Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my track spec Z in for it's 40,000 major service (39,600) and told the guys at the Nissan Dealership In Woden Canberra to look at the brake pads as they would probably need replacing given the kilometers on the car. I got a call a couple of hours after I dropped the car in and the guy told me I needed new front and read brake pads and also front and rear rotors at a total cost of $5,800. :eek:

Brake pads I can understand but rotors in under 40,000K? They have never been machined and they are apparently just above the legal level. Does this sound right to you guys? and does a bill of nearly 6 grand on a car with less then 40,000k on it for brakes/rotors seem normal? What about the price? Surely this can't be normal?

To give you an idea of the cars usage so far: I drive reasonably hard however I have never been to the track and my first set of tyres lasted 36,500k.

Even the mechanic at the dealership I talked to said that he'd be, and I quote "pissed" if the front and back rotors wore within 39,500k without even being machined.

Anyone else had similar experience?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Thats bullshit get your car back and go somewhere else. They either mistyped the price or are trying to rip you off.

A new 14" front and rear big brake kit with new rotors, calipers, lines etc is around that price.

You probabally need new pads but if you havnt machined the rotors before then surely they would do that first before replacing them, I think its dodgey.

When has everyone else had to machine their rotors?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I don't think that's normal. Unless you machine your disks a lot (or track your car a fair bit) then the disks should last over 100k km on the front, and a bit longer at the back. If you look after your car, but do track it a fair bit then I'd still expect 40k km out of the rotors.

Though, 40k km out of the pads is reasonable ... they could last good 60k km if you're not too hard on them but generaly speaking 40k km in not bad.

As far as the prices go, what you were quoted are probably competitive Nissan prices. Though, if you buy DBA rotors then you should not pay much more than $500 each, and (good) aftermarket pads should have you covered for another $500 or so (for all 4). So $2,500 is what the parts will cost you if you go elsewhere, and then another $200 - $300 for labor. Still that's $3k tops, and 1/2 of what Nissan would want.

ps. Have your brakes/disks felt OK before you got Nissan to check them out? No shiddering, vibrations, etc?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that's normal. Unless you machine your disks a lot (or track your car a fair bit) then the disks should last over 100k km on the front, and a bit longer at the back. If you look after your car, but do track it a fair bit then I'd still expect 40k km out of the rotors.

Though, 40k km out of the pads is reasonable ... they could last good 60k km if you're not too hard on them but generaly speaking 40k km in not bad.

As far as the prices go, what you were quoted are probably competitive Nissan prices. Though, if you buy DBA rotors then you should not pay much more than $500 each, and (good) aftermarket pads should have you covered for another $500 or so (for all 4). So $2,500 is what the parts will cost you if you go elsewhere, and then another $200 - $300 for labor. Still that's $3k tops, and 1/2 of what Nissan would want.

ps. Have your brakes/disks felt OK before you got Nissan to check them out? No shiddering, vibrations, etc?
The brakes felt fine and still do. Apparently I have 3000-5,000k left on brake pads so I am holding off till I had a chat to some people. This is my 4th car and I have never had anything like this happen to the rotors. I sold my XR8 at 55,000km's and I never even had to machine the rotors once. Different brakes but ****...

I would be interested to see if anyone in here with a track spec has had to replace the rotors before and if so, how long they lasted and how much Nissan charged.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The brakes felt fine and still do.

If they feel fine, then why would the disks need replacing? Have a look at the outside odge of the disk ... you can see how think the disk was originally right on the outer edge. That will tell you how much wear you have on your rotors. You would not think there's be enough wear to warrant a disk replacement all around.

ps. Take it to somewhere like BrakesPlus and get a 2nd opinion or the rotors in particular. BrakesPlus can also source/fit aftermarket rotors like DBA if needs to be so also ask them for a quote.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
$5800 seems a bit steep. I got quoted around $6K to get most of the bits for the Brembo brakes from Nissan (not including brake lines and master brake cylinder, plus other incidentals), and the calipers are the most expensive component.

I'm quite happy with my DBA LongLife slotted rotors, and for my Touring they were cheaper than OEM.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
That is ridiculous. A big brake kit in the states you can get for around $4000.00 to $5000.00 Not sure what the currency exchange is but Nissan is full of crap on this one. I put 4 new pads on my brakes, cost of the pads was like $180 (Hawk HPS) for all 4 corners and install was like $200 including replacing/bleeding brake fluid. MY rotors are fine after a couple of track sessions this season, never been replaced and she's an 03 w/ 24,000 miles on her (US)......Get a second opinion. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Contempt - you are being ripped off and you should never go back to that dealer other than for free warranty work. I'd even consider going to another dealer for warranty work.

Consider this -
4 x rotors @ $1000 / rotor = $4000
4 x break pads @ $200 each = $800
(These prices are insane BTW)
That leaves $1000 for labour. That is 12 hours (or 1 and 1/2 days!!!!!!!) of labour to change 4 rotor and pads @ $80/hour.

Nissan is kidding!!!

As DavidM said, you can buy your pads / rotors from Disc Brakes Australia for 1/2 the cost of Nissans quote.

Also, my font rotor has a small lip at the outer edge indicating wear and my rear rotor has very little if any lip. If the brakes are working fine, I would not even consider changing the rotor yet. 40,000km is reasonable wear for pads however.

BTW, this is not the first occassion that an Aussie on this forum has been told by Nissan that the rotors should be replaced at low km.

The reality is that the track brembo rotors are originally 30mm thick and the minimum thickness is 28mm. So you are allowed 2mm of wear on your rotor before it needs replacing (that is 1mm wear on each face of the rotor). So if your lip at the edge of the rotor exceeds 1mm in the outside, then chances are that it needs to be replaced shortly.

BTW, here is a DBA link for you. Go to pg 68 for the 350Z info.

http://www.dba.com.au/DBAcat_012005.pdf

Good luck and steer clear of Nissan if you want to avoid being taken for a ride.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We probably set a new record for replacing the front rotors then, our first set were done before 25,000. But we have taken it to the track a time or two, and it is the little brakes which have a hard time, not the brembos.

I found Nissan prices insane, and would recommend DBA 4000 series rotors and Bendix Ultimate pads....better than Nissan standard performance for about 800 total front and rear for pads and rotors.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I replaced all my pads and rotors at 30k miles, going with Stoptech slotted rotors, and Hawk HPS pads. i did the installation and total cost was around 500$

The front pads were completely gone, but the rear pads look almost new. Shows how much the rear pads actually do!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, your reactions were about what I was expecting. I just wanted to know if there was a known issue with the Z's rotors. I am contacting some guys I know in the Skyline community in Canberra to find a good place to get some non-brembo stuff installed instead.

...after I have a close look at the rotors to see if I actually do need to have them replaced.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Contempt - If you want to stick with the Brembo route (for the rotors) call Competition Friction up. Their shop is just outside of Canberra.

Aside from being the Ferodo importers, they also import Brembo gear. Perhaps they can get you suitable rotors without the Nissan bullshit markup.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just received the October edition of Perfect Fit, the monthly magazine that the parts division of Nissan Australia sends out to the motor trade.
Well guess what? The featured product is DBA disc rotors, there is a 2 page article about rotors & as an introductory offer, Nissan dealers are offering 10% off the already low Nissan rec., trade prices ( there words not mine)
The offer is good to 15 November & is for all DBA rotors for all makes & model cars.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Excellent! I'm up for rear rotors for my car soonish, anyway.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I wouldnt assume that this means they will be cheaper through a Nissan dealer or anyone buying through Nissan parts. I would still buy them from somewhere else as i'll bet they are still cheaper externally.

Even if they do pass on the saving to the customer 10% off a rip off doesnt equal a good deal.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just received the October edition of Perfect Fit, the monthly magazine that the parts division of Nissan Australia sends out to the motor trade.
Well guess what? The featured product is DBA disc rotors, there is a 2 page article about rotors & as an introductory offer, Nissan dealers are offering 10% off the already low Nissan rec., trade prices ( there words not mine)
The offer is good to 15 November & is for all DBA rotors for all makes & model cars.
Cool Pete. Where can I get a copy of this mag so I can walk up to the service department with it?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Contempt - If you're going to ask the service manager about the DBA rotors for your Z, you should also make a telephone enquiry directly through DBA about the cost of the replacement rotors. Also, be sure that the SM specifies which DBA rotor he is quoting you (I suspect it will be the one piece DBA 4000 series, rather than the more expensive DBA 5000 series which is a 2 piece rotor).
My money says that DBA will give you a better price than the dealers discounted introductory offer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cool Pete. Where can I get a copy of this mag so I can walk up to the service department with it?
The magazine is a Trade mag & the offer is to the trade, PM me your fax # and I will send you a copy
It states " All DBA disc rotors for all makes & models.
If you require new front DBA 4000 rotors I have some for sale " cheap "

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thought I'd ring my normal Nissan parts supplier for a price.

350Z Track genunine front rotors Trade Price $657.34 + GST
350Z Track DBA 4000 front rotors Trade Price $136.32 + GST

I did not specify slotted or drilled, so I asume the price is for the non slotted 4000,s
He said they do not carry stock but have to order through DBA but get billed by Nissan.

If any of you want new DBA rotors I could get them in for you for a 10% margin on Invoice.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts