Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the best product to remove brake dust might be? I have scrubbed and scrubbed my wheels the ol' fashioned way, but I think now I need to step up and buy some solvent or something.

...anyone? thanx!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, i did a little more searching, and found another thread where someone was using Maguiar's Hot Rims. I suppose I will try that.

Sorry for posting something that has already been posted! :doh:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Just be careful not to ruin the finish w/ a harsh cleaner, best thing is soap and water and elbow grease. You could also claybar to get out any embedded brake dust. After that, wax your rims like you would the rest of the car or use www.wheelwax.com and then it will be easy to clean them!~ You can also swap out pads for a "dustless" brake pad with some such as hawk hps, cut down on 99% of the dust.....:cheers:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome, thanks for the info. This might sound like a dumb question, but what is claybar? Never used it before. (then again, I never had a car that I loved like my Z before!)

Hey Db, where in Maryland are you? (Gaithersburg, here)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simple Green works well.
I was always under the impression that Simple Green will take the finish right off a rim.... no?

You have had luck with it, in the past?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nevermind about the Claybar question. I have a tendency to just start typing without looking first. Nothing a simple Google search didn't handle. Thanks anyway, though!! :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not really to clean them but...once you have them clean try some wheelwax. It seems to help keep the brake dust from sticking as well. Are you still running the stock pads? I ended up going with the Hawk HPS pads, they squeel a bit BUT vitually no brake dust.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, I still have the stock pads. (and they squeal a little too, actually) The car only has 3800 miles on it. (05 LeMans Enthusiast)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Meguires Hot Rims works great, but I would only use them on stock rims. Wouldnt trust chemicals on aftermarket

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
awesome, thanks for the info. This might sound like a dumb question, but what is claybar? Never used it before. (then again, I never had a car that I loved like my Z before!)

Hey Db, where in Maryland are you? (Gaithersburg, here)
check, see you found the answer....you can get "clay magic" at pepboys or auto zone or someplace like that :cheers: also does wonders for your paint :wink: even on a new car there is "rail dust" sometimes from transpo!

I was always under the impression that Simple Green will take the finish right off a rim.... no?

You have had luck with it, in the past?
Depends upon the finish, I wouldn't trust it on rims........I do use it in the engine bay to keep it clean :) Just don't get it on the paint :werd:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Formula 409. It is available at every supermarket and it works great. People will tell you not to us products like this because it may damage your wheels. First let me qualify this by saying that I have never used 409 on polished wheels. I used it on the 350's stock wheels every week for a year. I have been using it on my new OZs. I used it for over a year on my Viper's wheels. I have used it on my Alfa's magnesium wheels for over 8 years. In fact, it is the only cleaning product I have ever used on any of my vehicles' wheels and I have NEVER has a problem. I do one wheel at a time, spraying the wheel, tire and inner fender, then wash everything and rinse thoroughly. The brake dust literally begins to run off the wheel as soon as the 409 hits it.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Ive always used that quick wax in a bottle on my stock wheels and so when i wash them it comes clean everytime. no way it can stain when there is a layer of wax LOL

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I've had good result with Eagle One's All Wheel and Tire Cleaner.

RZ

·
Registered
286 Posts
Be carefull of wax, for any application; wheels, painted surfaces, funiture, anything. If you consult any auto refinisher that does high-quality work they will advise against appling wax to your car. Wax, even carnuba, gets soft when it gets warm. Warm wax is sticky and will trap dirt. The best product to apply to the painted finish is polish, NOT wax.

This applies to funiture also. Most retailers of high-end funiture will tell you to deep six the Lemon Pledge and use Guardsman Polish

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Just with a Sponge and hot water i guess. Learned my lesson don't use High pressure hose on Volk Racing TE37 like with stickers. Coz you'll blow the stickers away. :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just with a Sponge and hot water i guess. Learned my lesson don't use High pressure hose on Volk Racing TE37 like with stickers. Coz you'll blow the stickers away. :(
Don't use high pressure on stock 35th aniv. rims either. I used the high pressure washer at a car wash, and it actually blasted a small piece of the coating off of one of my wheels :OMG:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts