Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was pulling out of the driveway behind my house when I heard a terrible scraping noise, followed by a loud clunk, more scraping, and me screaming like a little girl. It seems the jackasses at the pet hospital decided to relocate one of their concrete parking blocks (those things you pull up to when you park your car - kind of like a big concrete log) to directly behind my driveway.

I have a few questions... First off, my car is already lowered so clearance is bad enough as it is. Imagine what driving over one of those beasts would do. Do I have any kind of rights legally when it comes to damage possibly caused by this thing?

Secondly, the noises were terrible, but I'm not sure what on my car could have been significantly damaged. It still runs fine, and I'm sure there's nothing permanently FUBAR'ed, but is there anything I should take a closer look at? I've never had my car up on a lift (at least not when I was there), so I'm not sure what parts would have taken the brunt of the damage.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Mine scraped the front air diffuser underneath, bottom of lip.

check exhaust for dings, too....

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
I would just take it to a local shop and ask if they lift her up and do a quick inspection...if anything is damaged you'll be able to see it.

If the pet hospitals property was on your property without your consent or knowledge, any damaged caused to your Z is their responsibility. A diagram would help clairify your description of the incident.

Happy the car is running o-k...those concrete barricades can be brutal.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Grace St Animal Hospital???? Dude that sucks bad!!!!! I'd think that if their property was in the way of your driveway that it would be their responsiblity.....def. call them....and def. have someone throw your baby up on a lift to check her out....yeah exhaust would get dinged up under there....maybe cracked that mud guard thing under the engine, air diffuser up front....(mine has taken a beating lol you can get one from courtesy for $60 new)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
NOOOOO!!! Call them right now if you haven't already stormed into their office demanding heads!

Keep us posted. I want to know what they are going to do.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Check exhaust, gas tank, suspension.. just get under it and look around. You will definately find where you bottomed by finding the scrapes.. then gauge the damage from there.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Does the parking block have the hospital's name on it? If not, you may be SOL. If there's nothing to identify it, and was in the road and not on your property, it may be considered a road hazard. If it was on your property, then it may be considered your responsibility to ensure your driveway was free of obsticles. You may find that the only way you can get reimbursement is if there is some way to identify the block as belonging to the hospital...even then, it may be a tought sell.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's my crude layout of the crime scene. The blue splotch is where I park my car, and the red squares are the parking blocks. It seems one of them found its way into my driveway, and I didn't notice while gettin in that morning.

The car still runs fine, but I'm still pretty annoyed/freaked out by it.

Oh yeah - and for all you smartasses out there: NO, I do not have access to the garage or I would obviously park my Z inside it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Now that you provided a visual, I think someone doesn't like your Z and did that on purpose. It looks like sabotage. Time to invest in a little camera and hide it somewhere around your parking spot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I must agree, that parking block is a little suspicious. Was it oriented perpendicular to your vehicle as in the visual? If so, you probably it both your mud flaps. Also, why didn't you feel it when the rear tires rolled up to the block. Now, if it was orientated parallel with your car, it would have gone down the middle and missed the rear tires, possibly causing more damage.

As for the hospital and a claim, I would get pictures ASAP. Make sure to get a photo of the block on your property. Second, see if you can get picks of scrap marks on the driveway. That way, you can clearly show that it was dragged from their property to yours. Thus, it belongs to them.

If you can get images, I would go over and ask for the owner. Keep it civil. There is no need to take someone head off. Just calmly layout your argument: the block is theirs, they - or someone else moved it behind your car, it is their responsiblity. If they bauk, so "okay, I will discuss this with my lawyer - you might want to call yours". Then, call your lawyer. Don't make the threat and then not follow up. I think your claim is weak without some good photos, but IANAL.

In any case, sorry to hear about your luck. Maybe park face first so that you will see everything next time. I would setup a hidden cam if I were you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts