Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 350 Z had to get new front pads and rotors at 16K miles. At that point, the dealership told me I had close to 90% left on my rear brake pads. I brought the car in at 20K miles due to some braking issues (car didn't stop easily anymore) and was told that the rear brakes were down to 2 millimeters from the metal. Has anyone else had brakes wear this fast or is something odd going on here??? I don't race the car and I don't slam on the brakes. What's the deal.

Jar S.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's hard to give a definite answer, but, it sounds unusual. Your pads shouldn't wear out that quickly under normal driving conditions and I'm positive the rotors should wear out either.

I'm also assuming your not in Oz (not that has too much to do with anything) as you talk in miles.

As always

H

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I've pretty much had to replace a set of pads every 10,000km or so (alternating front and rear) since I got my car.

I've done a bit of track work, but it still doesn't add up that my wear rates are so high.

So you're not alone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yeah ours has been appalling too, front and rear replaced in 25000klm.

but that has included a couple of track days which absolutely destroyed the pads ;)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My fronts were replaced at 30,000km. Rear still have a few thousand more kms to go.
sdjar5656 - My guess is that when the dealership told you there was 90% pad left at 19,000miles, they erred. 20,000miles (approx 36,000km) is all I would expect under normal driving conditions.
Don't fret, your pad wear is normal

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
anyone have any idea how much is it cost to replace the Stock brembo Pads? Front and rear?

If you go through Nissan, then it should be around $400 for the fronts and about $300 for the rears. Though, if you go for aftermarket pads then you should be able to do it for close to 1/2 price.

·
Registered
125 Posts
thats pretty good considering that dandenong nissan are charging me a whopping $300 just for the front wheels, and thats replacing the brake pads and machining the rotors. i dont know if the pricing works both ways for zeds with brembos and stock standards on the touring though. im currently doing a bit more research on getting better prices on brake replacements. i heard that bendix (www.bendix.com.au) high performance pads are quite affordable and better then most aftermarket pads (correct me if im wrong) should cost around 100 bucks a pair if anyones after some.

cheers

mr350zed

·
Registered
77 Posts
bendix ultimate pads are excellent for the price, but unfortunately they haven't released them for the Z yet (standard brakes, not sure about the brembos).

I used EBC greenstuff which are good but very dusty. Not as good as the ultimates and cost a little more.

·
Registered
125 Posts
yup your absolutely right..the ultimates are not out as yet for the zed. but you can get bendix advance break pads fitted on the front callipers. ultimates are designed to be fitted on the rears. so they tell be down at autobarn.

cheers

mr350zed

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Duncan - if you're looking for Bendix Ultimate pads you might want to consider dropping in to a mechanic's first and checking your pad shape.

A friend of mine is close with the guys at Pro Concept, and he was over when a 350Z Touring owner brought his Z in for a pad upgrade. During the swap, they noticed that the pad is identical to the ones used on 180SX's.

However, speaking to Nissan, I know that there are 2 different kinds of pads for the Touring. Since Nissan doesn't sell different pad compounds, it must mean that they're a different shape.

See if your pads are the same as a 180SX's, and if so it'll make finding pads a lot easier since S13s are pretty popular and there's a solid aftermarket for them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ahh thanks I'll check that out.

I find the ultimates great for the price, even better than some much more expensive pads ;)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Most of the Silvia drivers I know (and I'm pretty active on a couple of Silvia forums, as well as the NSCC guys who are primarily Silvia owners) and they swear by the Ferodo DS2500s as one of the best street sports pads they've used.

They're not the squealiest pads when cold, and don't require that much heat to work properly, and have a wide operating temperature which makes them good on the track. The biggest issue is the amount of dust they generate.

One of my colleagues uses the compound in his Formula Ford and he's quite happy with them in competition use. While his car is a lot lighter than ours, I'd hazard to say he brakes harder than most of us will too, for longer.

I've got a set waiting to go in, but every time Nissan's stuck another set of factory pads in there after I've told them not to. Next time I'll make it quite plain that they're not to, and should they do so I won't be paying for them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts