Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
New to this....What mods are available in Australia (or easy to get sent here) that people have done. Really want to keep it Australian products or if you have ordered stuff from o/s did it bolt straight on!

I will kick it off:
--Have installed a unifilter foam pod style filter with a heat sheild which cost me $249.00 from Unifilter in Hornsby Sydney. I believe there was a slight power increase and the sound at WOT is definetely louder.
Also it sort of whistles (in a good way almost turbo like) at around 3500rpm. A good mod in my book.

Hope to view replies soon....

·
Registered
258 Posts
If your after pure performance there's this little company called APS.. go for a TT setup and im sure you wont be disappointed !!

apart from that go for an exhaust - the APS system or the Hitech system seem to be the way to go, both are australian made and all reviews say good things about both.
If you like the sound of the unfilter you'll love the exhaust sound...

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I would love a TT but $15-$16K is big $$$, not to mention insurance....Have you had any experience with flywheel. Was reading about the tilton flywheel in the states and apparently it feels like a turbo when you put your foot down because of the motor spinning up so fast. Would love to get one here in OZ???? ANY IDEAS??????

·
Registered
258 Posts
nah sorry mate i have no 1st hand exp with a lightened flywheel, but i have heard they do make a difference ..

hehe yeh $15K is a lot for a TT setup... i was thinking about it the other day how I could have a TTZ or my Z stock and have a VR SS as a beater hahaha..
but then again a TTZ would eat most other things on the road over here in Perth except the odd lambo or bombed rotary... turns a **** fine car into a machine haha!

i heard a little rumour that APS are also planning a single turbo kit for the Z... probably be a bit less $$$ as well..

whereabouts in Aust are you?? u should meet up with someone that has the hi-tech or APS exhaust and give it a listen to... sounds daaaamn nice!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in Sydney.
And yes a 350TT would be nearly unbeatable. Would love to have one stealth to blow all those WRX sti away. I can just see their faces (in the rear view of course).
Hopefully, as I get known on the board, will get the opportunity to meet up with people in Sydney.
THANKS

·
Registered
303 Posts
A Tilton flywheel is asking to be tortured!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Chose your mods carefully as not all mods will give you good gains, some will give side effects and every mods counts if your staying NA.

If your going forced induction the APS kit is high in price but it has got to be the best kit available in the world and we are lucky its available here in Australia. It will pass EPA emissions test etc so its totally legal. If your with the right insurance company, old enough with a good driving record then your premium shouldnt go up much. With the huge gains and large potential I think this kit is a very worth while modification.

As a note, nearly all parts from Japan or the US will bolt straight onto our Au-Spec 350zs as they are basically the same car.

Some things that wont fit on our cars are US-Spec TT kits and Headers. Both for the same reason, the steering column is on the other side in their cars so if a product is designed around this then it would interfere with our opposite setup.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'm curious....

How do you know the unifilter has given you any kind of power increase? I keep reading these reviews from people telling me that they noticed gains from their pod filter, but I'm just not feeling it.

Considering the Z33's induction is possibly one of the best factory setups around (the only way you could make it better would be to run the induction up the middle of the engine bay from the nose, with a hole in the front bumper, to maximise airflow and remove all bends to the plenum), and most mechanics say there's no real power difference for NA cars, I'm just wondering how you know?

Still, the sound of a pod filter is awesome (I've had several Z owners ask me what my setup is after hearing my car on the track or at the hillclimb) but, in my mind, its no performance upgrade on a near-stock 350Z. Its definitely not a mod I'd consider a "must have" from my performance-oriented point of view.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scathing,
thanks for the reply. Basically I don't know if there was a power increase never (no dyno), but i do know that the car is getting more air now, the induction roar is very apparent! Yes the stock airbox is excellent design, but the filter area is small. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that the standard paper filter element is the same as used in a pulsar. If true, and I say if, then a 3.5 engine should have a larger element then a 1.8 litre?
The problem with a pod set-up will always be hot engine air. That is why I forked out extra for the heat shield.
Also if the claims are true about the power gains, ie 5-7 hp (3-5kw) then we will never actually feel the gain. You need 15-20kw to notice a difference with the ever reliable bum dyno.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by mickyboy@Nov 24 2004, 07:02 PM
I am in Sydney.
And yes a 350TT would be nearly unbeatable. Would love to have one stealth to blow all those WRX sti away. I can just see their faces (in the rear view of course).
Hopefully, as I get known on the board, will get the opportunity to meet up with people in Sydney.
THANKS

mickeyboy,

Been reading your posts with interest and if it's any help we are in the process of appointing an APS dealer in Sydney to stock and install APS Z produts including the APS TT system (Autotech Engineering ask to speak with Spiro).

Spiro is one **** of a good guy, fantastic on the dyno tuning and his customer service is the best I've ever seen from any shop (absolutely first class).

If you want blow away STI's the 350Z TT is the way to go (I had a run with a fairly strong GTR the other night and to say that GTR was slightly embarrassed would be an understatement) and that's not saying that the GTR was slow by any means. :headshake:

Stopped and had a chat with the guy (he was not going to let me go before we chatted for a while) and he was amazed with the grunt of the 350Z TT, in fact he told me he was off to investigate buying a Z car now. :thumbsup:

If you want to chat further about powering up your Z car I'm only a pm away, good luck and enjoy your Z.

Peter

APS

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by mickyboy@Nov 24 2004, 03:18 PM
Scathing,
thanks for the reply. Basically I don't know if there was a power increase never (no dyno), but i do know that the car is getting more air now, the induction roar is very apparent! Yes the stock airbox is excellent design, but the filter area is small. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that the standard paper filter element is the same as used in a pulsar. If true, and I say if, then a 3.5 engine should have a larger element then a 1.8 litre?
The problem with a pod set-up will always be hot engine air. That is why I forked out extra for the heat shield.
Also if the claims are true about the power gains, ie 5-7 hp (3-5kw) then we will never actually feel the gain. You need 15-20kw to notice a difference with the ever reliable bum dyno.

What I have is the pod with a 'built on' heat shield with custom straight extension pipe extending it towards the front of car.

I have also piped up ambient air from through the grille, through the standard body inlet hole and this is directed straight into the face of the open ended pod.

Like a few guys say, it could be an improvement, it could be a sideways move, (backwards I hope not!) but like you, I at least like the induction noise.
Steve

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'm going to buy some flex piping and run it up from the front grille and up to the air box snorkel. I could go for the full smooth tubing, and depending on if Bunnings has what I'm looking for I'll get that.

Basically, I just want a little pipe that pulls air from the airstream and directs it to just in front of the snorkel, where it'll get sucked through the filter.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it is a great avatar...Don't know about the Lemans Sunset though!
Might have to ask the person that did it to take that colour off...
Just kidding!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts