Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a stock Track package. I love the brakes so far. I have done numerous runs in the twisties and up and down Mt. Palomar. So far no fade, these brakes are the $hit; however, I never brake as hard or as deep into the turn as I do at the Track. Are the OEM pads good enough for the track?

Any awesome pad suggestions for a dual use pad? (hint: If you're thinking Green Stuff, you and I differ on what we like from a brake pad.) I will put up with dusting but not noise or a pad that is hard on rotors.

Has anyone tried Cobalt GT on a 350Z?

TIA,

·
Registered
168 Posts
Unfortunately, you're never really going to find a pad that will serve dual purposes, as a true track pad will be noisy on the street, dust heavy, and many times will not be in it's operating temp range on the street. Since it only takes a few minutes to swap pads, I use the OEM pads for the street (will eventually go with HPS for the street), and Cobalt GTR-VRs for the track. I have used the Cobalt GT-S pads, and they have a great initial bite, but as you begin to pick up speed and really compress your braking zone, you can exceed their ideal temperature range. My only complaint with the GTS was how noisy they were on the street.

At the track, I've seen Z's melt OEM, HPS, HP+, Carbotech Bobcat, Panther Plus, XP8, XP9, and all EBC pads in one weekend. Hawk Blues will eat your rotor alive. I'm tempted to try PFC01s, or Pagid pads, but am currently happy with my VRs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
**** Pig! The Z IShard on the brakes! I let you guys know what I go with and give youa full review after SOW.

Thanks for narrowing it down,

Nick

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by LBSOHK@Sep 8 2004, 08:14 AM
heard good stuff about those pads
carbon tech.
front :panther Plus
rear : Panther

or
Endless MA-11 pads , or Endless CC-X  ( kinda going extreme 
)

Carbotech makes decent stuff, but for a dedicated track pad, I haven't been impressed. Some of Cobalt and Carbotech's compounds are pretty similar, but the Carbotech ones tend to wear out much quicker.

I have a funny story about a guy named Brian, who had Matt of Carbotech as an instructor at VIR. Matt sold Brian Panther Plus' and Bobcats for the front and rear respectively of his Brembo application. After bedding them in, and then going out for the first session, he started having major issues with them going way too deep in the braking zone. So I helped Brian swap back in his OEM pads, and they performed better throughout the weekend. The funny thing is that Brian never told Matt what he had done until the end of Sunday, where Matt apologized and agreed to refund his money for the pads.

That being said, I've seen better results for Carbotech on lighter cars, specifically Hondas. I haven't been impressed for their 350Z application, and I know I'm not the only one here.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! I'll avoid the carbotechs!

Nick

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i just want a good set of street pads that won't dust the **** out of my rims. was thinking about the hawks or go back to using the green stuff pads (had them before on my old car, no problems with them and the rotors and very low dust)

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
dang, if that is 3200 miles on the OEM pads, i hate to see what mine look like after 13K

·
Registered
60 Posts
how do the Hawks HPS hold out as far as things like mountain runs?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a ton of shopping, I had finally decided to go with the ferodo 2500 pads only to find out that they don't make any for the Z's front Brembos! :lame:

Nick (still searching)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by John@Nov 23 2004, 11:02 AM
That's odd, they used to make the DS2500 for the front Brembo.  Do they make the DS3000 for the front yet?

Nope; none of their pads are available for the front! Are you sure that the 2500 used to be available?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by John@Nov 27 2004, 11:07 AM
Yes, I remember a fellow track junkie running them back in 2003.

Good to know. I'll contact ferodo myself , as opposed to a vendor, to see if I was misinformed. BTW did he like the pads?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts