Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am consistently bombarded with emails and PM's with questions on how to fix or upgrade the Bose sound system. I suggest anyone and everyone read this write up i did. I am sure it will stir emotions and bring new questions to surface. Post any and all questions you have in this thread and I will do my best to answer you. Also if you find any errors in my writeup please let me know.

Article Link:
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...e&pg=article001

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good info. After listening to BOSE for 2 years now it's got to be the biggest disappointment on the Z. We just got a new Durango with a base Infinity system and it hands down sounds tons better than the BOSE. I've heard BOSE in other cars and they seem to get it right in some of the vehicles. What I'm wondering is can we SHAME BOSE into coming out with automotive upgrade kit? Given the total tear up you have to do to fix the BOSE system would it be cheaper to pay BOSE for a "upgrade"...I'd be willing to shell out another $500 to BOSE to get major improvements and this seems cheaper then spending $1000+ to rip the BOSE system out and put in something else.

At this point I don't have much to lose by EMAILING BOSE for a response....

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Does anyone here ever notice a high pitched noise coming from the engine bay when your car is turned off but the stereo is on? Try it. I have noticed it only when detailing the Z or when at shows with the hood up, stereo on, and standing in front of the car. I wonder what that is...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good article.

But it doesn't cover one more option : Keep the HU and replace everything else. Again, using a LOC you can keep the HU and 6 cd changer and the OEM dash look but replace with a better amp (technical note, the BOSE has two amps, one for the speakers and a small one for the sub) or amps and get better speakers, etc...

This is the (slow) route I took. I purchased the loc used from somebody on the web. Next to choose a good set of amp and speakers that can work well together.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by slaponte@Jul 6 2005, 11:49 AM
Good article.

But it doesn't cover one more option : Keep the HU and replace everything else. Again, using a LOC you can keep the HU and 6 cd changer and the OEM dash look but replace with a better amp (technical note, the BOSE has two amps, one for the speakers and a small one for the sub) or amps and get better speakers, etc...

This is the (slow) route I took. I purchased the loc used from somebody on the web. Next to choose a good set of amp and speakers that can work well together.
[snapback]127379[/snapback]​

just what we did, got another amp (alpine) and replaced the woofers and tweeters with alpines as well........sounds much better, now to replace the sub...........

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by slaponte@Jul 6 2005, 09:49 AM
Good article.

[snapback]127379[/snapback]​

thanks.. i will add that..

·
Registered
151 Posts
so if I leave everything stock but install a different sub and amp will I be ok? The amp would just be for the sub.

·
Registered
151 Posts
sweet. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the article, I am new to this forum, so I don't want to repeat much of the same questions you have answered before.
I understand there are limitations with the factory Bose setup, basically I just want increased flexibility with my head unit for now. Ipod integration being the number one reason.
My question is this, If I use the pre-amp out on a aftermarket HU (alpine 9853) to the factory Bose amp, do I still need that oem interface adapter, with an unamplified signal?
Also, from the schematics, the sub amp takes its signal from the bose speaker amp, do I lose the factory sub tying in the factory amps from a new HU?
Thanks

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You cannot use pre-amp outputs from an aftermarket HU into the Bose amp.

If you use high-level Bose specific convertors you can keep your Bose amp/speakers/sub.

Sorry i have not had time to dig up the exact part number that you need for this..

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
My 2005 has the upgraded Bose unit.

Bose® digital audio system with
AM/FM/cassette/in-dash 6-CD changer
(240 watts)

Seven speakers, including 10" Nd®
subwoofer

Satellite radio: No satellite radio reception is available unless optional satellite receiver and antenna were purchased and installed, and an XM® or SIRIUS™ satellite radio service subscription is active. Satellite radio option can only be installed in vehicles that were factory pre-wired for satellite radio. Not available in Hawaii or Alaska.

Sounds a lot better than the 160W Blose in 03.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
my 2 psi:

long time Bose owner here.. and I wish I would have opened my ears earlier..

Bose is nice.. but not worth the money at ALL.. Paper drivers and HUGE markup.. However they do have nice cabinet design here and there..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts