Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best overall modification for consistant 0-60 mph times in the less than 4.7 to 4.9 second range? I've seen lots of supercharger and twin turbo threads but a lot of these mod's seem to be ending in engine failures. I'm looking for a super reliable mod to hit 0-60 mph in approx 4.9 seconds. Thanks :cheers:

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Not much gonna get you down there beyond F/I with the Z. Why interested in 0-60 times? Its not the most accurate measure of speed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, I know it's not the most accurate in terms of speed. Basically a rough question to see if there is anything close that is reliable. I've driven the 2002-3 Corvette's and they are a blast to drive. The Z is great but it just doesn't pull as hard as a VETTE as long as a VETTE does. I know the VETTE would do 0-60 times in less then 5 seconds. When I bought the Z I was looking for American V8 performance with Japanese quality. Basically, in day to day driving all you really get is hard 0-75 mph speeds before you can get yourself in a lot of trouble. I would think getting the Z in the 325 hp to 350 hp and gaining some more low speed torque would make the car a winner without killing the engine.

Thanks.... :doh:

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you want to stay NA, IMO this would be the best route to go as far as cost to hp gain is concerned:

1. Intake
2. Exhaust
3. UR Crank pulley
4. Lightened clutch/flywheel
5. High flow cats
6. Wide rubber in the rear/better tires
7. Headers

Anything after that, gets to expensive for the gains you would see if you remained NA.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
[/quote]

And even with this mod list you are looking at close to or more than 3k after install cost not including rims and tires.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Nexus/Crawford headers, Injen exhaust, Nexus test pipes, AEM/Injen CAI, JUN flywheel, Crawford cast plenum or AAM/Motordyne plenum spacer, ported/polished throttle body spacer (can't think of the brand, it isn't 350EVO), MaxGround grounding kit, B&M short shifter, lighter wheels, carbon fiber hood, cf fenders (only Carbon Creations makes front cf fenders and hasn't given any weight, so they might not be dry cf, so these would have to be custom), cf rear hatch, cf front bumper (replacement), cf rear bumper (NOTE: all cf would have to be dry cf to actually be worth it, also you could paint over the parts). Don't know how close you could get to 4.8. Nitrous would also help. Oh yeah, and a Technosquare full-spec ECU reflash.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
182 Posts
[/quote]

Good point on the Plenum and the reflash.

But all alot of the other stuff you mention would not be worth the cost, such as the CF stuff. I would rather spend that money somewhere else.

You can safely run a shot of 75 and be consistent with a bottle heater and a window switch.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]

Good point on the Plenum and the reflash.

But all alot of the other stuff you mention would not be worth the cost, such as the CF stuff. I would rather spend that money somewhere else.

You can safely run a shot of 75 and be consistent with a bottle heater and a window switch.
<div align="right">[snapback]78155[/snapback]
[/quote]
Agreed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I purchased the Zed becuz of it's superb styling. 0-60 is hella slow for a sports car. I would rather settle in a EVO or STI if 0-60 is more important. Both those rides can easily be tweaked into a 3.5 seconds car from 0-60.

·
Registered
785 Posts
IMO, to get anywhere near the times you are talking about F/I would be the most cost effective route. If you also want the reliability then engine strengthening also needed (ie) rods, pistons etc etc.

cheers

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
[/quote]

Then you can say bye bye mr clutch

·
Registered
543 Posts
sticky tires... I wouldnt doubt the Z can hit 5.0 or 5.1 0-60s with some good freaking tires. And a few mods would get you to 4.9. Traction is a PITA

·
Registered
182 Posts
[/quote]

What a sweet nitrous purge pic in your sig!

When I had nitrous, my purge was very stealthly shot under my engine. The opponents never knew what hit them. ****, I could even open my hood, and still you couldn't really see any nitrous lines unless you REALLY looked for them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
[/quote]

I'd say easily tweaked to do 3.5 is one of the most unrealistic statements I've read in a long time. IN fact, I don't think I've ever read either of those hitting that. You do realize that neither the Ferrari Enzo, Porsche Carrera, Ford GT or many other super cars with over 500hp and super tires and pure racing technology can't "easily" hit 3.5 seconds.

The best time for the Z I've seen is about 5.3, and I think you should be able to hit 5 with some changes, but I don't think you'll do it that easy without some money being spent. The Z or any sports car isn't meant to be judged on 0-60 times only.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yeah, beer goggles you are right.
To break into the 4's or even low 5's on a regular basis would require major cash investment, not even sticky tyres would do it.

F/I is the way. Could do it with just N/A but the $$ would be comparable to F/I so why bother.

It's not all about straight line speed. If I wanted that I would have bought something faster at a cheaper price.

cheers

·
Registered
310 Posts
I kinda disagree. You could do this without F/I I think and probably without nitrous. Consider the following. I have ranked them in order of need for pure low-end acceleration:

1. 350EVO 3.9 final drive ring and pinion
2. Super sticky tires on light-weight 17" rims
3. Tilton 8-inch flywheel and clutch
4. UD pulley
5. Intake in CAI configuration
6. Exhaust
7. Headers
8. Cats
9. Cams
10. ECU flash and dyno tune
11. Get ride of all excess weight

Then, add practice, practice and practice. Then, practice some more. I bet you could get below 5.0 with the above. The first four items on the list would help you increase torque to the ground (ring and pinion), get into the higher RPMs faster (light flywheel and UD pulley) and hold better traction from the line (tires). All of these are critical for fast 0-60 times. The remaining items would help to increase power reliably and help to reduce some weight. If you really wanted to go insane, you could use titanium components.

The price (sans titanium) would be slightly below F/I and should be a bit more reliable. If it didn't work, it would only take a slight touch of nitrous to push you over the line.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Doubt you could make those parts in Ti for less than $4700.

****, Crawford headers are mild steel and are $1200! That's about 1/4 of the cost and it's not even Ti.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Usually i dont go into these threads because I figure something is mentioned...

but its not here...

1. Good driver.
2. Camber / Toe arms rear.
3. Softer springs in rear.
4. Lighter Wider Wheels & Wider Lighter Tires
5. JWT Pop Charger

·
Registered
150 Posts
[/quote]

Softer Springs??? Softer springs will slow you down, you want quick accel make the springs stiffer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts