Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having ongoing problems with my CD player. In the morning when I first get in the car my CD's skip - doesn't matter if they are clean, originals or burnt copies they all jump. Once the car and CD player warm up the problem stops. I have spoken to the dealer and they claimed that my CD player is probably just dirty, however I have taken to cleaning it once a week.

I have spoken with another 350Z owner who claims to have the same problem. The CD will skip when the car is idling.

I am due for my 40,000 service and would like to confront the dealer (once again) with the problem, would help my case if anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Welcome to the Blose system. This is a common problem with these head units. The dealerships usually just replace them with a refurbished head unit that often has the same problems. I think LBSOHK had something like 8 different HUs installed

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it plays fine when it warms up, then I wouldn't sweat it because it's probably just some condensation and everyone has it. If it does it all the time, then you've got a problem. I'm on CD player #8 with just over 24k miles on it and have had a variety of problems 2 stopped playing, 1 stopped playing sound out of the right speakers, 3 had skipping problems, and 1 never made it out of the dealer because it didn't work at all. My dealership's been really cool about it all, and I just call them up now when it stops working and they order another. However, after my last one, I finally got Nissan USA involved, called Bose and Clarion. Basically, Clarion won't do anything, and Nissan USA wanted my service techs to talk with Clarion so they would do a step by step trouble shooting thing. Well, my techs never talked with my Nissan rep (like they were supposed to), so they never got routed to Clarion. However, they checked every wire and my amp to make sure there weren't any weird spikes or anything...and everything checked out ok. Now, I've had it four about 2 weeks now, and everything seems to be okay, but we'll see. Not that anyone really wanted to hear this story, but if you end up going through a few replacements, I just wanted you to know what steps they'll put you through.

Derek

BTW-If you call Bose, they'll just route you to Clarion, and then they'll just be rude and won't say a single word to you without you going through a Nissan rep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

The problem is ongoing, in fact I haven't had a CD not skip for the last 12 months. The dealer has been continually blowing me off telling me to clean it!!

Obviously they don't believe that I am putting a cleaner through it every week.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yeah this sucks big time. I'm on my second HU for several months now and the problem I had with my previous one is back.
The CD basically skips but the weird thing is it's only the earlier tracks. :headshake:

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
If it skips at the beginning, does it skip in the 30-40 minute range too? If so, the laser is probably having problems when it's close to the center of the CD

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, if it's behaving like that at all temps, then you need to get a new one. If your dealership won't fix it without too much hassle, then call up NissanUSA. They'll have it fixed in 2-3 days with your dealership.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Dec 31 2004, 09:25 AM
If it skips at the beginning, does it skip in the 30-40 minute range too?  If so, the laser is probably having problems when it's close to the center of the CD

That's exactly it.
If that's the case then I might try to get them to replace it again before I install any of my audio mods. :headshake:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Happend to me.

Went to dealership they didn't even listen to it, just replaced the head unit with a new one - wait time (45 min).

Took 2 days for delivery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem, as I start down the hill from my house in the morning the cds skip..skip..skip. crappy HU!

·
Registered
406 Posts
[/quote]

TRUE, TRUE and TRUE again. The same audio CDs that appear to function flawlessly in the warmer weather, seem to encounter some skipping problems in the (useless) freezing climate. I've learned to live with that minor malady. I find as the car interior warms up, those CDs experience zero skipping episodes.

Geeez, I gotta move to that tropical climate ....................soon!
:shiftdrive:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just started having the same problem. It didn't do it when it was new. Now approaching 2 years old.

·
Registered
467 Posts
-Phew- This is one time I'm glad I have a base model! :wavey:

Just kidding guys...that sounds like it would be annoying. :banghead: I know I would be pissed. Hey at least it gives you an excuse to upgrade your head unit! :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts