunately though, the generic new vehicle break-in is born more out legal reasons than engineering concerns. As an example, the prescribed factory method does not generate sufficient connecting rod stretch (read high RPM operation) to promote an even wear pattern across the entire length of the cylinder.

My advice?
-Don't burn the clutch (if manual)
-Limit high RPM excursions to 2nd and 3rd gear.
-Don't "lug" (Drive around in a too high of a gear for a given speed. Think doing 35 in 5th or 6th)
-Avoid long duration steady state operation (fixed RPM or speed). Vary speed, rpm and gear as much as traffic conditions allow.

I don’t have the time (nor the energy) to get into the black art of engine break-ins. Simply put, if you don’t know what you’re doing. Follow the manual.

Regards,
Ronin Z

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will follow both the manual and ya'lls tips. Appreciate all the info, and i'm sure there will be more questions in the future.

Mississippi Z Car

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yeah, like he said - drive it like a Honda until 1200 miles - then - WOT! :irock:

The longest 1200 miles I've ever driven, by the way.

And - welcome to our 'hood. :welcome:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts