Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short and simple. Do you have Borla with non-resonated test pipes? Is there a raspy sound?

I have resonated ones but the weld came apart and i am thinking about going with non-res pipes..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The rasp depends on the thickness of the steel they used to make them.I noticed the early HELIX ones I had were raspy but since they have thickened the SS and are not as raspy. The thicker the SS the less rasp.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
i know with TT the raspiness is almost gone, however with NA u still feel it

Josh, is the rasp sound all the time? or for a small period, then it goes away as u speed up?

·
Registered
43 Posts
WOW! didn't you just install your test pipes? I just installed mine this weekend with my Borla will discuss it later when I have more time. The Borla is for sure louder than stock especially in the car I like it but gonna take some getting used to think im gonna dynamat the doors and truck.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
hmm no rasp but i hve resonated pipes. josh i had to have parts of the exhaust welded to prevent the noise

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm no rasp but i hve resonated pipes. josh i had to have parts of the exhaust welded to prevent the noise
the rasp has nothing to do with the welding.. i do not have rasp right now with resonated pipes, but they are cracked and i am considering non-resonated ones.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have helix test pipes, and to bam, why the heck wouldyou want to add all that weight with the dynomat??? that kinda messes up the whole idea of getting a performance exhaust doesnt it? **** i want mine as loud as possible, i was considering getting rid of the resonaters in the borla to louden it up, on a side note, between the test pipes, borla dual catback and aem cai, the test pipes were the biggest difference :) as well as the cheapest.. just fyi

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
IMO, resonated TP = :flush: waste of money (at least for those in non-carb states).

I have the Helix pipes and don't mind the sound at all. The 'rasp' only lasts for a second or so.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMO, resonated TP = :flush: waste of money (at least for those in non-carb states).

I have the Helix pipes and don't mind the sound at all. The 'rasp' only lasts for a second or so.
disagree.. i prefer resonated with stock exhaust..

·
Registered
728 Posts

throw an aftermarket Y-pipe on your exhaust and let me know how bad the rasp is. On a stock exhaust, resonated or unreseonated, it doesn't matter much. You mix into the equation an aftermarket Y-pipe and it is RASP city. Sounds absolutely awefull.

With the borla, I wold think you would be fine with a good set of unresonated TP.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
throw an aftermarket Y-pipe on your exhaust and let me know how bad the rasp is. On a stock exhaust, resonated or unreseonated, it doesn't matter much. You mix into the equation an aftermarket Y-pipe and it is RASP city. Sounds absolutely awefull.

With the borla, I wold think you would be fine with a good set of unresonated TP.
agreed.. i put a ypipe on with resonated test pipes and it sounded horrible.. pulled it off immediately

·
Registered
99 Posts
ok I added non resonated test pipes to my Borla tru dual. And I think it sounds horrible... Its sounds badass when your parked and just raising the rpms but I think it sounds too riceee when ur haulin'. Love the increase in power first time my car started scratching hard(almost loose control) in 3rd gear. is there a way to add resonators to the test pipes.? :doh:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok I added non resonated test pipes to my Borla tru dual. And I think it sounds horrible... Its sounds badass when your parked and just raising the rpms but I think it sounds too riceee when ur haulin'. Love the increase in power first time my car started scratching hard(almost loose control) in 3rd gear. is there a way to add resonators to the test pipes.? :doh:
yes and no, you can add resonators but it would cost you more than just buying resonated ones

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Has anyone tried the Borla TD with the Borla test pipes?? How does that sound?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts