Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

"Best Sportscar" from Road&Track

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  zuffy 
#1 ·
Road and Track recently had a pretty cool article where they looked for the best sportscar. They copmapred the 221kW 350Z with an S2000, new Boxster S, 911 S, SLK350, Z4, Elise, Viper and a new Vette. It's a pretty good read and provides some good data even though the 350Z did not do well at all. They finaly learnt that 350Z 'falls down' when driven above 8/10th ... only took them 2 years. I'm surprised how long it takes some jurnos to figure out ... took me about 2 test-drives to get that feeling and then one it was run it only about 1/2 hour to make certain.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?pr...9&page_number=1
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/downloa..._data_panel.pdf

Interesting to compare the acceleration numbers that they got out of the 350Z with the 2.2L S2000 and 3.5L SLK. Looks like the SLK has it whooped, which surprises me.

#3 ·
what suprise me as well that a Corvette beat the 997.

Keep in mind that this is an American test and somehow the Vettes always do alot better there than anywhere else around the world. Not taking anythiung away from the Vette, but when a UK and local mags seem to be (almost) quicker with WRXs then it gets me suspicious.

Still, the Vette has to be a very quick car as it's more or less HSV GTO with 200kg removed and big wheels/tyres. (not that they share much else but the engine, but it makes for good reference point).

#6 ·
I finally got to read the article in detail ... in particular the detailed brakedown for the track-times. The 350Z really did poorly - it seems it could not muster speed down the straights, nor through the corners.

Also the comments about the 221kW engine surprised me - they said it feelt just like the original ie. torquey at the bottom and breathless at the top. One would hope that it would no longer be breathless at the top with the revisions that they made :-( Afterall, most of us fixed most of the original "breathlesness" with an aftermarket exhaust. I wonder if an exhaust would fix this on the 221kW one as well?

#8 ·
Like I said over on the dark side - JUST A BOULEVARD CRUISER!

Should have been released with a cammy goer of an engine like the S2000,
or a turbo. Something like 250kw., especially given it's weight.

I'm bloody sick of pedalling like mad to keep up with mum's shopping trolley at the lights!

FRIZZLEY

BTW - where is everybody?

#9 ·
A cruiser with potential?

And frosty the exercise is good for you mate! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.