Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I work for a Nissan dealership and have a pretty important task involving installing a Stillen Series 1 body kit, nismo cat back, nismo cold air and some 18" wheels from Stillen. 2 bodykits and 2 bodyshops later I came to the conclusion that Stillen kits don't fit real good. The second shop to have this says all pieces are a great fit except for the Rockers. Anyone else have trouble with Stillen kits??????

·
Registered
300 Posts
Stillen is not one of your more popular companies for Z parts, service, you name it. I am not totally sure why as I have never bought from them but I have heard others dog them as low quality crap merchants. Enough so that I won't buy from them.

And anyway I am not a fan of their Z body kits and their superchargers are goofy, inefficient designs and require custom hoods (that also look goofy) and custom strut bars. Not my cup of tea, that's all.

I guess no body kit fits that well but I never heard of problems with Nismo or Veilside or INGS +1 etc., (some of the more reputable suppliers/designers out there for the Z).

I steer clear of Stillen.

I just don't like Stillen when there are so many other companies to choose from that seem to make better stuff.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Stillen makes a great SC actually.. its one of the safest ones out there. Its the same type that is applied as OEM to plenty of car companies that need these things to be efficient and last long on their vehicles.

I can't speak for their plastic work, but as far as their hardware, I've heard nothin but good things. Check out their exhaust too, sounds great!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Stillen is not one of your more popular companies for Z parts, service, you name it. I am not totally sure why as I have never bought from

They aren't? If you're not totally sure why, then why do you make the claim? Everyone dogs every company no matter what. Companies make mistakes all the time, more often than you or the public may know. Not trying to flame you here, but not having any personal experiences with them (either good or bad) won't justify what you're saying about them.

... I have heard others dog them as low quality crap merchants. Enough so that I won't buy from them

Have you even been to their facility in southern California? Sure, they are merchants for many products, but they also manufacture numerous parts themselves; utilizing their own tooling, CNC lathes, mandrel benders, etc. But I'm sure you already know this because it's outlined on their website. :biggrin:

And anyway I am not a fan of their Z body kits and their superchargers are goofy, inefficient designs and require custom hoods (that also look goofy) and custom strut bars. Not my cup of tea, that's all.

Body kits won't please everyone. Everyone has different tastes and that's what makes modding our cars with our personal touch so much fun. But how is their supercharger an inefficient design (again, not trying to get on your case...I'd just like to hear what ya have to say...I'm learning too!)? It's carb approved...50 state legal....NO ONE else can make that claim. "CARB PENDING" isn't the same. I'd think the design would have to be SUPER efficicient to pass smog out here in California. The S/C kit is only at about 6psi....very conservative....but for reasons. There's a warranty they offer with the stage 2 kit. The warranty is for the ENGINE. 3yr 30 some odd thousand mile warranty. Who else does this? (yet again not flaming you but just offering up some info you may not be aware of). Want more power? Get a different pulley. Simple as pie. And about the strut braces, thats just price you pay for FI. I know some of the high rise plenums have fitment issues with stock strut bars needing to spaced out with washers which actually decreases the amount of surface area contact the the strut bar has with the car itself. Not all aftermarket parts are designed to play well with others.

I just don't like Stillen when there are so many other companies to choose from that seem to make better stuff.

You're absolutely right...there are many different companies that make/merchandise parts for our cars. But saying you don't like Stillen because "there's lots of other companies out there" just doesn't make sense.

I know I'm sounding like a complete a-hole here (and I'm not personally directing all this to you LeMansEAKZ), but I'm new here and I've noticed a lot of people have gripes with companies because of what he/she/friend/fellow board member said and not from personal experience. I know that Stillen would do all they could for a customer if there was a fitment/quality issue with anything they sold. I would like to believe all the aftermarket companies would do the same. Like any company out there, if the customer doesn't end up with a good purchasing experience then there's a good chance the customer won't be willing to do business with that particular company again.

As far as the body kit fitment issue goes....give Stillen a call (or another call if you've already done so). Their urethane kits are suppose to be top notch (as you said everything fit great except for the side skirts) and I'm sure they'll be able to work out some sort of remedy for your dilema. Sorry to ramble on....I had to vent :)

sean

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wow. Too much to respond to here but I will try.

The reason I say Stillen is not one of your more popular companies is because others have said so (inlcuding myself). People don't like them = not popular. This is purely an opinion, as is the nature of popularity.

My desicion to not buy from them is based upon what I have heard. Dumb? Maybe , maybe not. There are plenty of other companies out there that people like and have nothing or very little bad to say about. I say why bother taking a chance on a comany with a bad rep.

And yes I just don't like their body kits for Z's. They look funny to me. But I see no problem with anyone who does likes them though. Cool?

And yes a supercharger is relatively inefficient by design. It adds power but uses power to create it (off of the crank itself). A turbo uses "free" energy that would normally blow out the back of your car. Hence a turbo is more efficient than ANY supercharger. I personally further don't like Stillen SC because of the screw design and the over-engine mounting that necessitates hood and strut modifications. By comparison, a Vortec SC does not require this (maybe others too?). So if you want a supercharger why would you choose one that requires modifications to you hood etc. if one is available that does not? Warranty and CARB legal aside (I do see you point there though). Sounds like reasons to not like Stillen to me. No offense.

I agree (as stated in my post) that all kits can fit poorly so I have no compaint there. I think we agree on this.

I don't think you are attacking me nor was I anyone else. That is cool. I maybe should have further explained my opinions and/or just been silent but I thought no harm done by sharing what I knew and/or had heard. Where there is smoke there often is fire and I have heard many smoke stories about Stillen. That is all I meant by it. But your points about sharing "I heard" stories and rumors are well taken.

No offense meant or taken :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
FYI-
CARB only applies to california, not 50 states.

I could careless if something is CARB legal, while in 1 state out of 50, that CARB legal status means everything.

Besides, California is goofy as **** - ever heard of proposition 65?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by Zivman@Jun 11 2005, 04:46 AM
FYI-

I could careless if something is CARB legal, while in 1 state out of 50, that CARB legal status means everything.

[snapback]112818[/snapback]​

California is goofy as ****...but the goofyness is spreading. California is like a test state for country wide law/regulation changes. I hate cali laws and regulations as well...and prop 65...hehe what about SB 420?

sean

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by socalsean+Jun 13 2005, 09:45 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Zivman
@Jun 11 2005, 04:46 AM
FYI-

[snapback]112818[/snapback]​

California is goofy as ****...but the goofyness is spreading. California is like a test state for country wide law/regulation changes. I hate cali laws and regulations as well...and prop 65...hehe what about SB 420?

sean
[snapback]113372[/snapback]​

SB 420 looks like a good one.

I brought up prop 65 because I used to work for Tarpet Corp (headquarters are here in MN) I worked in a dept that sold lead crystal and because of prop 65, we had to supply Cali stores with these 'biohazard' type signs to put up next to the lead crystal vases, bowls, and what not. Problem is, people would steal the signs and attempt to sue the store under prop 65. We then would send multiple signs with the planograms (displays). Funny thing is, you would need to EAT 5-10 lead crystal bowls , yes EAT them in order to get any sort of lead poisoning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts