Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes have just recently started squeaking a little with 27,000 miles on the Z, and it is getting annoying. Just want some info and help from those who have already changed their pads and which brand you went with and whether or not you would recommend them. I really want to stop the squeal and cut back on break dust if possible. I have been looking at these green ones which say they reduce brake dust. Any opinions....

BRAKE PADS

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You are about to get a bunch of people saying get Hawk HPS. :)

They seem to be the popular choice on the forum.
:confused: :werd:

Get HAWK HPS. Love 'em. AS long as you break them in correctly, you should have only a v ery minimal amount of squeaking. As far as dust is concerned, my stock rears now dust more than my fronts after about 3 weeks of not washing.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts

:dunno:

what's confusing? :) Last time a thread like this came up, I recommended Endless (because they rock) and everyone else said Hawk HPS. Same info, different thread. It was just nicer for me to state it like that, than say: "search". I have nothing against the Hawk.. Just stating what happened before.

Because we Are the friendly forum you know! :irock: :werd:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I looked at the Endless, but they were about 2x the price of the Hawk HPS..

If you have almost 30k miles and have never changed pads, you might be in for a surprise (at least i was). Chances are the front pads are completely gone and may have started cutting into the rotors. You will either need to get the rotors turned or replaced. Mine were beyond saving so i went with Stoptech slotted:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:Brake_Rotors

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Toykilla, im not saying your wrong but I believe I woud know if they were cutting into my rotors. It would be nice to have some new slotted rotors anyway. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I am not saying I am wrong or right.. but my front rotors were toast it started with squeeling and over the coarse of a week got exponentially worse until it was finally grinding..

I did notice a huge improvement in braking when i went witht he slotted rotors and Hawk pads.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just found this on another forum. Have any of you hawk users had this problem?

"So I've had the pads on the car now for a few weeks. I put Hawk HP+ on the front of the car, and HPS on the rear. They work amazing once they are warmed up, but if you go into an autocross corner without warming up the pads you'll soon realize what you forgot to do :)

As for every day street driving. They are horribly loud! I mean squeel like a pig boy loud. I think I'll probably have to take them off and put some autozone specials on if I can get some for the car, at least through winter, and put the Hawk's back on the car for next season."

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
i have slotted rotors and have no squeaking at all. I do not track my car so i cant comment on them needing to warm up.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
how much are the endless pads?

http://www.endlessusa.com :)

not sure what the $ is anymore. I have some connects if you are going to put it down.

<edit.. front and rear sets start at $99. Up to $225 for SS compounds. (I WOULD NOT go with anymore than their Super Street compounds.. unless of course you are track only and need it..) (ayman you don't need it) :p >

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
:dunno:

what's confusing? :) Last time a thread like this came up, I recommended Endless (because they rock) and everyone else said Hawk HPS. Same info, different thread. It was just nicer for me to state it like that, than say: "search". I have nothing against the Hawk.. Just stating what happened before.

Because we Are the friendly forum you know! :irock: :werd:
Sorry, I typed that up quite early in the morning / late in the evening and I guess I forgot to put a :biggrin: . I thought it was funny that I was about to say to get the Hawk HPS, and right before I did, you somehow knew what I was going to say :). I meant it in a friendly sarcastic tone, that's all.

As far as the HAWK HPS pads squeeking, I wonder if those that have this noise problem with these pads follow the brake-in procedure, and if so, which one? I believe there is a procedure from Hawk and one from Stoptech. I used the Stoptech procedure, and all is fine.

Info on Brake Pad Choices

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Sorry, I typed that up quite early in the morning / late in the evening and I guess I forgot to put a :biggrin: . I thought it was funny that I was about to say to get the Hawk HPS, and right before I did, you somehow knew what I was going to say :). I meant it in a friendly sarcastic tone, that's all.

bah.. no worries man... no need to appologize for that. I knew you were being sarcastic. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts