Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to draw on the collective wisdom and experience of this forum to explore the 'Best Bang For Your Bucks Performance Modification(s)' for under $2500 AUD.

Thank you

Matt

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Definitely the high flow cats for me or even the cat back exhaust system!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
definitely cat back exhaust and high flow cats

you might get both for 2500, but most likely bw 2.5-3k

matt do you have the 287hp engine? If so, an MD 5/16 spacer and an intake would go well together as well

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
definitely cat back exhaust and high flow cats

you might get both for 2500, but most likely bw 2.5-3k

matt do you have the 287hp engine? If so, an MD 5/16 spacer and an intake would go well together as well
I have the 206 Kw engine. Car built date early 2004.

I have heard good reviews on Crawford hi Flow cats. Where can I source them and how much do they cost? I am also thinking getting the APS exhaust. Any comments??

What sort of perfromance gains do I expect?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You can only be able to get crowford cats from the States... and they are roughly around 800 dollars shipped if I remember correctly... they provide GREAT services!!!

I think the max. power that you will FREE (not creating any from the engine) is around 20rwKW top, but you might see more though... Cat will definitely give more feeling as it increases mid range torque!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yeah the crawford cats cost me around $720 shipped from PerformanceNissan.com

they sound awesome and have gained me ALOT of low end torque

i personally dont like the sound of the APS exhaust, but others do

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your valuable inputs. I will definitely get the Crawford Cats and a brand of exhaust ( undecided, mainly cost driven decision). Then I am likely to take Murray's advice on the ATS Diff and Central 20 final Drive.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You may want to consider a 5/16th plenum spacer, either from Motordyne in the USA (approx $350 not including shipping / local taxes) or from Peter Pilkington in Sydney ($285).

This mod should net up to 10kW at the tyres and is probably the best bang for your buck mod for the Z.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KY 350,

Wow! That's fascinating news. How does the plenum spacer work?? Any pictures??

Matt

·
Registered
60 Posts
IMO high flow cats or even test pipes and exhaust aren't going to give you the biggest bang for the buck unless you're going FI. Look into a UR crank pulley (6-10 rwhp) and a plenum spacer (9-11 rwhp) from Motordyne for best results. Oh...and there's also nitrous! Good luck!

-Bootay

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
IMO high flow cats or even test pipes and exhaust aren't going to give you the biggest bang for the buck unless you're going FI. Look into a UR crank pulley (6-10 rwhp) and a plenum spacer (9-11 rwhp) from Motordyne for best results. Oh...and there's also nitrous! Good luck!

-Bootay
I think the results we have seen from HighFlow cats show about a 7hp increase and UR Pulleys being 5hp.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the results we have seen from HighFlow cats show about a 7hp increase and UR Pulleys being 5hp.
7hp increase from HF cats...thats great! I've done baseline dynos before and after mod installs and didn't get that much even with resonated test pipes. UR crank pulley got me 8rwhp on average. To each their own....

-Bootay

·
Registered
60 Posts
That was with RandomTech cats though so normal crawford cats would probabally be less.

Cool thats a nice gain from the Pulleys, did you feel a difference?
Actually yes I did. It was one of the few little mods that I could tell. I guess it was easier for me to notice since the added power was throughout the powerband, not just peak. I guess I shouldn't really say added power, more like freed up hp. I always dyno my car with the least of expectations, that way I'm not setting myself up for too big of a disappointment. But after dynoing the car with the UR pulley everyone at the shop was amazed at the results.

-Bootay

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guys,

Thank you for all your input. I have done further research and have decided on a list of mods starting with:

1, Central 20 or 350EVO 3.9 Final Drive. I may be able to source Central 20 part, as I have contacts in Japan. The only concern I have is that I don't know of any mechanic who could fit the part competently for me in Melbourne! Any suggestions???

2, Motordyne isothermal plenum spacer.

3, Varis Carbon fibre air duct with ARC air box (or equivalent) and ram pod type air filter

4, UR pulley set

And then eventually on my wish list....

5, Crawford Hi flow Cats

6, Cat back exhaust, maybe Fujitsubo Legalis R or APS dual

7, H&R lowered springs and matching shocks (brand?)

I invite any comments or advice.

Matt :shiftdrive:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts