Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got a Hyfonics Zeus 5 channel amp and am running Polk separates up front and a single Polk rear sub. I am not running any rear speakers.

So my choice of configurations are:

Separate channel for each speaker

Use the active built in crossover in the amp and run
55x2 for the tweeters
55x2 for the midbass
200x1 for the sub

One downside is I will need to run an extra set or wire out to the tweeters (I have already run 12 gauge out to the crossovers already in the door)

or

Bridging the four channels into two

use the passive crossovers that came with the speakers
220x2 to each component set
200x1 for the sub

Any thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
What polks are they.. Usually the higher end component speakers come with quality crossovers that are tuned for the particula speaker set.

Can your components handl 220watts? are you talking MAX or RMS power here?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Use three channels from the amp, 1 per component set, 1 for sub, Use the crossovers that are supplied with the component speakers, as toykilla said these are tuned for the speakers and will divide the frequencies perfectly. Also as toykilla said check your max RMS rating, ideally should only put 60-70% of the rec RMS power to the speakers and fine tune with the gain on the amp, if it is 220 rms that sounds very high.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I really doubt your components can take 220watt RMS. My Infinity Kappa Perfects are only 120-150 RMS. i dumped 75watt RMS to each one and it was enough to make my ears bleed :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response.

I hadn't thought about the tuned crossover, that is a good point.

The speakers are the db6500's

Here are the specs from Polk---
Mid/Woofer 1 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm) Polymer/Mica Composite cone with rubber surround
Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm) Silk/Polymer composite dome
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 40Hz-22KHz
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Power Handling (continuous) 100 w
Power Handling (peak) 300 w
Efficiency 92 dB

It looks like 220 might kill them.

I guess another option is to get another set for the back, wire them up and fade them out. Maybe just wire the midbass and not connect the tweeter, I have enough bells and symbols as it is just driving them through my Clarion HU.

Toykilla, to bad you never finished that sub box for the stock location, I would be looking into that about now. I will most likely make something to go in there as I need my whole trunk to carry these **** Dell 2650s all over creation.

Chris

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
55watts will be plenty .. head units only put out about 20-25watts RMS. So you are essentially doubling the volume and clarity :)

Sorry about the sub-box.. i just have to much other things going on right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts