Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Assuming you have the same amount of money to spend, around $50K USD, the Z already starts off faster than the boxster. Add HALF the money you saved to the Z in mods, and you will be faster than the 911's. You may even run pretty close to a few Ferraris when tuned right. Plus, the Z is much sexier :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
About 2 years ago, I had the same dilema.
One test drive of each was all it took to solidify my decision to go with the Z. The handling of the 2 cars aren't even on par with each other. The Z is much more responsive. I had a rare opportunity to test drive my 3 choices all within an hour's time. The dealership had used 350Z's, Boxters, and RX-8's on the lot. The Z won, hands down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by Fleshrot@Sep 3 2005, 04:42 PM
About 2 years ago, I had the same dilema.
One test drive of each was all it took to solidify my decision to go with the Z.  The handling of the 2 cars aren't even on par with each other.  The Z is much more responsive.  I had a rare opportunity to test drive my 3 choices all within an hour's time.  The dealership had used 350Z's, Boxters, and RX-8's on the lot.  The Z won, hands down.
[snapback]152262[/snapback]​

That's interesting to know that the Z handles better than a Boxster. In terms of speed, I assume the Z is faster as well? I will hopefully be in the market for a new Z in the near future, and am doing my reserach now to solidify the Z as my choice. :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I just heard that Consumer Reports rated the Z best bang for the buck in its class.

The Z would be better than the Boxster for many reasons, all of them pretty much based on $$$. Costs less to buy, insure, fix, mod, or maintain.

And yes, it's not as powerful as the Z.

You don't see a guy driving a Boxster like it was a stolen sportscar now, do you? :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Sep 3 2005, 05:33 PM
I just heard that Consumer Reports rated the Z best bang for the buck in its class.

The Z would be better than the Boxster for many reasons, all of them pretty much based on $$$.  Costs less to buy, insure, fix, mod, or maintain.

And yes, it's not as powerful as the Z.

You don't see a guy driving a Boxster like it was a stolen sportscar now, do you? :shiftdrive:
[snapback]152277[/snapback]​

Hehe... only if it IS stolen!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I bought my Z:

1. looks
2. coupe
3. power
4. handling
5. build quality/service record
6. looks
7. Nearest Porsh-a dealer 2 hours from here
8. power
9. to spank Boxter owners
10. looks!

Buy a Z now, you hear?
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
2004 Boxster has or had 3 different models:

Base = 2.7L 228 hp and 192 ft-lb

S = 3.2L 258 hp and 229 ft-lb

S Special Edition = 3.2L 264 hp and unknown torque

The 2004 Z:

All of them have 3.5L with 287 hp and 274 ft-lb of torque.

Based on the specs alone, it's no contest that the Z wins. It's the best bang for the buck of any RWD sportscar under $45000. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
163 Posts
A friend of mine has an 03 Carrera which I drove recently. Maybe I was expecting more, but I was not impressed. The shifter had long throws, the car rattled, and really did not feel that much faster than my Z. I'm not saying it's not a great car, but for $70-80k I was disappointed.

This being said, there is no way I would buy a Boxster!

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
We may be talking about the '04 Boxster, but The '06 Boxster S is a damm nice sports car. 280hp @ 6200rpm and very nimble...236 ft. lbs torque. I would prefer the Z in for bang for the buck comparison...but if $$$ is available, the Porsche gets my nod.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
"Bang for the Buck" is my perspective in every thing I buy.

To me - it's called value.

I could have bought a new C6 - but didn't think it has as much overall value as a Z.

I use the same approach for clothes - furniture - yard tools - and hookers. :goodtimes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Sep 3 2005, 05:33 PM

I just heard that Consumer Reports rated the Z best bang for the buck in its class
[snapback]152277[/snapback]​

Remember this is Consumer Reports. I subscribe to it, but I pretty much ignore the car stuff. However, this was a test of Roadsters, note Coupes. The rankings were:

1. Boxster
2. M/B SLK
3. Corvette
4. "Z"
5. S2K
6. Z4
7. Audi TT
8. Lotus Elise

Even though that's how there ratings were - Their recommendations were:

1. "Z"
2. S2K
3. Z4

The recommendations factor in reliability. All the cars in the ratings finished in the Excellent range except the Audi (Very Good) and the Lutus (Good)

Lou

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll bank on the Z any time just becuz it has 35 yrs of history and it's more reliable than Porche IMO. I would regret if I spend $60k on a low end Porche later turns out to be a POS just like the last generation. Besides Boxster is just another 911 wana be.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I was buying, the Boxster S was my first choice. Both R&T and CD rate it ahead of the Z, and friends who have Boxsters have taken me for rides. See, that turned out to be the catch--I could only ride because there wasn't enough leg room for me. So, the Boxster was out. Next choice was the Honda S2000. Short version: No leg room. Third choice was the Z, and the rest is history. With a year of ownership, would my choices be the same? Yup. If I could get into the Boxster, there would be one in my driveway right now. Sorry, Z fanatics, but that's how it is. I love my Z, but it wouldn't be my choice with the other two cars in the running.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by joe c@Sep 4 2005, 08:50 AM
When I was buying, the Boxster S was my first choice.  Both R&T and CD rate it ahead of the Z, and friends who have Boxsters have taken me for rides.  See, that turned out to be the catch--I could only ride because there wasn't enough leg room for me.  So, the Boxster was out.  Next choice was the Honda S2000.  Short version:  No leg room.  Third choice was the Z, and the rest is history.  With a year of ownership, would my choices be the same?  Yup.  If I could get into the Boxster, there would be one in my driveway right now.  Sorry, Z fanatics, but that's how it is.  I love my Z, but it wouldn't be my choice with the other two cars in the running.
[snapback]152326[/snapback]​

What were the reasons behind the 3 choices? Why the Porsche? I was looking at used Porsches before I bought the Z, but for the life of me I couldn't find a decent one for the right price. They were either too slow with no balls, or too expensive.

I barely considered the Honda. Nothing more to say about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
smoothZ: The Boxster to have is the S model. The base Boxster ain't quick. What had me ga-ga for the Boxster were the looks and the handling. Plus, I have to admit that the Porsche name was an influence. Unlike some previous Porsche "offshoots," like the 928, 944, and 914, the Boxster seems to have gained a solid spot in the lineup--for example, the Cayman is an evolution on that.

It helped to have a few friends at work who owned Boxsters and had had nothing but positive experience in the first years of ownership. Reading the Z sites gave me some misgivings relative to both the Boxster and the S2000. I knew all about the tire issue before I even went to the dealer, so I bought with eyes wide open.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts