Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about bolt replacement after removal from i.e. headers, propellar shaft etc. The manual states on certain bolts that you should replace them with new bolts.

I'm currently in the process of removing my headers, cats, exhaust, propellar shaft, and tranny. I'm just wondering if it's absolutely necessary? After removing my headers I examined the bolts and they appeared to be in great shape. They weren't extremely hard to remove but there wasn't any signs of damage.

I've got pics of some of the removal if anyone is interested?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
i saw another post somewhere of someone that did not change the bolts and needed to have their engine removed to drill them when they needed to take them out for another mod.

form what I read, a few more $'s for new bolts will save :doh: later

·
Registered
376 Posts
I used a little anti-sieze on all the bolts and so far it worked fine.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
check out the thread in engine/drivetrain - Dead Tech Walking.., My nightmare Header story

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I read that Dead Tech thread, ouch! I would have been pissed too. My idea on the whole bolt replacement was concerning stress and whether the bolts were in bad shape. I got both my headers off and all the nuts and bolts looked fine so maybe I'll put some anti-seize on them and hope for the best. Since my car's been on jack stands for the last 2 weeks and not able to be started I don't really want to leave it up any longer.
I don't know if any of the parts stores would actually have any of the nuts or bolts that I would need. Nissan parts at the all the dealerships aren't open so I'm kind of screwed there. :doh:
Well thanks for the input guys, hopefully I'll be ok.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Most bolts you do not have to...

Things like Head Bolts and connecting rod bolts things like that are a must...

If you are interested in all the little bits within the engine of the Z...

CHeck out this new section of our web site I am developing...

http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...h=153_1135_1136

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any bolts like your flywheel bolts for example that needs to be torqued to a certain high setting because of the stress and stuff that it is subjected to needs to be changed.. critical parts needs to be changed also like on the nissan titans for example... the brake caliper brackets have to be changed because once they are torqued they are no long usable. if you use the old bolts it can vibrate and loosen out of the threads and cause failure over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts