Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

best intake for most hp?? please help asap

6K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  badass1g 
#1 ·
i am buying my 03 track model tomorrow, and first thing i want is intake, i want the best one, dont really care about money, just want the best one that adds most hp and best sounds, can anybody give me a link to the best place to buy? thanks in advance

#2 ·
#4 ·
Originally posted by illz33@Jun 14 2005, 04:56 PM
they are all too close to call..

I have the JWT pop charger.. But soon i'll replace with the ARC box.. Just to complete the ARC theme.

You cannot go wrong with the JWT..
[snapback]114181[/snapback]​

Yeah, I think Injen CAI claims more HP, but JWT is a close second. We sell more of the JWT, but Injen is a close second. Hope this helps!

#5 ·
the injen doesn't make that much sound. i have 2 friends with it. the AEM is def. the loudest people ask me all the time what i have. sounds great and super easy install took me about a half hour to do it. bought it through nolimitmotorsport.com they match or beat any online price. i think it cost me like $209.00

#7 ·
I've been informed that under certain circumstances, the JWT Popcharger gave more gains than the Injen. I say go with the Popcharger for performance. If you want that show quality look too, you might want to look into the Injen. It's really cool looking :thumbsup:

#10 ·
i would go with the nismo cai , its got a bypass and i used to have it , realy good intake, and made a pretty good sound when u drove against another car or a wall u could here it whistle like a turbo sound

#12 ·
illz33, larger tubing, different material that won't heatsoak as soon, better filter placement, etc. Those are a few reasons it will gain power.

JWT has long been the best bang for your buck, but never the most power. I would have recommended AEM before I saw Andy@Performance Nissan's thread about the intakes and he said the Injen has the optimum placement of the air filter out of the CAIs. Most people can't rationalize paying $100 more for a few more horsepower. So, like I said, if you want the most power regardless of price, get the Injen CAI (it will help when you are dyno'ing one day and praying for 300rwhp).

#13 ·
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Jun 15 2005, 06:36 PM
illz33, larger tubing, different material that won't heatsoak as soon, better filter placement, etc. Those are a few reasons it will gain power.
[snapback]114932[/snapback]​

I agree. It's just silly going back and forth which is better.

That's like my buddy asking me the other day what battery to get.

"get the one that starts up everytime and is less wieght than the oem battery".

:)

hehe

later.

#14 ·
Originally posted by illz33+Jun 15 2005, 06:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Jun 15 2005, 06:36 PM

hehe

later.
[snapback]114937[/snapback]​

Odyssey PC680MJT :wink: :lmfao:

#15 ·
well i can say this much when i was "intake shopping" i very much did not like the look of the injen filter behind the grill. looks lost and out of place. and the injen makes no additional sound, and i dont like the way the large silicone pipe rubs on the stuck air duct hole through the radiator support. just my opinion im not saying one is better than another. intake is the most overrated BS horsepower you can gain. go with what looks and sounds the best. i have AEM now but am going to take it off because my new intake will be a 3" pipe fed by a 60-1 turbonetics turbo. :irock:

#16 ·
Originally posted by illz33+Jun 15 2005, 06:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Jun 15 2005, 06:36 PM

hehe

later.
[snapback]114937[/snapback]​

So true Chris, the gains you are going to get are going to be minimal, you won't even feel the "increase in hp" it will change the sound tho. MY opinion is get the one that you like the best, I got the K&N Typhoon b/c it's CF heat sheild mainly, that and the intake tube is in the grille, but the filter is where the stock box goes, short ram, cold air, best of both worlds! I don't really think one is better over another, it's personal preference. We've been round this subject more than a few times LOL :wink: :wavey: :yourock:

#17 ·
Originally posted by badass1g@Jun 14 2005, 05:48 PM
i am buying my 03 track model tomorrow, and first thing i want is intake, i want the best one, dont really care about money, just want the best one that adds most hp and best sounds, can anybody give me a link to the best place to buy? thanks in advance
[snapback]114162[/snapback]​

As this has already been stated - beatin the dead horse anyway - a CAI is a CAI. They all suposedly make about the same HP. I can tell you that the JWT popcharge has flowbenched the best out of the whole lot. 2nd was the stock Air Box, Third was the Injen & in last place was the AEM/Nismo. (Nismo is just a rebadged AEM) None of them are really going to "add" HP. Best bet is to get the one that YOU want.

#18 ·
JWT over injen any day. The JWT has a metal air horn, the injen is molded plastic in the filter itself, also the JWT has more surface area than the Injen, with the front portion sucking air through the hole for the stock intake.

Also, Lemans350Z did a before and after dyno with the injen 3 years ago, installed on the dyno and only gained 1hp with it.

#20 ·
It's an intake man. You may get 5HP MAX if you are lucky. I think many people do it more for show. But it's not like it will give you any huge advantage on a Z without one.

#22 ·
AEM is king! you'll love it. noise all day. what did you pay for it??

#24 ·
Originally posted by Buff+Jun 15 2005, 07:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-badass1g
@Jun 14 2005, 05:48 PM

As this has already been stated - beatin the dead horse anyway - a CAI is a CAI. They all suposedly make about the same HP. I can tell you that the JWT popcharge has flowbenched the best out of the whole lot. 2nd was the stock Air Box, Third was the Injen & in last place was the AEM/Nismo. (Nismo is just a rebadged AEM) None of them are really going to "add" HP. Best bet is to get the one that YOU want.
[snapback]114971[/snapback]​

Nope, wrong again! The Nismo is not an AEM! :nana: I called AEM technical rep and they do not make intakes for Nismo. The Nismo CAI on my 05 Anniversary netted a peak of 7 hp and an average of 5.7 across the powerband. Torque gains were a little less. Dyno proven and was the first modification. Answer to the riddle may be better flow from the 05 plenum and slightly higher manifold tubing. :irock: Can't say the same about the stock airbox. :wavey:

Cheers

Jeff :shiftdrive:

#25 ·
Originally posted by JRMSR+Jun 20 2005, 12:47 PM-->
Originally posted by Buff@Jun 15 2005, 07:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-badass1g

Nope, wrong again! The Nismo is not an AEM! :nana: I called AEM technical rep and they do not make intakes for Nismo. The Nismo CAI on my 05 Anniversary netted a peak of 7 hp and an average of 5.7 across the powerband. Torque gains were a little less. Dyno proven and was the first modification. Answer to the riddle may be better flow from the 05 plenum and slightly higher manifold tubing. :irock: Can't say the same about the stock airbox. :wavey:

Cheers

[snapback]117897[/snapback]​

mmmmmmmmmm Jeff, you don't have to go around trying to prove anyone wrong. Seems like you like to go pointing fingers at ppl and saying "YOU ARE WRONG".........you don't have to prove anything to anyone here :headshake:

OH and BTW: The intake subject is like ------->>>
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/jinxxycat/smilies/Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif');}" /> <---------there ya go bill, used it! :wink:

#26 ·
Originally posted by JRMSR+Jun 20 2005, 12:47 PM-->
Originally posted by Buff@Jun 15 2005, 07:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-badass1g

Cheers

[snapback]117897[/snapback]​

They can say WHATEVER they want - take the two & put them side by side & they are EXACTLY the same thing. (Badging is the only difference) Since you don't believe me that Nismo/AEM make the least amount of power - Grab a copy of SportZ & take a look at their CAI Shoot-out. IF you still don't believe call Doug from Crawford. He's FLOWBENCHED them all :werd: I've been around long enough & have done enough of my own "research" to know what I'm talking about. (At least with the N/A mods - don't follow the FI since I'm not going down that road)

Buff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.