Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Zee for less than a year and have noticed a "blotchy" appearance to the inside carbon-fiber-look door panels that wasn't there when it was new. It is particularly pronouced on the driver's side--as though it has absorbed body oils from my arm. Only thing is: I DON'T LEAN ON THE DOOR AT ALL. :wtf:

I tried cleaning the panel with a microfiber cloth dampened with a weak detergent solution. No joy. Then I hit it with low-gloss Armorall. No joy.

Does anyone else have this appearance? Is there a way to correct it? I missed a first-place trophy by two points in a ZCCA rules car show because of this. :angry:

Forgive me if this is not the appropriate forum. I'm still finding my way around. :newbie:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
might not be the best, but i use scrubbing bubbles on all the plastics and door panels LOL.. no splotchiness.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats an easy one

autoglym interior shampoo and a soft female nail brush

then wipe over with a warm damp chamois

dries matt, doesnt leave any residue

Thanks!

I'm willing to try this one. Is Autoglym only available through the Internet, or can you name a national autoparts chain (O'Reilly's, AutoZone, etc.) that carries it?

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean the panels. That should get rid of whatever oily substance is on there. Then I use Aerospace 303 on the panels, don't spray directly onto the panels, spray on Microfiber towel then apply, and buff w/ dry towel. That works for me, no blotchiness. Whatever product you use don't spray directly onto the doors.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
lol no u noob

its the little hand held brush that girls use to brush their nails, u get them from the chemist (or what u yanks call, 'the drugstore")

you lightly go over the door trims in circular motions, and the bristles get inside the plastic grain and lift the dirt out. No need to press hard or else the bristles will bunch up. A handy detailing trick. Can use the same method on the seats too, though make sure the bristles are really soft

im in Aus so cant say where to buy in US

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean the panels.
Yo Jinxxy:

Doesn't Mr. Clean leave a residue? I've seen some other recommendations for the Magic Eraser, but I've used that in the house on some things and have had to rinse repeatedly to get the soap off. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?:doh:

I try to follow the "less is more" philosophy in cleaning up my Zee interior, but I'm not afraid to use the right cleaners if they work...just don't want to make a bigger mess than I started out with. I've always kept my cars clean, but I'm new to the car show gig. Got one this coming Saturday and I'd sure like to get the door panels looking righteous.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats an easy one

autoglym interior shampoo and a soft female nail brush

then wipe over with a warm damp chamois

dries matt, doesnt leave any residue
Awright!

My Autoglym came today (just in time), and it works. :clap:

It took five or six passes, but whatever the blotchiness was is greatly reduced. I don't think the average car show judge will notice, and I will add the Autoglym-on-the-doorpanels regimen to my regular detailing. I think I will be back to "like new" in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the advice! :cheers:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Yo Jinxxy:

Doesn't Mr. Clean leave a residue? I've seen some other recommendations for the Magic Eraser, but I've used that in the house on some things and have had to rinse repeatedly to get the soap off. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?:doh:

I try to follow the "less is more" philosophy in cleaning up my Zee interior, but I'm not afraid to use the right cleaners if they work...just don't want to make a bigger mess than I started out with. I've always kept my cars clean, but I'm new to the car show gig. Got one this coming Saturday and I'd sure like to get the door panels looking righteous.
YO Zeero :wink:

The process I use w/ magic eraser is this:
First off, if you use vigorously it will shred off bits of white foam. So I do this w/ doors open and towels on interior floor and let it shred :lol:. I take a small container w/ water as suggested and wet it, wipe it over the doors and then take a wet microfiber towel and wipe down. I never get soap suds, at all w/ it. Are you putting soap on it? That is wierd. After wiping off w/ wet MF towel, I take a dry mf towel and wipe down. Then apply the aerospace protectant with a mf towel. Sorry I didn't clarify about the eraser.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you putting soap on it? That is wierd
Nope. Used the eraser (according to package instructions) on the painted metal doors of my house. Rinsed repeatedly with wet towels, but still had streaky white residue (the doors are dark brown).

I'm keeping your suggestion in my file of "possibles." But since the Autoglym seems to work, I'll go that way for now. I have the magic erasers in my car care cabinet, just haven't been brave enough to use them on the interior--they work well on the underbody airflow management spoilers before hitting them with tire dressing.

I appreciate your suggestion. I have been desperate for a way to get the door panels righteous for the car show tomorrow. :wavey:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yo TPIACE:

The Autoglym interior shampoo worked well enough for me to take a first place trophy in the 350Z Coupe class at the Oklahoma Z Car Club show today. THANKS for the tip! :cheers:

Also: thanks to everyone's suggestions. That's what makes this forum so useful--you get lots of input and you can make your own decision as to what you want to try. :yourock:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts